AMF Roadmaster Skyrider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my latest find... im not sure how to find out the year... how about some help...
i could not find out anything throught the serial number online... this bike is totally original
S7300043.jpg
S7300042.jpg
S7300041.jpg

I've been working on my roadmaster for a while now and still cant figure out what year it is. It does look alot like yours except yours is shinny. Nice bike. 8)

Dang man. Ive got one just like that, not nearly as good of shape! Serial # R021507 If you come across any info , let me know and I'll do the same. I have had this bike for about 1and half years and havent come across anything. It had 20" wheels but, I made 2 speed Bendix 24" S-7 wheels! Do you think yours is all original?
SANY0310.jpg

002.jpg

Yes I do think its original down to the tires,it still has one of the plastic caps on the rear axle that they put on for shipping in the box . thi bike is in really good condition. does any one have any Idea what it might be worth?

that is about the cleanest skyrider i've ever seen! from the looks of the chainring, which was the one used right after the "stars" chainring introd about 61-62', im gonna guess yours is somewhere between a 64 and a 68'. very nice. i have a 59' skyrider.
IMG_0765.jpg

i've since added oem fenders off a 61 roadmaster as well as its oem rack. had to go with 1.75 tires to clear the fenders.
always good to see another roadmaster out there.

I just took a quick peek at my 'Evolution of the Bicycle vol. 1', and it shows a 1962 AMF catalog page with your exact bike, same tank, chainring, and decals! There's also a 63 page which shows a different tank on the "Skyrider Deluxe". Apparently they were using that style chainring you have, the 'stars' chainring, and the 'snowflake' ring which was probably leftover Shelby parts. Nice ride! ~Adam

yeah, sometimes when a company hasn't ran out of a certain chainring, or has ran out, they use a slightly different one. from what i can tell, my style chainring (blade? or spiral) on my above roadmaster is similar to the skippies in the 40's and 50's, but im pretty sure amf went to the "stars" style in 61-62 and used that till what i like to call the "tri-spoke" version thruout the rest of the 60's at least. id like to know more myself. it was hard enough just to figure out it was a roadmaster.

I'm so glad I finally found this information!!!! I'm rebuilding an old bike I got when I was 12. I always thought it was a Schwinn until I got down to the guts of the bike. At first the only information that I got from the rebuild was a faint out line of the words AM. But a picture is better than words!!! My bike is the identical, only a ladies bike. Any how... is there a site for decals for the AMF Sky Rider? (I would post a pic but I'm having computer problems LOL)

S7300041.jpg

Man that is awesome! I had that exact model bike when I was a kid, I say about 1964 or 5 Before that I had a Huffy Galaxy that got stolen. The insurance gave my dad $34 for the claim. We went to Woolco's and they wanted $37 for a Galaxy and dad would not cover it. So I ended up with a RoadMaster. I rode the bejeebers out of that bike. I think I still got leg muscles from riding it.

I remember the light feel apart one day when I was riding down a driveway and jumping a little ditch.

After a few years it faded in the sun, as it was kept out doors. I learned about rubbing it out then waxing. I rubbed it it out and the paint came off leaving a dark red image where that paint was. I thought that was cool.

Later it got stolen too, just before I began high school and started riding around in cars with pals.

Thanks for posting that, It's beautiful.

Latest posts

Back