Anyone else like to use “odd” bikes to cover distance?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a budget friendly chopper bicycle for cruising around, and found that I didn’t like the stock gears, so I swapped them out for a 52t front and a 13t rear. Much more comfortable to “cruise” at higher speeds. Lately I’ve been doing 30 plus mile rides, and I only ever see road and touring bikes. Who else likes to use their bikes for unintended purposes? What kind of bike? What do you do with it?

I put the second most amount of miles on the Retro Rocket. I figured it was going to see little use, particularly because it's a little small for me (I built it from my late mother's bike and she was about 6 inches shorter), but it's just too much fun to ride.

IMG_7125.JPG

14/69-80 tooth 68' Hawthorne Formula 3sp. 20 miles per day with a high teen average. Range 60+ mi. Gone over 50 mph in slipstream level ground. 27.5 Lbs. Has an ultra lightweight crank with adjustable arm lengths for climbing and efficiency. Maintain 90 PSI front and rear. Stopped counting around 1500 miles. Use it to go hunting.

Formula.jpg

I don't ride it like you'd expect. The 16'' bar was originally for looks. Hold down low. Doesn't brake well.

What you're able to do with a single sp is impressive to me. I know what your ride feels like. Not efficient. You effectively created a cool looking exercise machine. Be interesting to see your ride data, mainly the elevation profile.

Brakes are important right... Ride on!

Everything I have rode on has been flat, there are some hills around, but I just walk with my bike. I’m thinking about an internal gear hub, but I’ve never rode with one, and I keep reading about energy loss, and I don’t wanna spend that kind of money and hate it lol I’m really leaning towards a 5 speed though...

Everything I have rode on has been flat, there are some hills around, but I just walk with my bike. I’m thinking about an internal gear hub, but I’ve never rode with one, and I keep reading about energy loss, and I don’t wanna spend that kind of money and hate it lol I’m really leaning towards a 5 speed though...
Couldn't see how you were taking it up hills, still a challenging ride though! Saw you towing?:13: With gears you'll last longer. Won't be able to detect a loss. High performance tires is key:wink1:

Yeah towing is.... interesting... my kayak weighs over 100 pounds, and the cart I made isn’t very good, but I’m a few blocks from the harbor, everything close is sea level. I’m gonna make a better kayak cart, and if there isn’t noticeable loss from an internal hub I should probably prepare myself to be financially in the hole lol

The Nexus 4 would be perfect but it's been discontinued. The Nexus 3 and 7 speed are pretty common. Might be able to get a good a deal for a used hub, shifter and wheel.

I’m looking at the sturmey archer 5 speed, I feel like the two higher gears would be beastly, and the lower ones would be much better for towing my kayak around. Are those any good tho?

14/69-80 tooth 68' Hawthorne Formula 3sp. 20 miles per day with a high teen average. Range 60+ mi. Gone over 50 mph in slipstream level ground. 27.5 Lbs. Has an ultra lightweight crank with adjustable arm lengths for climbing and efficiency. Maintain 90 PSI front and rear. Stopped counting around 1500 miles. Use it to go hunting.

View attachment 147037
I don't ride it like you'd expect. The 16'' bar was originally for looks. Hold down low. Doesn't brake well.
I’ve been thinking about this bike all day, the shifter location and seat post setup are a thing of beauty, that sprocket is insane, and every time I look at it I notice something cool.

I have a Nexus 8 speed IGH. I hated it at first and love it now, but the loss is definitely detectable. The gears make up for the loss, you just have to get over the fact that you do lose energy. Haven't had enough experience with the 3s, 5s, or 7s to say on those. A lot of the other Chicago RRBers put long miles on the nexus 3 speeds.

Also have a 2 speed kickback, don't notice any loss at all on that. Gives you a little something extra, but not a hill climb gear.

Chicago is flat, I ride all over on a decent quality single speed. But so does every other kid here with beard and tight pants. So that's not exactly unusual.

View attachment 147037
That thing is awesome @hamppea

This might qualify for the original query. I imagine it is odd that I bike 10 miles a day, 7 days a week (as much as possible) on a single speed cruiser. Sometimes on my Saturday ride a whole bunch of road racers go by me from the opposite direction on part of my ride. We look at each other and wave. I figure that some might scoff at my truss rods. whitewalls, teardrop headlight, vertical riding position, full fenders and chrome, chrome, chrome. Each world has its' place. I respect them for what they do. When it is all said and done we are fellow cyclists.

IMG_2458.JPG

This might qualify for the original query. I imagine it is odd that I bike 10 miles a day, 7 days a week (as much as possible) on a single speed cruiser. Sometimes on my Saturday ride a whole bunch of road racers go by me from the opposite direction on part of my ride. We look at each other and wave. I figure that some might scoff at my truss rods. whitewalls, teardrop headlight, vertical riding position, full fenders and chrome, chrome, chrome. Each world has its' place. I respect them for what they do. When it is all said and done we are fellow cyclists.

View attachment 148112
That’s a perfect example! I love the cup holder too. I feel like the seating position on cruisers let you be more aware of your surroundings. It’s easier to sit back and enjoy what’s going on in the world. I do a lot of birdwatching and I feel like beach cruisers are perfect. Quiet, simple, upright, comfortable.

I feel like the seating position on cruisers let you be more aware of your surroundings.
Cruisers make city bikes for this reason. Easy to turn your head. Many downtown areas are flat, so you don't need many gears.
Plus lights, fenders, shiney bits, and bright colors are always great to have in the city.
Cantilevers give you more options for your U lock.

Whenever I'm in city traffic and I see a guy head down, bum up on a racebike or even a tall fixie with drops, I try to keep in mind that looking behind him is going to be a difficult exercise, and more likely than not he's going to drift lanes whenever he checks his blind spot.

It amazes me when I read the distances some people cover on coaster equipped vintage bikes. I have a number of bikes with different internally geared hubs but I have to admit the simplicity of my 51 Panther with a coaster makes for a very different and surprisingly decent ride. Phranq have you considered a Sturmey Archer front drum hub. I have one on my Menace and braking is good.

Latest posts

Back