Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" Build thread.

bigfatcat said:
I would not be opposed to a slight extension due to outside forces! :D :D

Thanks for the thought Terry, but I would rather present the bike unpainted than ask for an extension.
Working to a fixed deadline is part of the fun! :mrgreen: :wink:

Luke.

Am I too late to Build in this? :shock:

I have a muscle project that's been blazing in the back of my mind, just need funding xD
Got the frames but need spare metal xp

iven said:

I have a muscle project that's been blazing in the back of my mind, just need funding xD
The deadline for this build to finish is Midnight on the 10th March 2013. So if you can get crack-eeeh-lacking you can make it....

Jake "oleskool" is the man to check with, it is his build off, but provided you meet the rules in the first post on page one and can get it done by the deadline...

Luke.

Dang! I should've checked this earlier! You guy are knocking out some sweet bikes! I need to keep up with this thread from now on. :mrgreen:

iven said:

if you can meet the deadline, i dont see why not. ;)

Jake

As I slowly fight my way to the finish I am finding some things I had not fully thought out, this may either require me skipping the addition of the feature for this build till after the comp, or last minute changes to my build to accommodate the features... Parts delivery are also becoming an issue... I am going to be fighting this one right to the wire I think :shock:

Well, considering all of this is new to me, and most of the components are built by me :mrgreen: I'll chock it up to being a rookie and move on from here.

Rich

Sounds like you are where I was this morning Rich, thankfully one big day has put me back on track, hopefully the same will happen for you...

Big day, just finished (12:30am here) absolutely worn out but needed to get some things achieved and worked out to have any chance of making it.

Started with remaking the rear seat support, I was never happy with my first attempt and it was also not adjustable for height, which means when my wife tried to go for a ride (she is a little shorty) she could not get started and ended up losing some skin off her leg to one of the pedals. :oops: Very happy with the way the new one has come out, it looks nice and neat and not as bulky looking as my first attempt. I split some square tube down the side to end up with 1x1/2 inch channels where the bolt holes are, then joined it at the top to some 1/2inch square tube, looks nice and the seat can now be adjusted up and down 5 inches and forward and back 9 inches, plenty of adjustment for any rider.

DSC00269 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I also made up ways to extend the brake cables as I would have needed cables 2.4meters (8foot) and 2.1meters (7foot) long due to the tall ape hangers and the reversed rear brake on the normal drive side. Now I can have one normal length cable each side from the bars down to the joining area, join them together and a new cable running back from there to the brakes. This is the one on the normally non drive side...

DSC00272 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

You may notice in that picture the top of the name/number plate welded to the back of the seat pole, I tried to get a picture of it but they all came out blurry because of the darkness and reflection of the flash off the plate. The plate is made out of a piece cut from an old Datsun boot lid (trunk lid) and reinforced with 6mm (1/4inch) round bar on the edges.

Also got the non drive side chainwheel welded up to the crank leg, got it straight and true first time so happy with that, welded on all the cable guides so I dont have to use cable ties everywhere, modified a bmx axle mount kickstand to work with the much wider and taller rear wheel, fixed the seat post clamp that I had welded on slightly crooked and numerous other small items that needed doing, so aside from welding on 1 inch extensions to the handle bar ends all my welding is now done, still plenty of grinding, sanding and filing to go before I start thinking about paint... :roll:

But, I'm back in the game! :mrgreen:

Luke.

It's ugly, I have some issues here. My schedule for the next week is not going to allow me the time I need to correct some of this stuff... I was hoping an hour working in the garage would change things. I could continue on with a couple of things I know are wrong and finish... but than I just don't feel it right now... and the time it would take to tare it down afterwards may not be worth it... Dropouts are in the wrong direction to place the disks on. the bottom cross member is to low for the tall tires, I have a couple of alignment issues at the top of the tree... Man, those forks turned into a disaster :)

Well, sheepish grin time, all the rest of the other bikes you guys made are looking terrific though :)

I'm gonna do something fun today, working in the garage ain't it :roll:

Sad to hear it Rich. :(
RichL said:
I'm gonna do something fun today, working in the garage ain't it :roll:
Sometimes a day away from a project is all you need, hope you have a nice day, whatever you do! :wink:

Luke.

That sucks rich! I hope you have fun though!

Luke that's a slick idea for the cables. Should look awesome all run too! I'm really curious to see what that beast double cable lever looks like finished!

No updates for you guys today from me, afraid I massively overdid it yesterday and feel I am lucky to be out of bed at all today, should have stopped part way through, but you know what it is like when you get on a roll with something... :roll:

Got a better picture of the name plate and rear seat bar plus the now matching pair of crank arms...

DSC00273 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Catch you next update.

Luke.

Thats looking good Luke, constantly adding cool new things :) You have a very solid build here :)

After sometime away, I came back today and started to fix and correct the forks, I made a couple of design decisions that are helping me in the end, and I do believe they are making the bike better than I had originally planned for. Tomorrow I have some things todo, so instead of showing the same old bike over and over, I'll leave everything till than. With any luck it will have a bb, new seat, and be rolling 8)
While the steering is sluggish due to the length of the forks, no flop :wink: So that was at least one thing I did correct.

Onward and forward.

Rich

Hello all. My build is now complete. I have everything on it I wanted now (functional and decorative). I am very pleased with the final result. I will post final pictures as soon as I can go to the library and use a computer because it doesn't work from this tab. Again, I am very jmpressed with what is being built from this build off from all of you. Good luck to everyone.

All the builds look great. Looking forward to seeing them all "finished"... well finished for the build off anyway :lol:

Mine is coming along... slowly. I have done some more welding and some parts have arrived, so hopefully will be onto final assembly soon... no time for assembling and disassembling for testing etc... will just have to hope it comes together ok.

Here are some photos of my dodgy welding
:oops:

09_Weld1.jpg

10_Weld1a.jpg

11_Weld2.jpg

12_Weld3.jpg

13_Weld4.jpg

Last edited:

HELLO ALL :D . I am proud to introduce you all to the LIONESS. My completed build.

dscn0234_zps91021699.jpg

dscn0233_zps777fcd54.jpg

dscn0237_zpsfbb42d96.jpg

dscn0238_zps39878d50.jpg

dscn0235_zps84709105.jpg

dscn0240_zpsaaba21d4.jpg

dscn0245_zpsc81db647.jpg

Latest posts

Back