Air Ride Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iven said:
So how's the trailer coming along or the bike?
Good question!
Nice build, well spotted Iven. Just shows how much stuff is on this website, never even seen this before...

Luke.

I've had a lot of problems with air leaks in the system, likely due to using quick connectors. The bike has been hanging on the wall for the last year or so, I need to redo the lines with compression fittings, but have been considering going to a 12v linear actuator which would be much more reliable. My fibreglass bike trailer just needs paint and finish the hitch, my tear drop camping trailer needs the doors and rear hatch done, my plan is to be camping by late June.

Thanks for your comments

Alan

I'm mainly waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before I can begin using epoxy again

TearDrop002.jpg

TearDrop028.jpg

Pretty cool looking, will it have aluminum panels like an airstreem?
Or completely wooden?

Just got back from our first weekend away with the teardrop, I have to say it's a big improvement over a tent! Thank you for all the positive responses to the trailer, I promise to get back to work on bikes real soon. I figure now that the wife is happy with the trailer, I should be able to build a few bikes without complaints :wink:

I wouldn't buy this air cylinder as it is double action (it can push and pull). I thought "no problem, I'll only use one air port" which does not work. This was the mistake I made when selecting my air cyl. You need a single action cylinder. I found if I blocked the unused port the air seemed to leak past the seal and build up on the 'unused' side of the cylinder, meaning it would extend but not fully collapse. If you didn't block the port it leaked. I believe this style would get air to one side to extend, then air to the other to retract, not what you want. I also ran into problems getting the rest of the system leak free and so put the project on hold at that point and got involved building the camping trailer and other projects. As previously mentioned in this thread, I'm planning to change to a 12 volt linear actuator and run a small battery which should be more reliable than the air system which looks great in a video clip on You Tube but may be too troublesome for daily (weekly?) use.

Make sure to post lots of pics of your project...

OCD said:
I wouldn't buy this air cylinder as it is double action (it can push and pull). I thought "no problem, I'll only use one air port" which does not work. This was the mistake I made when selecting my air cyl. You need a single action cylinder. I found if I blocked the unused port the air seemed to leak past the seal and build up on the 'unused' side of the cylinder, meaning it would extend but not fully collapse. If you didn't block the port it leaked. I believe this style would get air to one side to extend, then air to the other to retract, not what you want. I also ran into problems getting the rest of the system leak free and so put the project on hold at that point and got involved building the camping trailer and other projects. As previously mentioned in this thread, I'm planning to change to a 12 volt linear actuator and run a small battery which should be more reliable than the air system which looks great in a video clip on You Tube but may be too troublesome for daily (weekly?) use.

Make sure to post lots of pics of your project...
Do you have a recommendation for a cylinder? Like a good place to order one from or what brand to get?

As I haven't gotten my system to work yet, I guess I have no recommendations for you. I did notice in the ebay link you sent that they wanted $25 shipping for a $23 cylinder but that may be coz I live in Canada. You could try a pm to someone that has successfully finished such a build. There is at least 2 members ( I think Sensor and SicNick) who have completed air ride bike/trike systems, they may be of more assistance. If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Thanks Deorman, I've never really been away, just lurking while working on other projects. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back