ATOMIC PUNK - New camera time - August 8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Shocking find!! - May 11

Look close at that hood ornament, I can see an "A" and a "P"....very cool!

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - "Flying A" - May 12

:? :? :? So many tank ideas......................only one tank :? :? :?

Probably where the Flying A will go
DSCF2493.jpg

Top contender for the headlight
DSCF2496.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Punk parts update!! - May 16

No huge updates, but I went to my local bolt and steel shop today and picked up a few things.

3/4" tube for springer parts.......think triple tree meets monark
DSCF2516.jpg

Chrome acorn nuts and threaded rod
DSCF2515.jpg

Every punk needs studs!!.......the bike is laying on it's side with the nuts just sitting there.......not sure on the exact placement or amount yet, but enough to get the idea
DSCF2523.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Punk Studs update - May 16

Great work and ideas...GTB!! Kwazy wratter

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Wheel and tire update - May 18

Jake Sensi said:
Great work and ideas...GTB!! Kwazy wratter

menzorro said:
Very nice... especially like the flying A and bars.

yoothgeye said:
Loving the "studs."

mitchelangelo said:
the studs are Punk-Kool!! Rock it!!!

Thanks, people :D . I've been home from work for two days (don't want to infect my colleagues) with an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (fancy name for a cold :wink: ), luckily I went to my doctor early enough and he prescribed anti-biotics before it got to my chest.

I've been doing plenty of sleeping and not much bike work, but messed around in the workshop a bit today. At the start of this build, I was going to use 26" wheels and tires, but when the rear wouldn't fit because the sprocket and chain were going to rub on the rear dropout, I decided to use a set of 24" wheels I had.

While the over locknut dimension is the same on both rear hubs, the Sachs 2 speed kickback hub I wanted to use has the sprocket offset more to the outside of the bike, and wouldn't give enough clearance. I tried reversing the sprocket, and the hub just fit, but the chain would have rubbed on the frame. The Sachs single speed hub fitted to the 24" wheel, has the the sprocket closer to the hub and has plenty of clearance.

I fitted one of the 3G Boa-G's to a wheel and tried it this morning.............Looks like I'm gonna have to use them now........they just fit the feel of the direction I'm headed with this build perfectly (does that make sense?).

I still have a pair of the SunRims Double Wides unbuilt and another Sachs high flange front hub and Velosteel coaster hub (which will fit and work in the frame), so in a day or two, I'll take them to the LBS, to get them to measure the required spoke length and order them for me. I'll build the wheels myself, but get the bike shop to do the final trueing.

Also decide to get rid of the lovely reflective logos off the tires.........I have done this in the past using acetone and a stiff brush, but didn't want to use any chemicals this time, so used some 800 wet and dry paper. It takes about five minutes per logo, and when the tires are wiped with a damp cloth after sanding, it's almost impossible to see where the logos were.

DSCF2526.jpg

DSCF2531.jpg

DSCF2530.jpg

DSCF2536.jpg

DSCF2534.jpg

DSCF2537.jpg

DSCF2539.jpg

Re: ATOMIC PUNK - Bigger Fatter Tires!! - May 18

Great job so far! Did you buff out the tites after you sanded the logos off? I know that a lot of fashion bags made of recycled tubes are buffed to a nice shine but i dont know if they use any compound/wax/oil?

imagearchy said:
Great job so far! Did you buff out the tites after you sanded the logos off? I know that a lot of fashion bags made of recycled tubes are buffed to a nice shine but i dont know if they use any compound/wax/oil?

Thank you! I still have to finish both tires, but yes, I'll use some spray on car tire cleaner/wax, and they'll come up a treat.

Love those rims! Wish I could find some.

All I did on this build today was remove another logo off one of the tires.........But, I did manage to get the throwout bearing, clutch fork and input shaft all figured out to fit a Toyota 5 speed behind my 1958 Zephyr engine :D :D :D

kingfish254 said:
Love those rims! Wish I could find some.

Skipton said:
Boa-G's, Doublewide Sun rims,

I have lots of envy. :shock: :wink:

jaysmo said:
Skipton said:
Boa-G's, Doublewide Sun rims,

I have lots of envy. :shock: :wink:
i second that....nice stuff!!!

I used to be envious of the cool vintage parts most of you guys have access to, but I guess it's relative to availability...........I drool over a vintage Higgins, Schwinn or CWC frame, but someone likes my wheels and tires :? . I was lucky enough to score 6 of the Doublewide rims a few years ago for $25 each.....there were sold as seconds or shop soiled and only have a couple of imperfections in the powdercoat.....a quick touchup with a paint pen or sharpie was all they needed :D

Latest posts

Back