Another B.T.R.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still gathering parts but will be building a clone powered B.T.R. I don't have much to show yet but will update as I progress.

Got this beauty in last night...

dsc0006jmx.jpg

And of course, the powerplant...

dsc0007oz.jpg

UPS dropped off the tires I plan to use for this build today. I went with 21" M.C. rims which will hopefully be in later this week. The tires are Shinko SR244 Dual Sports, these things are beefy!

img0325t.jpg

A little detail of the sidewall...

img0318ht.jpg

4 ply, more than a 1/4" thick!

img0319ut.jpg

I measured the outside diameter real quickly, comes out to a little over 27.5". It actually might be a little bigger once they are mounted on the narrower rims I have on the way...

img0321mes.jpg

img0322pq.jpg

And just for fun, here's one next a 26" Felt Quick Brick...

img0323hc.jpg

img0324sp.jpg

The picture doesn't really do justice to how much bigger these are than the Q.B.'s

The rims showed up today, They're used but in good shape other than some paint chipping, double walled, with large spoke holes. I didn't take a picture with a tape but the outside diameter of the lip is right at 22". This rim size is 1.6" wide but since they're so thick the outside thickness is about 2.5"....

img0328kr.jpg

img0329u.jpg

I stuck one of the tires on a rim and measured the overall o.d. which now is a little over 28"!

img0330zm.jpg

I didn't measure the width of the tire on the rim because it's not inflated yet but as it sits it is closer to 2.75" wide...

img0331hm.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with these and can't wait to start building.

I ordered some 9 gauge spokes for the rear wheel from Newsonsportec in Taiwan. They arrived today and thankfully I did my calculations correct. Here they are packaged up, the hub was offset so it required some dishing...

img0581v.jpg

They make the 11 gauge spokes on another bike look pretty thin...

img0582ln.jpg

All laced up, I still need to true the wheel...

img0584sm.jpg

I'll hopefully be ordering tubing for the frame at the end of May and will have some real updates soon.

So I've been drawing up my frame and had some questions. Through looking at different pictures of old bikes, specifically Indians, I have noticed there seem to be some with shorter wheel bases. There are the street bikes with all of the bells and whistles that have quite a bit of room between the rear tire and the seat tube and there are the stripped down racers that look like there is only a couple inches. The Indian below is one the shorter looking bikes and has the looks I am going for on my build. Can anyone confirm if there are shorter B.T.R.'s or are these just visual illusions from different pictures. If there are shorter bikes, does anyone know the wheel base on them?

bzucb.jpg

Here is a Cyclone that I based my drawing off of, I changed the bottom tube and scaled it to fit 27" tires.

1914cyclone.jpg

I know that scaling it down will make the wheelbase shorter but it seems like it shouldn't have changed as much as it did. I also changed the head tube angle to give it more trail which pushed the front tire out more. What I'd like to know is even with the trail I have will the short wheel base make the bike squirrely at speed? I can probably add an inch or two in the rear triangle but that still only puts it at 52" where as I've read on here 55"-58" is best. I don't want to lose the look of the compact Indian above so without going to larger tires I don't see another way to make up the wheel base. On a side note, if anyone has more info on the Indian I'd greatly appreciate it if you shared because it looks like it has modern tires and rims which I think are the same size as I'll be running yet still looks proportionate to the frame.

img0585ab.jpg

I played with the drawing a little more and stretched both the front and back out till it was at 55", I also lowered the middle tube leaving an even 5" for the tank, I think this will be it, time to order tube...

btrfinal.png

Got the metal, before I start on the frame I wanted to get the fork squared away since it's the most complicated part. This way I can still tweak head tube angle and geometry if the fork ends up a little different than on paper.

img0659ki.jpg

img0661he.jpg

img0662pn.jpg

img0664c.jpg

img0667nx.jpg

Got the main tubes on the forks tacked on, I also made some axle tubes out of 3/4" tubing sleeved inside of 1", than drilled and tapped with set screws.

img0671ycz.jpg

img0677rc.jpg

img0678wp.jpg

img0679y.jpg

The wheel pictured is the hub I am using for the front, it is off of a Honda XL185, I feel more confident with a motorcycle brake in the front not to mention the whole wheel with tire was $45.00, I'll use this rim and tire for mock up than lace up the other black rim I have later on. Now that the mounting points on the fork are complete I started working on the main part of the frame too. Hopefully I'll have it all tacked this week...

img0682k.jpg

I got lucky and found an aluminum white board track that cradles my tires perfectly, made some uprights to hold the frame and put it on a table. No more working on the ground. I also got the upper shock mounts tacked but will probably redo them...

img0700co.jpg

img0706ck.jpg

img0709fo.jpg

Well, I made rear drop outs and set up the triangle but I don't like it so I am going to rotate the triangle a little to raise the overall height and shorten the wheel base, I'll also move the head tube to make sure everything stays level and geometry is correct. It turns out the shocks I have are going to be too soft for this set up so I'll probably get mountain bike coilovers like these which will hopefully stiffen it up.

img0710ll.jpg

img0715xp.jpg

img0716ij.jpg

Latest posts

Back