BO15 a short "Sketchy" ride video.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt I'd be able to find teardrops like these built by a guy in California.
View attachment 119069
I've messaged him and got the thumbs up to copy his design.
So, imagine the back of this bike on the frame of Little Neutrino.

GC.
I don't think that is the guy you need to ask about borrowing a tear drop design feature on a bicycle...

unnamed.jpg

IMG_20150710_163843792.jpg

...but, I think you're okay, the patent expired long ago :grin:...

1939 rocket bike 7.jpg

Big Box Hardware store steel tubing is usually 0.065” wall, and up to 1/2” OD is relatively easy to bend. I’ve used conduit benders, but wouldn’t get the amount of arc you need. 3/4” is tough, 1” very tough. Thin wall from bike tube or aircraft spruce has always buckled on me.

I’ve seen a number for folks (Recycled Recumbents, Atomic Zombie, for example) use conduit, which bends easier, and is budget friendly, you just have to be careful of the galvanizing when welding.

I went Googling and I'm pretty sure mild steel will hold up in a teardrop shape. But I may price up a couple sticks of cromoly just to see. I actually haven't even checked if the steel yard is open... I'm thinking 3/4" should be plenty and match up to the existing frame well enough. I've also got to polish off all the walnut Minwax I rubbed into the frame, so it can all patina together.
Last thought, I wonder if I tack it together, can I get a weld shop to braze it to match the old frame? Hmm, I haven't done any brazing since High School... Class of '78

GC.

Well it's fast and sketchy, but here's my obligatory virtual mockup.
View attachment 119118
I'm also thinking I'll kick the frame angle back just a little bit more than I did here.

GC.

Love it. Perfect upgrade for this bike. You might out-Carl yourself with this build!

furyus

Still looking for advice on the type of steel tubing I should be looking for.
and...
I need to sort out a drive train, I don't know if I'll keep it skiptooth or not. Front tire will likely stay skinny, I do like that dragster look. But I have no idea what back wheel I'll be using. All other accoutrements are on the chopping block as well. The cymbal parts will probably end up on a guitar down the road. The ratty Delta headlight is out, as is the little airplane that sits on the crossbar. My pinstriper buddy has been noticing that he hasn't done any of my bikes so there's that...
The sheet of plywood is for some pieces for a beekeeper I know. I gotta get on that so the leftovers can be used for my bender. All in good time. I should hook up the 220v in my other garage and move my big ARC welder and the MIG I inherited over there, so I don't have to 110v wire feed this.

There's things I love on this one too and I can't afford one of those full custom frames like a couple of the Taildraggers have. So I'll continue to modify and upgrade bikes I have until it is a full custom frame. :nerd: or I sell a couple three or four... I miss seeing you both.

GC.

Those curves are pretty tight... at least with a tubing roller. A plywood buck / bender might be easier? You know I’ll be watching. Tubing, I’d go with mild steel the same diameter as your top tube. I’ve had good results with .049” wall filled with sand (or salt) while bending.

Those curves are pretty tight... at least with a tubing roller. A plywood buck / bender might be easier? You know I’ll be watching. Tubing, I’d go with mild steel the same diameter as your top tube. I’ve had good results with .049” wall filled with sand (or salt) while bending.
Yep I'm building a buck and I knew about the trick with sand, I use salt because it's cheap and easy to handle, just pour it out of the container. Good advice about the diameter matching the top tube. I just wanted a real builder to confirm everything I've been reading online. Thanks my friend.

GC.

That is gonna be pretty cool mixing your Neutron with the vibe from Art's Bombita rear end.

Progress but nothing to show.
Neutrino is still in one piece but I've got a good start on the bee keepers pieces. That will free up some space and provide some plywood for the bender.
IMG_20200511_124155049_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200511_124113507.jpg

GC.

Just watched a video of "must see" bikes.
Think I see the vision now.View attachment 120028
It's also got a look to it that reminds me of your last buildoff bike but without the fiberglass shroud. I've got a set of triple trees too, but the truss rod fork on that Hawthorne is just too cool not to use. So it's gonna be a "Dragster Bombita" with a skinny up front. The rear hub though is still up in the air. Something multi speed with brakes. It may be time to make the jump to a Nexus. I also can't get the dually idea out of my head, but I need to get a good look at one or two. I do like the suicide shifter mounting point on that blue bike you found...

GC.

Reactions: Fv2
I'm liking the mock up. Should be cool when you get the bender worked out.

It's my understanding that cromoly is very difficult to bend. Might want to check into that before buying any tubing. I think it's also expensive.

I'm liking the mock up. Should be cool when you get the bender worked out.

It's my understanding that cromoly is very difficult to bend. Might want to check into that before buying any tubing. I think it's also expensive.
Thank you. I'm pretty sure I'll just be using mild steel. I need to get off my couch and get working on it but I've been having so much fun working on a few different guitars...
IMG_20200518_223026.jpg
IMG_20200515_144013.jpg
IMG_20200513_154810_346.jpg

GC.

Cool guitars! I especially like that butcher block looking one!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It's recycled cedar from a deck, I bought this body, but I'd like to do some similar ones in the future. I'm passively looking for a used tabletop planer. It's the last piece of equipment I need to be able to create guitar bodies from scratch...

GC.

Latest posts

Back