Anybody found an option for overpriced vintage chain guards? Fender skirts maybe?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have been getting a little frustrated looking for cool vintage chain guards. Not only with the rarity but the price tag that comes with it being highly sought after. I don't really care about having a rare chain guard on most of my rat builds, but I do want something that looks cool. I got a brilliant idea to search ebay for fender skirts. Although some of theme do range even higher than chain guards, there are some cheaper ones too. Especially if you find a single. Has anybody tried this before? Below is a 1960 Impala skirt that has possibilities.

s-l1600.jpg

Still a little high...$35 and $15 shipping though.

Cool idea.
If I had a left handed bike, I would split the cost on the Edsel guards. :p

Prices for bike parts on eBay are generally ridiculous. People rarely post these items on CL. Best place to score these items are at bike swap meets. See them all the time.

PS: love the old Columbia chain guards. The are the coolest ones out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prices for bike parts on eBay are generally ridiculous. People rarely post these items on CL. Best place to score these items are at bike swap meets. See them all the time.

PS: love the old Columbia chain guards. The are the coolest ones out there.

I wish that we had more swap meets in this area. It is funny, if you asked 10 different rat rod bikers which chain guards are the coolest...there would probably be 10 different answers. My all time favorite, the Elgin gothic that looks like a surfboard :inlove:

I wish that we had more swap meets in this area. It is funny, if you asked 10 different rat rod bikers which chain guards are the coolest...there would probably be 10 different answers. My all time favorite, the Elgin gothic that looks like a surfboard :inlove:

That is a really cool chain guard!

Only a few times.....everyday!!:)
Hey you never know when you will hit pay dirt. Was looking for an Electra Rally Sport seat all over the place and found one here that a member sold to me at a very decent price. Of course you know most of us are hoarders and would rather give up our grannies than part with our stuff!

PS: The old circular wide and short Columbia chain guards with the swept back wings are one of the coolest ones out there b

Thank your for posting this. I am supposed to me moving into a house with a garage. When I do I am getting a metal slip roll, an English wheel, hammers, dollies, and the like and start knocking out my own parts. Skirts, chain guards and fenders are a great place to start.

Thank your for posting this. I am supposed to me moving into a house with a garage. When I do I am getting a metal slip roll, an English wheel, hammers, dollies, and the like and start knocking out my own parts. Skirts, chain guards and fenders are a great place to start.

Does that mean we all have a custom guard maker we can PM when we have an idea?

Does that mean we all have a custom guard maker we can PM when we have an idea?
CeeBee answered that one for me. I rarely throw anything away so there maybe a chance to buy inexpensively or get for free the stuff I churn out while learning. I plan to keep using aluminum because it won't rust.

- by Gigmata

Latest posts

Back