"artic" conditions in the UK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK i thought some of you guys up in the cold bits of america may wanna have a giggle
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7865159.stm

although london was like the video where i am i got this
f44m5k.jpg

curse the warmer sub-climate of the Isle Of Wight

That is not snow as we know it. This is snow Oswego, New York style two days after the snowfall. Some of the snow has melted. I can hide tall bikes in these snowbanks.
My street north
IMG_1250.jpg

My street south
IMG_1251.jpg

Fire hydrant at end of street
IMG_1252.jpg

Bike path to tunnel
IMG_1253.jpg

Oswego River and Canal
IMG_1254.jpg

Oswego River looking out to Lake Ontario
IMG_1255.jpg

Yes, that global warming thing is no doubt the cause. :roll: I watched your video and it reminds me of when it snows in the SE US. Even a small snow is disruptive for them, and a large snow shuts everything down for days. You're lucky you're on that island and only got a dusting. And remember, don't eat yellow snow. :mrgreen: B607

i am on the almost furthest south part of the UK, quite a title really, and even this "snow" caused a bit of a panic.
it must have been mad up country, on the TV there was stories of people crashing cars and stuff
i dont know how we'd cope with real snow

i kmow london was pretty much shut down, not sure about the whole country
theres been a bit of sledgeing goin on, not sure what else
nothing like what No cars on mars got pretty poor compared with that

We so lame. 2ins of snow and it all grinds to a halt. :oops: :roll:

It may be time to fit my IRC Blizzard ice tyres......

Don't feel bad... It's the same everywhere in the US except for the Northeast and Midwest. 2 inches of snow anywhere south of New Jersey, and you can sit back and watch hours worth of panicked footage of people slamming into each other on the highway on CNN...

that looks well cool, not sure how id cope with it wayyyy too cold and id have a really bruised butt

i went out for a snowcycle today and it was quite fun to see all the people driving sooo slowly but with a huge amount of engine revs and wheelspin
im not sure what the correct driving method i on snow but i guess its low revs low speed highish gear
the bike made sense today tho!!

maybe this should be a 'whats the weather like where you are thread'
ill change the name if i knew how

One word sums up the northern and midwest's ability to drive in bad winter weather conditions....SALT.

Down in the south we don't get much snow...usually just freezing rain and sleet and all they have to fight it off is sand.

You end up driving on a skating rink....which as far as I know...nobody can drive on.

Seems like we get two or three of these days a year down here in Dallas and they usually shut things down for a day...which I don't mind. :D

This thread reminds me why I'm a warm weather lover.....especially those shots of the grungy snow piled on the sides of the road for months on end.

I work with a translplanted liverpuddlian, he lives here in the snowbelt and was keeping tabs on "home" with great amusement yesterday...

Hey No Cars On Mars, thanks for posting those pics of Oswego... and I thought we got a lot of snow when I was living in Rochester. I remember hearing about your 10 foot pile a few years ago while I was in college. Incidentally, they didn't cancel classes at RIT ever during the time I was going to school there. Even when my car was encased in an inch of ice.

People in the south may not have heard of "Lake Effect" snow that northern NY is used to.

That is some crazy stuff up there.

My 7 years in Michigan was just enough time to enjoy the snow....all before I was 17. :mrgreen:

Most of our snow melted last week, but today it is snowing so hard that there is a whiteout alert. You can actually hear the snow hitting the ground :shock:
IMG_1848.jpg

Road salt works when its warmish -10 or -15c (canadian standards for winter), but is ineffective past that temperature. Sand/ small gravel is what gets us by up here!

Next time to snows go to a big EMPTY parking lot and practice driving in the snow. Put your car into a skid and try to recover from it. Drive into the skid.
When driving in the snow keep you speed down and drop it into a lower gear. That why there are 3 speeds on automatics.
I had a 1970 Chevy Belair with a 350 engine while delivering pizzas back in 1979-80. I could drive thru any snow. After a while I could make the car turn while skidding in the snow. I would come up to an intersection and hit the brakes, turn the wheel in the direction I wanted to go. The car would still go straight ahead until I released the brakes and the car would snap around the corner.
WARNING about practicing in parking lots. If the lot has light poles with just a big concrete base, they do move around the parking lot . One minute you think they are 100 yards away then you pull out of a skid and the light is 2 feet away. This is a fact. THEY DO MOVE. Just try it some night. I have had it happen to me and other friends.

thanks for the advice man, dont think ill see snow again for a year or two
mum wouldnt let me go out in the car :roll:
she said someone would crash into me
talk about faith in other road users

Latest posts

Back