ATOMIC PUNK - New camera time - August 8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Bigger Fatter Tires!! - May 18

Is this a motorcycle?? :shock: Looks SWEET! :mrgreen:

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Bigger Fatter Tires!! - May 18

kingfish254 said:
Love those rims! Wish I could find some.
prudy sure I have a set of them wheels... you really want some .. they are urs for the cost of shipping.

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Bigger Fatter Tires!! - May 20

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Is this a motorcycle?? :shock: Looks SWEET! :mrgreen:

Not quite, but they are pretty big :D

Here's a couple of pics for folks that work in both kinds of measurements. The Doublewide rims are 47mm wide. Sorry for the crappy pictures, but I was holding the verniers in one hand and trying to keep the camera steady in the other.

2.75"
DSCF2548.jpg

Close enough to 70mm
DSCF2549.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Bigger Fatter Tires!! - May 20

Tank looks cool and tough! Another BOA-G fan, awesome!
Thanks for posting how you got the decals off, I'm going to steal that method :lol:
Like those double wide rims with them 8)

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Springer work - May 22

Got some tube bent today for the springer using an old bender I found at the bottom of a cupboard at work.

The tube is 20mm ERW with a wall thickness of approx 2mm and it bent very nicely.

I was going to build a similar springer for RRBBO6, but ran out of time and ended up building the inverted springer.

DSCF2553.jpg

DSCF2555.jpg

DSCF2556.jpg

Springer mockup.....held together with tape and cable ties. Now comes the fun part of working out mounts and making rockers etc :D
DSCF2562.jpg

Quite a few homegrown real and faux springers in this BO.

This one is gonna be wicked!

That last shot is so great. Looks like some sort of evil robot bird dino predator.

I am trying a springer too, I just love all the different approaches to building them.

I seem to always bend sissybars in my builds, I could use a bender like that. I use an old car rim and a vise.

Firstly i am loving this build, can't wait to see more.
Secondly, how did you find stems to fit the fork tubes? I thought the fork legs would be thicker than any stem size.

skin_dog said:
Firstly i am loving this build, can't wait to see more.
Secondly, how did you find stems to fit the fork tubes? I thought the fork legs would be thicker than any stem size.

Thanks :D . The stems are just cheap threadless MTB stems........the 31.8mm bar clamp fits perfectly on the fork tubes, and the other end, which would normally fit an 1 1/8" stem came with a reducing sleeve which fits the 25.4mm bar clamp.

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Crank It!! - May 24

Glad I finally had a chance to look at builds I've been missing.Won't be missing this one again 8) 8)

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Springer Stuff - May 28

I've been pretty busy the past week with rehearsals and then playing on Saturday night at a local Bobfest, which is a celebration of Bob Dylan's music and birthday, where 15 acts performed their own versions of 71 Dylan songs (his age this birthday). The band was a Music Teacher and two students from the school I teach at, plus myself. I decided to play congas instead of drums , plus it gave me a good excuse to buy a set of congas :D . Went really well and as a result, we've been asked to headline at an upcoming music festival.

DSC_1444.jpg

Anyway, back to bikes..........I started working on the springer this afternoon. I used a longer set of fork tubes to allow for the suspension travel, as this will be a working springer
DSCF2586.jpg

Cut up a plate from an old triple tree fork to use as the top mounts, and put them between the bar stems and top plate
DSCF2584.jpg

Just holding the shock in place to check on measurements and stuff
DSCF2585.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - New Wheelset - June 1

Not too much done again this week......pesky job and rain getting in the way :wink: .

I took some parts to work and had planned on doing some work on the springer in my lunch breaks, but had some keen students seeking my assistance.......can't discourage enthusiasm!
The bike shop called me yesterday to let me know my spokes and nipples had arrived, so I laced the wheels last night and dropped them off this morning to be trued. They called again a couple of hours later to let me know they were done :D Nothin' like a shiny new wheelset.

Looks like rain all weekend again, but hopefully I can get some springer work done.

DSCF2604.jpg

DSCF2601.jpg

DSCF2597.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Tank Plates started - June 2

I started making the first tank plate template today.......still needs a bit of trimming, but you get the idea. The tank plates are going to be 5mm or 10mm alloy (I have both thicknesses at work) with a hammered and polished finish.

DSCF2605.jpg

I also got another bike finished today thas has been a long term project :D . I dropped the rear end and re-bent the cantilever tubes, and added some rake to the front end. Running a 24 x 3 Fatti-O on the rear and a 26 x 1.95 on the front. I finally got a crank and chain onto it today and took it for a ride. The short crank takes a bit of getting used to, but it shouldn't give me any trouble with pedal strikes......it'll only be used for slow rides around the park with my family and short trips to the store.

DSCF2608.jpg

DSCF2611.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Tank Plates started - June 2

That's a nice lookin' bike as well :!:

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Springer Update!! - June 3

Ape Stanger said:
That springer will rule the nether world! (guitar solo). Nice work.

bighit said:
Love that vintage pipe bender. Can't wait to see the triple clamp monarch fork.

Circa Cycles said:
Glad I finally had a chance to look at builds I've been missing.Won't be missing this one again 8) 8)

Thanks so much for all the positive vibes :)

I hope to be able to spend more time on the bike, and more time time checking out other people's builds. I have been mega busy with other stuff and have not had much of a chance to comment yet on some of the awesome builds happening :(

I did get a couple of hours today to do some work on the springer.......Really happy with what I achieved today :D

An old triple tree top plate, marked where I want to cut it
DSCF2616.jpg

Cutting. Even though I have access to a full workshop 24/7, I prefer to use hand tools and basic machinery available to most of the builders on this site.
DSCF2617.jpg

Filed, marked and centre popped ready to drill.......Luckily the hole that was already there for the stem clamp lined up with where I wanted to drill. I still have a little bit of filing and polishing to do, but wanted to start fitting parts together
DSCF2634.jpg

Drilled
DSCF2638.jpg

Fitted
DSCF2640.jpg

Shocks dummy fitted
DSCF2641.jpg

Starting to get there
DSCF2648.jpg

Latest posts

Back