ATOMIC PUNK - New camera time - August 8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Springer Update!! - June 3

This keeps getting better and better 8) 8)

bean said:
Shocks "dummy" fitted

You're selling yourself short. I can tell from your work and wicked ideas that you ain't no dummy.

That front end looks like it wants to hurt somebody! GET OUT THA WAY! Very nice work...love how tough it looks.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!!..........I've had this springer idea in my head for a couple of years, and was going to build a single shock version for RRBBO6, but ran out of time and enthusiasm. I ended up with the inverted springer last year which I was pretty happy with, but I'm determined to get this one done this year. I hope to be able to get the lower shock mounts finished today so I can start on the rockers.

On the Bareknuckle Brawler springer, the shocks had 850lb springs, and while the springer was functional, it had little actual movement. The shocks I have this time have 450lb springs, so I'm hoping to get a little more movement........not much point building a working springer if the shocks/springs are too hard :oops:

RRBBO6 springer
DSCF1664-1.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - New Springer Stuff - Gettin' There!! - June 5

I went into work early and stayed later today to get some work done. Pretty happy with the result, and I can start on the rockers now.

I cut a strip of 4mm steel
DSCF2649.jpg

Then bent it around a piece of pipe. We have rollers and a press, but as I stated in one of my previous posts, I like to limit my builds to hand tools and basic machinery.
DSCF2653.jpg

Fits the tube okay
DSCF2655.jpg

I then clamped it in a vise and bent the tabs over using oxy-acetylene heat and a hammer and drilled the holes
DSCF2656.jpg

Freshly brazed
DSCF2658.jpg

After a quick clean up with a file and emory cloth........still have to finish it a bit better and I have a small crater in the brass I want to fill up
DSCF2660.jpg

Fitted......needs a slight tweak to get it perfect
DSCF2663.jpg

I have another set of fork tubes with the axle mounts almost directly under the tubes that I'll have to use. These put the axle out too far to be able to get the rockers happening properly. I'll also have to rethink a headlight......maybe mount one on the front axle. If I mount one above the front wheel, I think it will obscure too much of the springer
DSCF2667.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - New Springer Stuff - Gettin' There!! June 5

That springer is a work of art.
Maybe you could flip your tubes around and then have the rockers be this big sweeping curve.

Then you could have sick Sickle rockers

sickle-promo01.jpg

This is one of my favorite builds.Great work so far 8) 8) Can't wait to see more...

Bean, you're doing some really imaginative bits to the fork/springer. :shock: :D
It already has a great flow and adds to the awesome stance!

MplsCoaster said:
Bean, you're doing some really imaginative bits to the fork/springer. :shock: :D
It already has a great flow and adds to the awesome stance!
+1

No picture updates, but I've been sitting and staring at the front end with a measuring tape and sketch book, working out the rockers and lower mounts. I've pretty much got it all nutted out......just have to start working some steel. Also trying different headlights in different spots........I'm keen to put lights on this, as I want to use the vintage microphone as a tail light, but I don't want to hide or clutter up the front end........will probably mount a headlight on the axle :? :? :?

You do such great work, but I wouldn't be offended if you used the "big" tools.

Bean,

Looks great! Very cool springer design, and adjustable too!

Keep at it!

Joe

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Cool Tools!! June 9

Again, thank you for the kinds comments guys :D...........it gives me some extra motivation to keep going if I'm not feeling too enthusiastic!

I'm heading to the workshop tomorrow to hopefully fabricate the springer rockers, so I can get the front end finished. Every time I look at this bike, I get a new idea, and at this stage I don't think I'll be using the acorn nuts as "studs", and I'm still undecided on the Flying A hood ornament.

yoothgeye said:
You do such great work, but I wouldn't be offended if you used the "big" tools.

Thanks yoothgye. I know other people have used "big" tools and machinery in previous build-offs, as well as this one, and that's fine............if you have it and want to use it, go for it.
I feel better in myself though if I stick to hand tools and basic machinery. I don't want to feel as if I've gained some type of advantage in the build-off by using the stuff I have access too. The only work I won't be doing myself in the build is getting the wheels true (I built the wheels, but my LBS trued them for me), and making some stickers. I have done the design work for the stickers and will get a friend who makes signs to cut them for me. Some people may not agree with my views, but that's OK........it would be a boring ol' world if everyone thought the same :wink:

Here's some of the cool tools I get to use every day and have 24/7 access to (I live about a mile away) . I teach at a high school, and we offer Certificate 1 and 2 in Engineering, so have a well equipped workshop.

We have 4 of these and 4 smaller lathes
DSCF2618.jpg

Small 2 axis CNC lathe
DSCF2619.jpg

Milling machine
DSCF2620.jpg

Punch and shears
DSCF2621.jpg

Plasma cutter
DSCF1986.jpg

Cold cut saw
DSCF2622.jpg