Another B.T.R.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe having pegs with no pedals changes your classification with the DMV, if you ever got pulled over they would expect you to have a M1 license... I mean this is all assuming you want to make it street legal, my vote is for pegs all the way. :)

I really like this rig , as beefy as your getting with your Frame wand wheels why not give it even more power.

Boscrowe said:
I really like this rig , as beefy as your getting with your Frame wand wheels why not give it even more power.

Thanks but I actually started with the motor and assembled parts/ built the frame to go along with it, mc wheels, tires, and brakes are not only beefier than their bicycle counterparts but are also cheaper if you keep an eye out for used stuff. The motor should be good for about 8 hp after I build it and paired with a cvt, the bike should easily cruise at 40 to 50 mph. That's fast enough for my first build. If and when I feel the need for more speed I will build an actual motorcycle with a gear box and much larger engine.

Hey man I'm pretty naive to motorcycle world . I've been trying to find various parts and pictures because I would really like to make my second bike with Dirt bike wheels but not havering much experience with dirt bikes or motorcycles I don't know what components work together . And your right on the money 40 -50 would be flying . Look forward to seeing your progress like I said before its looking good .

As far as motorcycle parts go, 21" m.c. rims and tires are a little bigger than bicycle 26" rims and tires. You can find 36 spoke rims that will match up to bicycle hubs but you may need to drill out the hubs to accept larger spokes that will fit the rims. I did an online spoke calculator and sent the dimensions to newson sportec in Taiwan. A couple weeks later my 9 ga spokes and nipples arrived and luckily fit. I used a moped hub for the rear but you could lace in a bicycle hub and even some motorcycle hubs. On another note, I finally got back to work on my bike, I reworked the bottom legs of the rear triangle and just need to finish welding. I also received my CVT for Christmas and started working on the motor and CVT mount. If I can get some metal this week I'll hopefully have it all mounted soon.

img1147l.jpg

img1150he.jpg

Hey man, that's a killer looking bike you've got going on.
Just want to give you a heads up and possibly save you a bunch of headache and money. Those OHV motors can only be tilted up to degrees or they won't be properly oiled and eventually burn up. The OHV's are used on the racing karts I used to race, but with 10-15 horses.
Just something to consider.

JohThomas Sorrels said:
Bikebandit.com, mine are Shinco dual sports. I just received an add from them in my email saying they are having a tire sale today.

Btw, what's going on with that new holy tank you posted?

I bought this sweet little tank off of an 80s Honda Xl80 from eBay, the paint has a nice patina, and there are no dents on it. But when I got it in the mail the inside was rusted out really bad. I filled it with vinegar and let it sit for a day or so to clean it out.

I was going to re seal it when I noticed a pin hole leak on the bottom of the tank,then I started to do some exploratory sanding and it snowballed into a lot of holes all over the place...

Long story short the paint was holding it together.
So now it needs some welding, hopefully it's fixable..... Fun stuff

2013-02-21_08-51-51_4_zps7871efcd.jpg

2013-02-18_16-21-49_250_zpsf6eff5fd.jpg

2013-02-04_20-13-54_758_zps448eb1e1.jpg

isaiah3g said:
Hey man, that's a killer looking bike you've got going on.
Just want to give you a heads up and possibly save you a bunch of headache and money. Those OHV motors can only be tilted up to degrees or they won't be properly oiled and eventually burn up. The OHV's are used on the racing karts I used to race, but with 10-15 horses.
Just something to consider.

Thanks for the heads up, a billet connecting rod with a better oil lifter/ spoon and over filling the oil has worked for quite a few people here and on other websites, namely cobrafreak, who has a couple thousand miles on his bike without problem. From what I've read you just make sure the head is tilted at least 3 degrees back and you're good to go.

Chris, good luck with that, that tank would look pretty cool on your bike.

John, if you need someone come over and watch you work so you get more work done, you let me know and I'll cruise by. :lol:

I picked up a new toy which motivated me to get started on the motor mounts.

img1293l.jpg

Cut a curve through 1/2" steel in a couple minutes, sure beats a sawzall like I was going to use.

img1291ne.jpg

A little more clean up and hole drilling and I can tack this on. This is the base which will be sandwiched between and bolted to the rest of the motor mount.

img1295il.jpg

img1297tf.jpg

Latest posts

Back