Any of you have sentimental bikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My pappaw's (yeah, I'm a redneck) old Schwinn is hanging in a shed over at my dad's house. I'm not sure of the year or model of it, but it's the one he used to get around until he finally got his driver's license sometime in the 70's. My dad restored it for him as a Christmas gift sometime in the 90's, and he used it a ton then to go to the post office and what not. Anyway, it's in riding shape now just needs some air in the tires. Part of me would like to do a restoration, but then again I don't want to loose the character he gave the bike over the years. When dad restored it he spray bombed the frame, but I can't remember if he stripped the original paint or not. Assuming he did, what do you think would be the best way to handle it?

This one is probably the one I'd be least likely to get rid of, so it's the one I'm closest to sentimental about. It's a 1959 J.C. Higgins Flightliner. I have only owned this particular one for a couple years, but it is exactly the same model as one I got for my 9th birthday. I eventually wore that one out on paper routes and we threw it away. This one is complete and in original condition. It's the closest I'll ever get to having my first one. My mom saved everything when they bought something new, so I still have the paperwork, handlebar hang tag, etc. that came with mine in 1959.

I had my Dad's Schwinn Racer complete with a Miller Generator Headlight and a 1961 Schwinn Typhoon 2 speed kickback.

My Dad gave me both bikes years ago and told me to sell them if I wanted. I could never get myself to sell them and kept both bikes for 20 years. Both bikes were in Fair condition with everything working but, had some cosmetic flaws here and there.

Just recently, I looked at both bikes and decided I would never ride or restore the bikes so, I decided to see if the Local Neighborhood Antique bike shop would want them. After showing the bikes to the owner, he said, he liked both bikes and asked how much I wanted. I said, how about $50 for the Racer and $30 for the Typhoon, the shop owner said, I'll give you $50 each and I accepted.

I was glad that the bike shop could use our old bikes and could eventually sell them to someone who would appreciate them.

I went out and bought a new Schwinn Cruiser that I really enjoy riding!...

Oh... I still have my sons first baby bike that I taught him how to ride!...It's still in great condition and I'll never sell that one! :D

Years ago my Father-in-law asked that I build him a bike. While I was in the progress of building it he was diagnosed with cancer. I completed and gave him the bike but he only got to ride it a time or 2 before he passed away. The bike was then given back to us. My wife and I ride it and it's the bike my Father uses when he rides with us.

1.jpg

My late Father-in-law on the bike.
100_0573.jpg

My Father on the bike.
dad_bike_arkansas_river.jpg

Wife on the bike just a couple of days ago.
P1150852.JPG

Here is mine. After helping a friend do a couple mods to a bicycle, I decided to build myself one. Before this, I collected and rebuilt schwinn stingrays I plucked from the trash. I had alot of parts around so I decided to use a 27" schwinn fork, Schwinn approved Lester mags, tires (cause the fit the mags) and a tall sissybar from a Wards Hawthorn girls muscle bike. The seat was originally black metalflake, but got torn in a crash so I recovered it in leather from an old jacket. I knew the long fork would raise the BB to high and look stupid so I cut the down tube out of the Jr, Stingray frame, heated the toptube right behind the head tube and with a long bar, raked out the frame about an inch. Then I used a down tube from a 24" Schwinn so the curves looked correct, even though it was longer. I had my big brother, from big brother/big sister, do the welding for me. The bike didnt get painted till a year later when my friend did it, cause I wasnt gonna. I could see the finished project and that was good enough for me. LOL It was the first in a string of 15-20 bikes that I modded the frames.

Yup, after my relationship with the devils daughter I started drinking, and such. Left my home town and bought my Dyno, been clean ever since!

I buy and sell a few bikes, but there are a few that I seem to hang on for various reasons.

I have a '70 Schinn Lil Tiger that I build for my grandson. I have two younger kids who have yet to get married and start familes, so I figure that Tiger has a nice future ahead of it.

tiger_10.jpg

My '64 Firestone was my first vintage bike and got me hook on the hobby, so it tends to hang around. I also have a birthyear '66 Typhoon that I'll probably keep for a while.

My two road bikes have a lot of sentimental value. My carbon Roubix and I have put in thousands of miles. I get off work, get on the bike and hammer out all the crap from the day. I call it cyclotherapy.

troub2.jpg

Back in 2010 I built a Salsa Vaya to be a commuter and a touring bike. Since then that bike has taken me through Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Maryland, PA and I am sure I am forgetting some. I do a few long weekend tours each year.

vaya_pics9.jpg

I've kinda grown sentimental about one bike in my fleet, I scored it nearly a year ago. It was at a yard sale for $50 which was about all I think it was worth but it was like paying admission into the rest of the garage and I scored another older bike at the same time for $100 and sold it a few days later for $175 so the Diamondback was paid for and I had a bit of profit from the other bike. Now the Diamondback I can't really say why I bought it, it wasn't really cheap, wasn't my favorite color, wasn't really my style, it was just kinda there and I had the cash. But now that I put on new tires, new rack, new grips, new kickstand, new valve caps, and getting my new shifters installed when I get time it has become my favorite one in my fleet and gets ridden the most. I already have more into it than it will ever be worth but it's been a great daily rider and has never let me down, it fits me perfect, is comfortable to ride, fast, agile, light weight, and I guess I'm getting attached to the old girl.

The Diamondback when I got it
Morestuff005.jpg

The Diamondback now (I do have two water bottle cages on it since this pic.)

Newpics003.jpg

No, my bikes don't seem to care about anything. :p Ok, got that outta my system. :lol: I have also recently acquired a weird color Diamondback that fits and rides like a champ, and puts me back in the "real" bike world. I'm getting used to the color. :wink:

GEDC0029_zps0fa555de.jpg

I'm pretty attached to this junker, it's been my main ride, outdoor beater, parts in the barn, and my go-to backup for thirty-some years now.

sideviewsm2.jpg

bike3044.jpg

GEDC0003.jpg

GEDC0008-1-1.jpg

This one makes me feel a little like a kid again.

GEDC0016_zpsade08049.jpg

For me it's the Schwinn Hornet that belonged to my Uncle Joe. A lover of cigars and an all round great guy that passed away too soon.

This 1975 Stingray 5 Speed is very special to me.
My Uncle found it at a flea market and though of me,
My Dad bought it and gave it to me,
and my Grandfather put the paint job on it for Christmas on year.

This was also my first restoration project.

PA291216.jpg

Latest posts

Back