ANYONE NOTICE VINTAGE BMX IS PICKING UP STEAM?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Its the dominate vintage bicycle crowd in my town, most all the bike shows in the south east are filled with them.

Have you gotten the bug yet?

1970 -1999 BMX bikes coming of age, they are starting to become collectible. BMX has been the dominate childhood bicycle choice for 2 generations now(my dad's as well as mine)

What do you guys think? One day when the classic cruisers we love are too hard to find, and BMX bikes are becoming the most sought after vintage bicycles. Will you embrace the change?

Many of the rat rodders around us have starting incorperating bmx parts and elements to their builds. I know I have 8)

A year or two ago, You never saw interest in BMX here, Now its all over the forums!

I didn't really notice until I picked up some 80's diamondbacks from the flea market and others had some serious interest in them. Luckily it hasn't caught on in my town, so some are still out there to be found for cheap.

ozzmonaut said:
I didn't really notice until I picked up some 80's diamondbacks from the flea market and others had some serious interest in them. Luckily it hasn't caught on in my town, so some are still out there to be found for cheap.

Good point! I have had some good deals here around town but people are seeing that interested has spiked, causing the price to spike also :|

Pardon me for asking; but how old are you guys (you and your Dad)?

The reason I ask is because I think I'm at the crossroads of this: My first two bikes were Sting-Rays, but my last - until recently - was a BMX.... there was definitely a progression there from wheelies to jumps, and makeshift tracks....and I'm 41 (still goin' on 22)

I haven't seen a price-spike yet; but I bet it's coming....

I've never been a fan of BMX bikes, I believe bikes belong on the ground, even when I was little, but right now vintage everything is popular. Things just are not made like they used to, and the nostalgia thing is very popular right now. When I was a kid in the 80's everything 50's and 60's was popular, and now in the 70's and 80's are the big thing. I just wish I had a fraction of my old things, I could be an E-bay Millionaire!

Jimmy the Gent said:

The reason I ask is because I think I'm at the crossroads of this: My first two bikes were Sting-Rays, but my last - until recently - was a BMX.... there was definitely a progression there from wheelies to jumps, and makeshift tracks....and I'm 41 (still goin' on 22)

17 my friend, dad is 40 8)

Double Nickle said:
Jimmy the Gent said:

17 my friend, dad is 40 8)

Then my theory fits. 8)

One thing I have noticed is that BMX bikes are enjoying a comeback of sorts around here. I mean; they never really went away, but I'm seeing a lot more of them then I used to.

...mostly ridden by kids.

Ive noticed that. Im not all that fond of them but some of my buddies are

I've seen it around here a lot, I sell them soon as I find them, I am always keeping my eyes peeled for old Dyno, diamondback, redline, GT, even some Mongoose bikes, exc.

Your right ! i first noticed about five years ago :mrgreen: Where you been Man :?:

I'll probably sell off any cool bmx's I find... until I find a hot pink gt performer with white mags that I can afford. I'll keep that one. That's probably also the only bmx I'd trade a Schwinn tanker for as well. The first price spike I noticed was about 5 years ago as well, but I didn't see it in person until about 3 years ago. Up until then it was ebay, and I just assumed ebay was the problem at that time. Now I see that people are getting serious about collecting them. In fact , most of the hardcore bmx collectors are more meticulous about correct parts or variations and conditions than other collectors. It has to be a specific framestyle with correct anodized rims, the right stamp on the stem and clamps.

This has been going on for years here in So Ca (the birthplace of BMX) and the prices people ask for this stuff is almost stupid. In this economy ,people just can't justify spending big dollars to hoard old stuff just because it's cool.Don't get me wrong, I love BMX, I raced my last time sometime in 1980 on my Mongoose . This link is to a local CL post that will blow you away--I mean, just look at his price for pedals!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/sear ... k=&maxAsk=

MOODSTER said:
This has been going on for years here in So Ca (the birthplace of BMX) and the prices people ask for this stuff is almost stupid. In this economy ,people just can't justify spending big dollars to hoard old stuff just because it's cool.Don't get me wrong, I love BMX, I raced my last time sometime in 1980 on my Mongoose . This link is to a local CL post that will blow you away--I mean, just look at his price for pedals!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/sear ... k=&maxAsk=

Wanna know something crazy? If I where local to him, I would buy those. Thats actually not a bad price ( Its bad that its $275 but those go for $325+)

I'm Restoring a Hutch XL 24 and need those for my build!

But you are right, the prices are crazy, But the reason vintage Bmx prices are higher than vintage cruiser is because Bmx parts are high performance and where expensive when they where sold new.

I think Hutch bear traps retailed at like $80

I bought an Mongoose with ACS "mags" a few months back and it hooked me pretty hard. I recently traded a trike for a '98 Dyno Compe, I thought it was too new to be worth anything, but you said 70-99, so maybe I should look again at this bike!

I rocked a Huffy Pro Lightning back in the day...then I got this a few years ago, I just loved the throwback 80's colors!
62d018bc-5975-f95e.jpg

I am 40 and recently got the bug. You know the same thing happened in cars. When I started watching Barette Jackson auto auctions, it was all about 50's and earlier cars. Usually WAY earlier. Then a few muscle cars started creeping in. Now it feels like it is all muscle cars! And the prices they fetch are CRAZY!!

Classic case of those who wanted them as kids, are buying them as adults. Same with BMX.

A bike flipper told me recently that muscle bikes are quieting down as the bmx is taking off. Makes sense as the age bracket of mid life crisis shifting again. :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
I bought an Mongoose with ACS "mags" a few months back and it hooked me pretty hard. I recently traded a trike for a '98 Dyno Compe, I thought it was too new to be worth anything, but you said 70-99, so maybe I should look again at this bike!

Dyno Compes are sweet...

Latest posts

Back