A Zep??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Picked this up today. Thanks to Deorman in the Bike ID section,

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/i-have-no-clue.92842/

I believe this is a late 30's Hawthorne, possibly a Zepplin. Haven't found any numbers on it yet. Old house paint is covering the whole thing.

I'm not sure how many speeds it is. The rear gear is definitely a different one.

I can't tell if this one is a "real" Zep or not. I can't tell if it had a tank previously. Everything else on it looks original, so I don't know why they'd take a tank off. Any other photos I've seen so far, that have that shifter, have had a tank.

I've seen a couple different style of head badges for this style of bike too. One is a Hawthorne oval, the other is an unknown with an oval bottom with a more ornate top. Not sure which is correct yet.

Id say its probably a tank model., the rest plus some is there., but it could just be loved well, too. Im after those fenders and guard [or any other parts..] if you'd be willing to discuss numbers with me via inbox. On these parts Id be VERY workable.,

Great find.

Everything about this bike screams coolness....frame, hub, front end and of course that shifter. Besides the obvious, I say add a drop stand, lay back seat post, turn over the bars, truss rods add a vintage speedo then get her on the road.

Except the rear hub, chain and shifter I would be hard pressed to remove any of the rust!

Sweet find. Zep was the model name for the most deluxe bike that Hawthorne offered. The chainring says this was originally a Rollfast, not a Hawthorne. Though, it does look to be a ladies chainring, so it could have been easily swapped and lying to me (just seems a bit coincidental if that's the case). Both use horizontal badge holes. One way to tell a true Zep is that they all had locking forks and this is a correct non-locking fork. Being repainted and having replacement fenders doesn't help to determine how equipped it was originally. I'd put this one at 1937; 1936 had a different seat collar, and triple steps show up very sparsely after 1937.

The rear hub is a standard ND model D shell with the two-speed conversion. They did offer them factory on their high-end models as a New Departure DD. This was the add-on kit which most examples are. Still valuable parts, though these are a little crispy.

Sweet find. Zep was the model name for the most deluxe bike that Hawthorne offered. The chainring says this was originally a Rollfast, not a Hawthorne. Though, it does look to be a ladies chainring, so it could have been easily swapped and lying to me (just seems a bit coincidental if that's the case). Both use horizontal badge holes. One way to tell a true Zep is that they all had locking forks and this is a correct non-locking fork. Being repainted and having replacement fenders doesn't help to determine how equipped it was originally. I'd put this one at 1937; 1936 had a different seat collar, and triple steps show up very sparsely after 1937.

The rear hub is a standard ND model D shell with the two-speed conversion. They did offer them factory on their high-end models as a New Departure DD. This was the add-on kit which most examples are. Still valuable parts, though these are a little crispy.

I gotta say that helped me with my own more than much of the information offered to help define., so I can only imagine the holy grail it was to the owner Above.[Chips Mahoy]

Very Good source of information, right on the nose. I had no idea about the locking fork :eek: I enjoy folks who give me something new for Brain Food. Thank you! -Zombie

[p.s. care to have a look at mine? Id be very eager to hear your opinions.]

Thanks J. That definitely does help!! Do you by chance have any photos of one you can share?

I'm thinking of having the rear hub & 2spd conversion laced with some black 3G 57mm hubs, strip the frame down to bare metal, replace the saddle, strip the fenders, BLO it and just cruise it. I have a sweet chain guard from something I think would look good on a bare metal frame.

Last edited:
I might suggest a little research - Is the 2 speed hub functional? What is the value to a restorer? you might be better off to sell the original wheel and or wheel and hub and run a nexus.

Thanks J. That definitely does help!! Do you by chance have any photos of one you can share?

I'm thinking of having the rear hub & 2spd conversion laced with some black 3G 57mm hubs, strip the frame down to bare metal, replace the saddle, strip the fenders, BLO it and just cruise it. I have a sweet chain guard from something I think would look good on a bare metal frame.

That sounds like a perfect plan for it. You may also want to consider swapping the hoops. Triple steps are known to be a little fragile, especially once they get rusty, since they're just single wall stamped steel. They can get dented up with a hard bump. If they're solid they're worth a few bucks since they're harder to come by every year and were only used for a handful of years. If you have some local collectors, you can probably trade up for a nice drop-center pair. Drop-centers would still suit the period and provide more worry-free beating. The bike here is a true '37 Zep model: http://vintagebikesforsale.tumblr.com/post/59220056906/1937-hawthorne-zep-for-sale

The 2-speed setup is worth some money if you were swapping it out. You can even just pull the guts and replace with the innards with that of a standard Model D hub to keep it functional without unlacing. The hub shell isn't important to somebody purchasing it since it's a standard D. The condition does hurt the value since it looks like at least the threaded cable end is quite rusty and would likely need the cable replaced. Good sets usually sell around 250$, but this should still bring half.

Latest posts

Back