A Long Tale - Final Build Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dig the trivet, looks good against the black.
Thanks Falstaff. It didn't look right against the other sprocket. so, I just cut a circle from the top of a ....I believe it was Folgers coffee can..the plastic ones..and just glued it on there...quick and dirty.
:happy:

That chain ring add-on is cool! This has come together very nicely all the way around. Your painted white wall looks original...I like the cracking, adds character. :thumbsup:

Tarped off outside
all systems go for a next week final launch.....
longtailRearLight.jpg

Took the bottom bracket apart, for the final time, I HOPE...because what else are you going to do with an aluminum trivet? (.25 cents)
View attachment 28105

And a couple of other little touch ups...getting close now.
Rear deck fastened down instead of just placed on there.
View attachment 28106

The spray painted rear 'whitewall". Yes, the paint is stretched and cracking a bit...but, it's all in flavor of the build...sortof....
View attachment 28107

A wee bit of straightening on the truss rod setup, and some brass caps to spiff it up a bit
View attachment 28108

And...loose test of one of the side panniers...I don't know yet on this...I like it...it might be a tad too big. I'll have to stare at it for a couple of days....lol....

View attachment 28109

OK that's it for today...more later
Franco

Just fab up some metal J-clips from flat metal to fasten to the rack board....then you could "mount" the panier at the swivel link on the strap (the rectangular "loop" on the end of the strap).

(did I say that right?!) ;)

Just fab up some metal J-clips from flat metal to fasten to the rack board....then you could "mount" the panier at the swivel link on the strap (the rectangular "loop" on the end of the strap).

(did I say that right?!) ;)

Indeed you did say it right....and that was a thought...great minds, you know. ;)
this bag, and a found another one similar have the swivel mounted just right, remove shoulder strap...hang em on and call it a day.
The other bag I found is not as 'structured, so Ill have to frame it a bit with cardboard

Indeed you did say it right....and that was a thought...great minds, you know. ;)
this bag, and a found another one similar have the swivel mounted just right, remove shoulder strap...hang em on and call it a day.
The other bag I found is not as 'structured, so Ill have to frame it a bit with cardboard
I have used the vinyl wall covering some people use on their garage walls for reinforcement in bags. Pretty lightweight, water proof, holds it's shape, easily cut and formed, and bends to fit in a pocket - then springs out to fill the space.

Those Stanley clamps are very handy. I actually forget that I have a couple as well.
The details on the bike are shaping up nicely. Cool use of a trivet!!

Latest Update:
Took a bunch of pics today of the latest touches on the Long Tale
and guess what? My SD card was corrupted...:doh:.1st time that ever happened...I'll take some tomorrow.

Took a bit of time off from the bike, one can get a little burnt by working on the same bike every day, but I actually did another cool little build, Pretzelogic....plus fixed up / cleaned 2 newer bikes to flip on CL.

Think I'll post Pretzelogic to a separate build thread, came out nice and I made a cool layback seat post out of an old 1 pc. crank. neat little tutorial on that...(not that it hasn't been done), but I got pics step by step....;) watch for that one.

pretzelogic:
PLdone.png

My gal was away for the week , so I did a bunch of projects around the house. NOW..whuut ohh it's almost deadline time, better get on the long bike ,it's just about there.

More to come...love all the work you guys have been doing on the build off:thumbsup:
Franco

Pretty much done, wanted to finish out this build album
All that's left is to put on the front headlight, which I was working on today, but the mounting base (plastic) broke off...so I reattached with epoxy..so I'll throw that on tomorrow, take some final pics and load them to the finished builds thread next day or two.

Since I last posted...I made a little chain tensioner. Clamp is a brass electrical ground clamp of some sort..added straight piece of stock...and I used a brass cabinet knob as a roller...its spaced so that it rolls free.
LThanger2.png

Added a front brake...it's the original off of the old Huffy mtn. bike that I first started this build with.
LT_Brake.png

Needed some grips. How about an old white braided leather belt from Thrift for a quarter? ;) A little spray adhesive and they're good to go.
LTBarTapeBelt.png

Last edited:
And, that's about it my fellow builders.
Here's where she sits as of today. I was riding it around, and I'm happy to report it rolls nice and straight, no weird noises, and it seems to be balanced just right.
Still need a wide berth when making a U turn. :happy:
Next Pictures will be in the completed thread.
thanks for looking
Franco

LT-almostdone.png

That looks like a businessman's fancy commuter! Something that would be parked right in the front spot reserved for CEO at a downtown sky scraper. With a chauffeur standing next to it...

Latest posts

Back