BO15 A Missing Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these last year for the bo. Now my plans have changed so they'll go back on the shelf for next year. I was handed another frame saturday that will be the build. More on that in a few days.

Gary.Charlie.Rick (1) by rickpaulos, on Flickr

Piling on ideas:

Preferred tires:

if those don't fit, then these:

Keep the original hubs, respoke into the aluminum mtb rims for the newer tires.
The original rims are quite dented and super heavy, like the frame. The original tires from 1971 are shot and new tire selection in the stock size is quite limited.

A day's delay. I headed out to the garage today and discovered raccoons had left about 40 pounds of deposits this winter. I spent the day cleaning and boarding up the cat door. Grrrrr.

I am corrected. Not a Speedster. It's a 1971 Racer in the small 17" camelback frame for youngsters.
(Probably the same frame for both models of Schwinns anyhow).

fully dismantled the frame & wheels today. frame & fork tip the scales a just under 10 pounds. both rims are junk. both innertubes don't hold air. The patches fell off. finished rebuilding my outdoor work table.

Nope. My last two rrbbo bikes were green. This will be quite different.

Great pile of parts to play with there. Love the camel back frames.

Paint roto stripped off the frame sunday.

New seat ordered today! Better than what I could do myself on the one old one I have left. Just hope it's large enough, ie, not little kid size.

Attachments

• Blue.Schwinn.Banana.seat.jpg
    Blue.Schwinn.Banana.seat.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Paint roto stripped off the frame sunday.

New seat ordered today! Better than what I could do myself on the one old one I have left. Just hope it's large enough, ie, not little kid size.

Killer stripe color!

The rear hub is cleaned and regreased. It was in pretty good condition. Bendix 70 coaster brake.

The front hub was shot. A loose lock nut allowed the cone to turn inwards and crack the shell. Dug through my own bins and at the local coop and found a alloy Schwinn Approved made in France low flange that is close enough. Well those cones were shot but I found a pair in my parts bins. These old schwinns used skinny axles. 8mm by 1mm threads per inch. Not to be confused with the 5/16ths at 24 tpi or the 5/16ths at 26tpi. Most of the chinese hubs are 10mm axles now, same as rear hubs. I didn't want to grind out the fork ends to take the 10mm hubs. The fork has the keyhole design that takes a special retention washer. One nice thing about those special retention washers is they keep the fresh paint from getting chewed up by the axle nuts.

I did some clean up on the frame welding. Schwinn dropout to stay joints on the ef frames are usually pretty rough. These were typical. Frame primed. Its cold and humid here so I thought I'd get some paint on it asap. I'll need to sand out the runs and give it another coat. Should be much warmer in a few days so the paint should behave.

I weighed the frame and fork. Just 4.475 kg. A hair under 10 pounds. It seemed so much heavier with just the crank and headset. I once weighed a Schwinn Paramount Tandem frame set and a Schwinn Twin Tandem frameset and both of those were 17 pounds.

Last edited:
Those will look good with that nanner.

fresh coat of paint today. Nice weather for painting here. Not so humid, just a bit of wind to keep the gnats away.

The parts bike arrived. I assembled it for a test ride. Seat, bars, stem. The whole bike was cheaper than buying new parts.

Latest posts

Back