Aycliffe,England

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
Been wanting to 'start' a My Neighbourhood topic since I joined the forum, well after getting me new camera this weekend! I decided I should start now!
I live in a small new town that was built just after the second world war to create modern housing for all the defunct neighbouring mining communitys ....the town was actually a massive [and I mean massive!] munitions factory during ww2 with thousands of girls supplying the war machine...... many lost there lives in the process, they are honoured around the town, and are known as the Aycliffe Angels.

During the 80's County Durham along with other northern Counties had a terrible time as all the local mines where ear marked for closure...It was a grim time for all and very violent I have tried to choose a few pics to show what it was like....my wife was not happy that I showed my neighborhood at this time but I feel it is such an important part of my life I have to, I just add 3 of the bad images
Orgreave-Battle-Miners-an-003.jpg

miners-strive-orgreave.jpg

MINER2_JPG_gallery.jpg

Re: Aycliffe, England

Right, now I will start posting pics of me and me Panther in my hood!
me. :oops: :oops: ..
SDC10027.jpg

Norsk Hydro works in the background....who remembers that famouse ship??
SDC10021.jpg

SDC10024.jpg

SDC10016.jpg

......Will try and put some more pics up from around the town.....

:D Took me 'ruler' out for a ride tonight on what is the summer solstice here in England...
Thats my 11yr olds school in the background......
SDC10038.jpg

All ...and I mean ALL the worlds railways began here! I'm looking toward Shildon the next town to Aycliffe and the ''cradle of the railways'' those tracks where the first ever laid.....
SDC10041.jpg

Aycliffe was designed to be the most modern town at the time [by Lord Beveridge] and loads of space was given up for parks and fields and meadows like this one in the town...
SDC10039.jpg

I live down there!
SDC10042.jpg

BORIS.

Ace said:
Nice pics Boris, thanks for showing 8)
How is your town coping with the Corus closure ?
Thanks Ace, Well, we are a few miles away so not noticing as much yet, but one of our closer companys showrooms/workshops are noticing a drop in trade. Spent last night at a VW show at Redcar...everyone was is in very high spirits cool atmosphere great Skinhead/Ska band to entertain us
SDC10099.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
Interesting. Would like to see and hear more.
Hi Mate,
Here is an old pic that is always on display in the hall at our sports centre during carnivals and summer festivals etc, it was found in one of the old munitions factorys...
coverhair.jpg

Cool pic we love it

I love your photography, especially the shot of you thru the weeds, that you use for your avatar. That one just grabs me, and says, this guy is good with the camera.

More please!

jerrykr said:
I love your photography, especially the shot of you thru the weeds, that you use for your avatar. That one just grabs me, and says, this guy is good with the camera.

More please!
:oops: :oops: Doh! cheers bud! Keep forgeting to take me camera out with me, here is a monument for the 'Aycliffe Angels' outside the church...
SDC10573.jpg

Latest posts

Back