1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice

AMF Roadmaster Skyrider

Discussion in 'GALLERY' started by kustomratcreators, Mar 10, 2008.

1. kustomratcreators

kustomratcreators

This is my latest find... im not sure how to find out the year... how about some help...
    i could not find out anything throught the serial number online... this bike is totally original
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Ahab

Ahab

nice find. where did you find it.

3. kustomratcreators

kustomratcreators

prairie village kansas... some dude was getting rid of it.... so i grabbed it

4. JoeyMac

JoeyMac

i love the shape of the tank which is echoed in the rear rack, chainguard, and fender light. Really cool design, I love the Space-Age stuff :)

5. maddogrider

maddogrider

I've been working on my roadmaster for a while now and still cant figure out what year it is. It does look alot like yours except yours is shinny. Nice bike. 8)

6. 66olds98

66olds98

Dang man. Ive got one just like that, not nearly as good of shape! Serial # R021507 If you come across any info , let me know and I'll do the same. I have had this bike for about 1and half years and havent come across anything. It had 20" wheels but, I made 2 speed Bendix 24" S-7 wheels! Do you think yours is all original?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. kustomratcreators

kustomratcreators

Yes I do think its original down to the tires,it still has one of the plastic caps on the rear axle that they put on for shipping in the box . thi bike is in really good condition. does any one have any Idea what it might be worth?

8. maddogrider

maddogrider

one million dallars, will you take a check? :D

9. invizibletouch

invizibletouch

Gorgeous bike bro. :shock:

10. kustomratcreators

kustomratcreators

ill take 500,000 in cash please

11. Tempe-Terror

Tempe-Terror

cool bike, i've got a matching men's and women's set waiting for a make over

12. thesuicideride

thesuicideride

13. thesuicideride

thesuicideride

nevermind i just realized that yours says skyrider on the tank and this says saturn

14. roadmaster

roadmaster

that is about the cleanest skyrider i've ever seen! from the looks of the chainring, which was the one used right after the "stars" chainring introd about 61-62', im gonna guess yours is somewhere between a 64 and a 68'. very nice. i have a 59' skyrider.
    [​IMG]
    i've since added oem fenders off a 61 roadmaster as well as its oem rack. had to go with 1.75 tires to clear the fenders.
    always good to see another roadmaster out there.

15. Rustinkerer

Rustinkerer

I just took a quick peek at my 'Evolution of the Bicycle vol. 1', and it shows a 1962 AMF catalog page with your exact bike, same tank, chainring, and decals! There's also a 63 page which shows a different tank on the "Skyrider Deluxe". Apparently they were using that style chainring you have, the 'stars' chainring, and the 'snowflake' ring which was probably leftover Shelby parts. Nice ride! ~Adam

16. roadmaster

roadmaster

yeah, sometimes when a company hasn't ran out of a certain chainring, or has ran out, they use a slightly different one. from what i can tell, my style chainring (blade? or spiral) on my above roadmaster is similar to the skippies in the 40's and 50's, but im pretty sure amf went to the "stars" style in 61-62 and used that till what i like to call the "tri-spoke" version thruout the rest of the 60's at least. id like to know more myself. it was hard enough just to figure out it was a roadmaster.

17. purile

purile

I'm so glad I finally found this information!!!! I'm rebuilding an old bike I got when I was 12. I always thought it was a Schwinn until I got down to the guts of the bike. At first the only information that I got from the rebuild was a faint out line of the words AM. But a picture is better than words!!! My bike is the identical, only a ladies bike. Any how... is there a site for decals for the AMF Sky Rider? (I would post a pic but I'm having computer problems LOL)

18. gitarzan

gitarzan

[​IMG]

Man that is awesome! I had that exact model bike when I was a kid, I say about 1964 or 5 Before that I had a Huffy Galaxy that got stolen. The insurance gave my dad $34 for the claim. We went to Woolco's and they wanted $37 for a Galaxy and dad would not cover it. So I ended up with a RoadMaster. I rode the bejeebers out of that bike. I think I still got leg muscles from riding it.

I remember the light feel apart one day when I was riding down a driveway and jumping a little ditch.

After a few years it faded in the sun, as it was kept out doors. I learned about rubbing it out then waxing. I rubbed it it out and the paint came off leaving a dark red image where that paint was. I thought that was cool.

Later it got stolen too, just before I began high school and started riding around in cars with pals.

Thanks for posting that, It's beautiful.

19. Sr. KIWI

Sr. KIWI

great bike!!!!!! es un tesoro!!!!!!! thanks for sharing your bike!

20. roadmaster

roadmaster

yeah... they are great bikes.

[​IMG]