Air Ride Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys - It's nice to show off your work after so many hours invested. I've learned a lot from seeing other people's projects which is one of the reasons we all like to see pics so much. This is only my second seat, so my carving skills are not what they could be but I'm quite happy with the results. The idea of a latch for the suspension is a good one but I haven't figured that one out yet either. As the frame lays on the ground I'd hate to get stuck out on the road, even a few blocks from home would be a pain. The end result of using an electric linear actuator would give the effect, but the pshhhhhh, pshhhhhh of the air does add a certain 'cool factor'. The adjustable reg that I bought for the air tank means extra fittings and connections in the system which are where the leaks come from. :roll:

Yes, threaded with push-to-lock connectors. I have tried teflon tape and thread sealer, may try changing to compression fittings and solid lines. Also had the reg adjusted up too high the first time and the psi over-rode the switch. I wanted to have quick release fittings so I could easily remove the tank for filling as I didn't want to take the whole bike into the store to have the tank filled. I have a strut in place for now and will likely give it a couple more tries before I seriously look at the 12v actuator idea. :roll:

Haven't given up completely on the build, just been working on other things and will eventually come back to it. The bike currently has a solid strut in place of the air cylinder and I occasionally take it out for a ride. I've been thinking that for practical purposes a 12volt linear actuator may be better than air in terms of reliability. I've also been musing that the rear suspension linkage may be of more use on a different project and to just make this one rigid out back, we'll see :roll:

I'm bagging my pw80 when I get past the mock up stage on my chopper dirtbike build. I was just going to use one of those small co2 cans for my air. Similar to paintball stuff. With some manual or ball valves. Seat air bag from a semi truck. I'd switch up to compression fittings. I'm not a fan of the push to locks. They all eventually wear out.

The actuator would be cool too.

NumbaFo said:
I'm bagging my pw80 when I get past the mock up stage on my chopper dirtbike build. I was just going to use one of those small co2 cans for my air. Similar to paintball stuff. With some manual or ball valves. Seat air bag from a semi truck. I'd switch up to compression fittings. I'm not a fan of the push to locks. They all eventually wear out.

The actuator would be cool too.
a little off topic, but do you have any pics? post em if you do!

http://www.streetsource.com/im/viewuser.aspx?id=pmiller

the only pics i have right now are in the link above. i never made it past the mock up stage. ive till got to get everything together and make sure it'll work. still gotta figure out the bag mount. once i do i'll tear it back down and build the frame for it. life kinda got in the way of all of my projects. been busy makin babies! ha.

looks good, but back on topic!
what does an air ride kits go for? I used to have a lowrider bike with hydros way back in the day, but it was so heavy, and a huge pain to ride, but the air ride systems seem a lot lighter and more compact. I've seen kits on lowrider sites go for around $300, is that a good price?

Beware of this style of switch, it is only designed to allow the bike to hop. It is not a three way (fill/neutral/dump) switch, I know this coz I bought one after being told by NYBC that I would be able to control the ride height of my bike, which I couldn't. This switch allows either full pressure or dump but as soon as you release the toggle it will fill the air cyl again. If you want to dump the air and park the bike on the ground you will need a three position switch (or combo of switches). You may be happier with something like this http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/air-con-35a.htm. I found a single three way switch which does the job, but haven't solved the leaking due to high pressure issue yet. Hope that helps a bit :mrgreen:

Haven't been looking for the leaks yet, working on lots of other things but will come back to it, perhaps in the fall. Need to do some pre-winter repairs on my workshop so I can keep working through the winter season. Recently bought a compressor/airbrush setup and want to learn more about it before I paint the bike, planning to use candy and pearls, we'll see. Currently busy learning about epoxy/fibreglass construction while building a hotrod bicycle trailer (will post progress pics soon) and then perhaps a gauge pod for my rail buggy which I'd like to finish this year, not to mention the usual home repairs/yardwork/mountain biking, etc :wink:

just got done reading this. don't know how I missed this one. WOW, an air ride BURRITO. i think that is a first as I don't remember seeing any other and build from scratch. ya got some madd skills there. nicely done, me like it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Outlaw 8)

Thanks, I have yet to decide what to do about the air system. I'm inclined to change to a 12volt linear actuator as this bike is so cool to ride I'm feeling the air system even if working properly may make it more of a 'trailer queen'. If the suspension goes flat you have to carry it home which is no fun at all. I'm currently involved in building a 6' x 10' tear drop camping trailer for the wife and I as we're tired of sleeping in tents. I'm hoping to have it ready by June and then get back onto the air ride bike build.

Cheers and have a great New Year!

TearDrop008.jpg

043.jpg

Latest posts

Back