Another Craigslist Score!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As much as I like my Fastback, I've always been bummed that I can't stick a big, flat Slick on the back. Recently I decided it was time to put a Sting-Ray together. I placed a want ad here for a frame and had a couple of offers but I decided it would be quicker, easier and more economical to just buy a complete (or near) bike. Yesterday afternoon a new Sting-Ray listing popped up on the local Craigslist, I went and checked it out and came home with this...................

64%20SR%201_zpsnsbb8wdq.jpg

A very early Flamboyant Lime Sting-Ray, according to the serial number it was manufactured on March 24th 1964. Yeah, it needs some work and a few parts are missing but how often does a '64 Sting-Ray pop up for sale? Cleanup and parts parts swapping starts shortly.

64%20SR%202_zpsh7i6kgkw.jpg

64%20SR%203_zps3iavyyng.jpg

Check out this cool Troxel reflector, any idea if this is worth anything?

64%20SR%204_zpsbqyauoyc.jpg

The bike was purchased from the original owners Son, his Mother says as best as she can remember it was bought new from Suderman's Bike Shop in Reedley, Ca. so this bike has been in this area it's whole life since leaving Chicago. I plan on just cleaning it up, replacing the non Sting-Ray parts and most importantly riding the heck out of it.

SCORE! Looks like an early Lime 'Ray, shorty frame. Great find! Post the serial number when you have a chance!

Wow another early one! C is March I think? Looks like it has the original 36h rear rim on it and this is the 2nd '64 I've seen with the same headset as a '63. Nice find.

Wow another early one! C is March I think?

Yep, March 24th according to the serial number.

Looks like it has the original 36h rear rim on it.......

Yes, 36 spoke. What does the 'h' in you post signify?

Nice find.

Thanks. For 99.9 percent of my life I've had horrible luck but in the last three months I've found some really cool (bicycle and non-related) stuff.

Yep, March 24th according to the serial number.

Thanks. For 99.9 percent of my life I've had horrible luck but in the last three months I've found some really cool (bicycle and non-related) stuff.
With luck like that it's time to hit it big on the lottery.

It just means holes for spokes in the hoop. Should be stamped towards the side of the rims too. Those are high dollar parts and good to have. Looks like all you'd need to make it original are handle bars, sissy bar and seat. Bike would not have had fenders but they look fine on there.

It just means holes for spokes in the hoop.

Right on

Should be stamped towards the side of the rims too.

They are. ;)

Bike would not have had fenders but they look fine on there.

Yeah, those are coming off. Any idea what they're worth? Maybe someone here will be interested in them.

Ordered my new grips and a Slik yesterday afternoon. I know it should have a knobby to be 'correct' but they don't look nearly as cool. :cool:

Those fenders look like replacement fenders, Wald probably. The braces on the early Sting-Rays were chrome plated, and the holes for mounting on the frame and axle aren't elongated like that.

That 36 hole wheel is a tough one to find, glad that is still on it. The front wheel should be a Schwinn script hub, and have a rim with the Schwinn S-7 stamp done in the middle of the rim.

Congrats again, nice find there!

Those fenders look like replacement fenders, Wald probably. The braces on the early Sting-Rays were chrome plated, and the holes for mounting on the frame and axle aren't elongated like that.

Yup, fenders were added. That bike originally came with no fenders, since it's not a Deluxe or Super Deluxe.

Technically the pedals are not correct also, but they're fine if you plan to ride the bike. To be more accurate, you could just find some Schwinn pedals without reflectors. Should be easy enough.

Nice find!

it was bought new from Suderman's Bike Shop in Reedley, Ca. so this bike has been in this area it's whole life since leaving Chicago.
Great find! I don't get on CL every day, so looks what happens when I don't!
It will be a great project putting this one back together to original. It usually pays to be a stickler for genuine, period correct parts, especially if you plan on moving this along. However, if you plan on keeping it, have a complete and correct example is very cool.

To answer your Troxel seat reflector question, I bought a NOS one for a bike for $20. I decided not to use it, but had to sell it for $10 because no one wanted it. So having an old one won't gain you much.

I'll most likely put a newer banana seat on it so I can ride it for now. When I run across the correct seat I may or may not change it out, I hear they are really uncomfortable. 100% correct isn't something I'm concerned with, I'm a Hot Rodder................factory parts are just a polite suggestion. :D It will most likely end up about a 90%'er as far as originality goes. Like I stated in a previous post, I'm putting a Slick on it (it's on it's way) instead of the knobby.................I'm sure the purists are readying the pitchforks. I'm not selling, this one mine, all mine. :banana: :banana:

Worked on the bike for a couple of hours Saturday afternoon and made a little progress. Got those nasty fenders off, polished the rear wheel and put the new Slik on. It will have to come back off to replace a couple of bent spokes, true up the wheel and repack the bearings but I couldn't resist seeing what it's going to look like. What do you guys use to get that white, sticky stuff off your new tires? Soap and water doesn't cut it.

Latest posts

Back