Any IDeas on This One?

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by 8ball, Jun 10, 2012.

1. 8ball

8ball

0   0   0

A friend got this in 2008. Free donation to a bike shop he worked at in Utah. Yesterday it arrived in Idaho. No head badge but three screw holes, top two wrap around the sides.

A real beauty. Seems old to me.

Very "high design" on the fork stays - I especially like that feature. A TWO piece crank. Star-pattern chain wheel.

New Departure rear hub, front is ?

Tires: Cheng Shin

[​IMG]
    A bigger photo here: http://www.bkremer.com/8ballbikes/bikebig.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help much appreciated. Thanks, 8
  2. rms37

rms37

0   0   0

That is a very nice Iver Johnson Moto-Balloon approx 1934-1942. It is virtually all correct Iver except the chainguard which is a 60's add-on. You can dig here

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... light=iver

to compare the serial number (usually found on the seat tube just below the binder) to get a bit closer on the date. Extra points for the wire fender stays which were used by Iver for a period.
  3. 8ball

8ball

0   0   0

THANKS rms37!! We were joking that maybe it was a Iver Johnson! How funny. #549240

Excellent link - I see your posts there per dates. I appreciate the quick help.

[​IMG]
  4. roadmaster

roadmaster

0   0   0

Way cool bike! 8)
  5. B607

B607 Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Is the gap between the tires and fenders correct? It looks to me like a 28" frame with 26" wheels. Gary
  6. 8ball

8ball

0   0   0

The gap is pretty big. Did these have 28" wheels when built?
  7. rms37

rms37

0   0   0

The bike was built in the mid thirties during the time the industry was converting from 28” singletube wheels to 26” balloon wheels. Both sizes were available at the time and each company dealt with the change over in their own way. Some introduced shorter, wider forks and decreased radius fenders and used spacers to locate the rear fender in a “universal” frame. Others (Iver for one) widened things but did not immediately produce fenders in two different radii. The wide fork crown and wide fenders along with the spread of the rear seat stays shows this bike was meant to have 26” balloon tires. Iver later decreased the radius of the fenders and used a shorter front fork for balloon models but the early versions do show some air between the fenders and tires.
  8. 8ball

8ball

0   0   0

Thanks for all the help. I passed on the information and links to this thread to the bike's owner. He was elated that it was a Iver Johnson.
  9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer

0   0   0

I like it alot !! Good find IMHO.

Sorcerer