Around Whittier, CA

Discussion in 'MY NEIGHBORHOOD' started by jwm, Feb 25, 2011.

1. jwm

jwm

0   0   0

[​IMG]

In the mid 70's this was private property. I used an old middleweight girl's Schwinn to go slamming down these trails. Now, it's part of a park.

[​IMG]
    View from the ridgeline looking toward the coast.

[​IMG]

Looking the other way, at Mt. Baldy

JWM
  2. aka_locojoe

aka_locojoe

0   0   0

That trail sure looks inviting.
  3. jwm

jwm

0   0   0

It is a beautiful walk through one of the very few canyons and hillsides that have never (in my lifetime) burned. Most of the hills, and canyons here in the Southland have been burned to ground several times that I know of. They grow back just fine in a couple of years. I was coming up here forty years ago- sometimes with friends, but mostly alone, to drink beer, or sneak a buzz. Then you could spend an entire day in the wild, and never see another soul. The park has been somewhat of a mixed blessing. On the one hand the land has been saved from development; on the other hand, now it's full of rules, signs, rangers, hikers, horses, litter, and mountain bikes. And the &*%@%$ taggers around here deface everything they can in even the remotest corners.

JWM
  4. ultraman019

ultraman019

0   0   0

5. Santee

Santee

0   0   0

Wow, My Uncle lived on Wilbur St for years in Whittier........., Those were the days in California! Now......(Sigh...........) These views are going away to build another Lowes or Home Depot Shopping Center. :(
  6. radryan

radryan

0   0   0

hey i live in whittier too!
  7. jwm

jwm

0   0   0

Cool! Do you ride the Green Trail here in town? Mary and I cruise it every once in a while. Be sure to come out for the next Rat Rod Ride. June 9 in Huntington Beach. Check the Events section. I'll have a thread up in just a bit.

JWM
  8. radryan

radryan

0   0   0

ya i do from time to time with my girlfriend, all right i will check it out
  9. geoff5

geoff5

0   0   0

I was born and raised in Whittier, still live here. The greenway trail is a fun ride also uptown is cool.