Another Craigslist Score!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent some time Wednesday afternoon disassembling and cleaning the crank assembly. I was surprised how easily everything came apart. I cleaned up the bearing cups with some WD-40 and a Scotch Brite and then cleaned the crank, sprocket and all the various pieces. The bearings were really crusty, I doubt they were ever greased after it left the factory. I soaked them in SuperClean and they look brand new. The crank bearings are the originals, stamped Schwinn 64. Tomorrow morning I'll be stopping by the LBS to pick up my wheels I had them true up and also grab a new chain. I'm still waiting on the bars (I won a set on eBay a couple of days ago) and the right seat to come along. I'm not necessarily looking for a 100% 'correct' seat so if anyone has a good looking banana for sale let me know. I'd prefer black but would consider others.

This just arrived:

Bars_zpshxsmkbjw.jpg

Now I just need a seat.

Deorman is correct, it won't clean the chain stay.

Are you positive? If so, that sucks, the mag sprocket is so much cooler looking than the other one. :( That Mag Sprocket is for a Krate so I thought they would be the same dimension? I bought one a couple of nights ago but it isn't here yet so I wasn't sure of the diameter of the part. I just assumed (dumb thing to do) that all the Stingray sprockets were the same diameter. Is the 'Lucky 7' smaller because of the early Stingray frame?

Yes, that is exactly it, the frame dimensions aren't the same.

Last edited:
.......this is the 2nd '64 I've seen with the same headset as a '63.

What's the difference in the '63 style and the later ones? I'm certainly not an expert (not even a novice really) and I need to know if mine is missing something. Saturday afternoon I had to take the forks off to get the bottom piece of the gooseneck out and realized there is no top bearing cup. Is this correct? I put it all back together the way it was and it seems fine.

Update: I got the wheels and bars mounted and the crank assembly back together and installed. I'm still looking for a nice black banana seat so if anyone has one for sale please let me know. I'm considering just buying a new one off ebay but I've been waffling on which one to get. I hate not being able to hold something in my hands before I buy it.

Stingray%20Today_zpsqdwci7hh.jpg

What's the difference in the '63 style and the later ones? I'm certainly not an expert (not even a novice really) and I need to know if mine is missing something. Saturday afternoon I had to take the forks off to get the bottom piece of the gooseneck out and realized there is no top bearing cup. Is this correct? I put it all back together the way it was and it seems fine.

Yep that's right. That's the difference. Not top cup just a race goes in the head tube and the nut acts as a cup. I put that same setup on my '64 because I liked the looks of it. Yours is most likely original to the bike.

Deorman is correct, it won't clean the chain stay.

Won't clean the chain stay. Won't fit either..:21:

It would be tough to pedal with the short cranks too. Bike is looking good. Was that sissy bar stamped "Persons"?

I think it's just a replacement but the original sissy for that bike would be worth hanging on to even though it has been drilled in a weird spot.

Yep that's right. That's the difference. No top cup just a race goes in the head tube and the nut acts as a cup. I put that same setup on my '64 because I liked the looks of it. Yours is most likely original to the bike.

Right on, I'm glad I'm not missing anything. Thanks for the info.

Was that sissy bar stamped "Persons"? I think it's just a replacement but the original sissy for that bike would be worth hanging on to even though it has been drilled in a weird spot.

I didn't see any markings on it but it was pretty dirty and I really didn't look at it all that much. I'm going to keep it but I'm planning to use the later style with the clamps. I'm just under six feet tall so I'll probably need the extra couple of inches the clamp style provides (plus they look cooler). I finally went ahead and ordered a seat, it should be here later this week. I cant wait to take this one out for a ride.

My seat arrived this morning. I got it all back together and took it out for a test ride. It rides great but the coaster brake needs some adjustment and I have no idea how to do that. When stopping the brake doesn't engage immediately, it takes about 1/3 of a rotation of the crank for the brakes to grab. The same happens when you try and resume pedaling, 1/3 rotation before the bike starts forward. I'm sure it's a simple fix, I just don't know how. I'll swing by the bike shop in the morning that trued the wheels up, hopefully they can do it while I wait. Here's the latest photo, I'll wait to detail it until it's completely dialed in.

Let%20Me%20Ride_zps50b8lfqr.jpg

False alarm. I dropped by the LBS this morning and the guy told me that's just how this Bendix hub works. I've never ridden one like this before so I wasn't sure. This thing rides fantastic, you can totally see how/why Schwinn sold these things by the boatload. Now I just need to detail it and then hit the streets...............just in time for the 100+ temperatures in the forecast next week. :eek: :eek:

fresno-it-really-does-suck-here_design.png

It was hotter than heck on Sunday here in the Fresno area. I spent a couple of hours in front of the cooler doing some cleaning/polishing/waxing and am about 90% finished. Tomorrow afternoon I need to re-do the lettering on the Slik and then it's all done. Stay tuned to this channel for further updates. ;)

I finally got my new computer up and running and was able to get a couple of good photos this morning. Here's the finished product:

Stingray%20The%20Grand%20Finale%201_zpslog0ue1q.jpg

Stingray%20The%20Grand%20Finale%202_zpsnxj8wk1s.jpg

I really love this bike, it looks great and rides fantastic. I'm thrilled with the way it turned out. The weather here has been lousy for the last week or so, nearly 90 degrees up until the time it gets dark so I haven't been able to ride it much. I can't wait until it cools down a bit and I can take this out for a nice long cruise.

Latest posts

Back