Another Sears Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Our local vintage bike club picked up a new member: he’s super into it and has a ton of energy and passion.

He had an old bike that had been in his family he wanted to hop up, but had never restored a vintage bike before.

I didn’t do a good job of before and after pics. The bike was covered with pretty severe surface rust, but no rot.

I told him to bring it over and we could fix it up together. Some of our other members helped him with his handlebars, custom wheels and fresh chain.

He and I are going to get the bike shined up as much as possible and work on his rubbing tires as he’s put some MEATS on a middleweight bike.

Here’s some pics: we’ve removed as much rust as possible and put on some boiled linseed oil.

AC78A0CB-5470-44D4-BF0E-306299C6DA41.jpeg
4A4E3B53-4AB9-4318-89B3-60C42138A6AB.jpeg

It looks great with the original paint. I'm pretty sure that bare spot on the top tube is from riding little kids on the bar like we used to.
I didn't know Columbia made bikes for Sears, but I learn new stuff all the time. The serial number will prove it's a 57 model. It should start with a "C". Here's 59 Columbia Fire Arrow for comparison:

1593814098517.png

Last edited:
In your pic, I see the number but can't make out the letter. I just remembered that Sears used JC Higgins until 1963, so that bike must be 63 or newer.

Last edited:
I love everything but the seat. I'd ride it all day
Agreed about the seat. I would change that out, but overall it looks great!

Do you mind if I use your side shot above in my cantilever comparison thread? I don’t have a Columbia Canti on there yet.

Agreed about the seat. I would change that out, but overall it looks great!

Do you mind if I use your side shot above in my cantilever comparison thread? I don’t have a Columbia Canti on there yet.
I agree on the seat too, BUTT (lol) it is super comfy, and he rides it frequently!

Feel free to use the pic!!

Last edited:
In your pic, I see the number but can't make out the letter. I just remembered that Sears used JC Higgins until 1963, so that bike must be 63 or newer.

If I remember correctly JC Higgins was the post-war CFO of Sears. He was an ‘outdoorsman’ so they put his name on everything from bikes to guns to balls and beyond. Pre-war Sears sold Elgin bikes, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back