Are 112 links enough?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Buying new chain for my BOTEN build, should a 112 link cover a 46/16 drivetrain on a 'standard' 26" cruiser? I'd hate to have to buy two chains to get 4-10 links.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It should.... but measure your stays. you'll need 32 links to cover your sprockets, plus you can measure your chainstay (center bb to axle) and you'll need to add as many links as the stay is, in inches, multiplied by 4. So, yeah, if your chainstay is 20" long, you'd theoretically need 32=80=112, which'd be exactly enough, although i'd feel better if you had a few extra. Luckily, most cruisers have shorter stays than that, typically in the range of 18" to 19.5"...

But yeah, as with most things, measure stuff before you buy...:thumbsup:

Sounds good; good luck. Pro tip: always save extra links; if you run the same type of chain, you'll always have a few spare links for a build with bigger sprockets or longer stays....

Do you have an old chain you can test it with , then start counting links .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok let start a betting pool $$$
What do you think Dr.

I think I'll be OK on funding, the kid can go to community college her first year......[emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's my motto also nothing wrong with that , that's what my daughters been doing , with or with out a new chain on her bike lol [emoji13]

Just an FYI, one link to spare
63e40d3aad9382838d01eb730df74620.jpg

Just an FYI, one link to spare
63e40d3aad9382838d01eb730df74620.jpg
Well congratulations you made it I guessed 3 , that's funny because I was thinking about this earlier & wonder if you got your chain yet !!!! Guess you got your money's worth ....

Latest posts

Back