Araya Rims problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a set of Arayas with the stamping on them clearly saying they are 24x1 3/8 but when I went to put some 24" tires on them the tires were too small. Has anyone else out there run into this kind of problem or am I not understanding this tire and wheel sizing issue :? can anyone give me some advice :| ? I am pretty new to this bike rebuilding scene but have a good understanding of measuring and sizing. Thanx.

Best help I can suggest is read this here- http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

"Brown's Law Of Tire Sizing:
If two tires are marked with sizes that are mathematically equal,
but one is expressed as a decimal and the other as a fraction,
these two tires will not be interchangeable"
(Quoted from above site link)

hardcore73 said:
I recently picked up a set of Arayas with the stamping on them clearly saying they are 24x1 3/8 but when I went to put some 24" tires on them the tires were too small. Has anyone else out there run into this kind of problem or am I not understanding this tire and wheel sizing issue :? can anyone give me some advice :| ? I am pretty new to this bike rebuilding scene but have a good understanding of measuring and sizing. Thanx.

were you mounting 1 3/8 tires? there are actually several "24"" labeled diameters. 24x1 3/8 is not the same as 24x fat tire...

if you are running 1 3/8 tires then you might have an araya made schwinn s-5/s-6 rim. althought the arayas i've seen in this diameter in the past were marked 1 1/4.......

I think i am just going to take them down to my local bike shop and see what they say about these rims. Thanx for the feedback but it still doesn't quite make sense to me, hopefully they can explain it to me and hook me up with the right size tires. :|

24 x 1-3/8 are a bmx size rim, they are for junior and mini cruisers. They are a larger diameter than normal 24 x 1.50 and 1.75 rims. There are quite a few 24 x 1-3/8 tires available for them, but they are really narrow and won't look right if you're trying to build a fat tired cruiser.

had a similar problem with 26x1 3/8 tims. the 1 3/8 is a skinny tire, these were more likely for racing bmx and will only fit 1 3/8 tires. they will become more commone once you realize they exist :roll: ask me how i know

The link is the second post is the best writeup on tire sizing.

Cliff Notes of it: fractions and decimal never equal each other.

Yeah so I talked to the local shop and he told me alot of what all y'all is sayin' so I've got it figured out and now know what tires I'm using 8) It is a junior cruiser I'm building for my youngest daughter and though the tires wont be fat I think they'll still look sweet :p Pics to come later

Latest posts

Back