adding front brakes to a 50's / 60's Murry bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI guys

due to the laws in the UK I have to fit front brakes to my Murry / J.C. Higgins project and wondered if anyone had some advice on what would work. I'll be running 26x 2.15 tires on the bike and the rear has a coaster brake already.

any advice would be really good.

Thanks guys .

The local law requires retrofitting front brakes on a coaster brake bike? Interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Hey mate,
I'd look into Sturmey Archer front hubs. They come with and without dynos in 70mm and 90mm. They're made in England I believe and should be available at any bike shop.

Good luck and..
Cheers!
Dr. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dr T

I hadn't even thought of that as I'm still in the stripped down stage that's a good possibility . shouldn't look to bad either. I was considering a new Sturmey three speed coaster hub for the rear as well so shouldn't be outta place

Dr. Finkster:
I retrofitted a front caliper brake on my J.C. Higgins Spaceliner, which had only a coaster brake, because 1) when you really have to stop, you really need a front brake, and 2) in the unlikely event that you drop a chain, a coaster brake won't stop anything at all. Simply drill a hole in the fork crown and stick on a caliper brake, cable, and lever. Photo is attached.
Smooth riding, Andy

IMG_0086s.JPG

Maybe O.P. could provide amplifying information (or even a picture) on the Murray Higgins Sears bike/parts that are considered for use - such as springer fork(?).
upload_2017-9-1_11-40-3.png

Last edited:
So quick update. The tired came back from being trued and didn't need anything doing to them, so I really don't want to do a 're spoke job just yet.

But worse of all was when putting the wheels back on it turns out the front forks are 24" not 26" so I now need a set of forks that work. .. Back to the breaks after finding a set.

If the fork you find is a solid blade that the crown can't be drilled on, you may be able to attach a 1 1/2" wide by 1" deep u-shaped metal strap by the fender mount hole underneath. Won't work with a fender. Hard to see in these pics, but the bike is stripped and parted so I can't take another.
010.jpg

009b.jpg

Here's a couple more with the AndyA method.
3f08dc13-9654-4287-8905-8f0a3f3be71d_zps84baa0b2.jpg

PTDC0055-2_zpsb6328150.jpg

So, it looks like the fork has been drilled, for 6mm brake bolt.
I believe that there are some extra long reach BMX/cruiser caliper brakes # 1080 that may suit your needs; I believe they come in (6) colors - from Porkchop BMX, a sponsor of the RRB website.
unnamed_1.jpg

Your bike looks like my 1963 Murray Missile.

Last edited:
I recently hunted down and found one of these:

View attachment 61780

Does that bolt onto a fender mount screw. A 1" star nut could be used if theres no fender attaching system.

A vice, hammer, plate and grinder, these could be made for any fork. This one kinda locks into the fork legs which adds a lot of stability.

Where the heck did you find it. Very cool part.

Latest posts

Back