AMF Roadmaster Delray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got this from my uncle yesterday. He stopped by and dropped it off for me to clean and fix up for him. Honestly it didn't really take hardly anything because it was already so nice! Cleaned and polished the chrome, cleaned the paint and waxed. Looks amazing. Everything is original down to the tires, still has the original hub shiner in fact. Seat with a chrome crash rail, no tears or scuffs. Paint is nice but has some discoloration on the headtube from where batter acid from the light dripped down.. :( All the chrome is perfect. Jeweled pedals, Allstate Redline tires still with the nubs. Doesn't look like its ever been ridden.

Sprocket looks like Shelby? Can't find any information about it anywhere. I'm guessing that it was manufactured at the old Amf plant that used to be here in Little Rock, but I don't know for sure. Serial Number: J0794S

6935839450_a63b35b24e_c.jpg

6935841584_ddf3f1830b_z.jpg

6935843472_806c298138_z.jpg

7081919079_d4bdd8db81_z.jpg

6935846624_46cc4a7306_z.jpg

7081922307_11d3e6cce6_z.jpg

That is a sweet ride . I've never seen one like it , but judging from some of the components , it looks to be early AMF , probably mid/late 50's . That style rack was on 54 Lux Line , AMF acquired Shelby around the time they acquired Cleveland welding , so they used up parts . including sprockets , till they were gone .

Very nice!!
Yes Shadow man, that is sexy.
I think someone should throw a lampshade on it and have it as a "major award" in the living room window.

AMF bought Cleveland Welding in 1951 and remained at the Cleveland Plant. In 1953-54 Shelby was absorbed by AMF and all the remaining parts were shipped to the Cleveland Welding Plant. In 1956 the Cleveland Plant was closed and that is when AMF was moved to Little Rock. It was rumored that the move was to escape the Union. So in any given year after 1954 you will find AMF Models that look like the original CWCs and there will also be models that look like Shelbys due to the parts used. I had 2 1955 CWC boys bikes - one was a tanker with the CWC truss rods on the fork and rear carrier and the other had the Shelby Springer and Chain Ring that we are familiar with. Both bikes had the same frame, both were badged Hiawatha but both looked entirely different. It's nice to see a Shelby Chain Ring surviving into the 60s. That is a very nice example of a 60s Roadmaster - it still has the same rear carrier from 1955. That's definitely a keeper. Hope this helped straighten out the time line for you. Have Fun! Robert

PS - I have the same chain guard as yours on a 1950 CWC ratrod build - great looking guard!

And I thought Flightliners were ultra kool (& still do!) but this is the sharpest mid-weight I believe I've ever seen...great score for uncle...by the way,how well do you LIKE uncle..."Uh,gee,sorry uncle,bike thieves came in the night and..." :lol: ...P 8)

Latest posts

Back