A custom springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about the things we need to build really cool bikes ,the reality hits me like a hammer. There are very few choices in springer frontends. There are the Schwinn type, the behive,the Monark ,and a few variations on all of them ....but no real cool reasonably priced differant ones out there. Now this site has some of the most talented , gifted designers that I have seen. It seems like some or one of us could come up with a design for a really cool frontend for a bike. We have the time and the ability. It should be done like a buildoff. Instead of building another bike that, while really cool ,you dont need you could design something that could make you big bucks in the future. The rat forks. :wink:

That one was cool for sure but it was done by Harley Davidson way back. Come on guys lets get creative. :roll: :lol: Just think if you come up with a design you can have it built in China and sell them for millions on Ebay

Sorta like,Design a better Rat Trap and the world will beat a path to your door?

yeah, a totally custom springer idea that i could steal....er...erm... i mean "borrow"...

i really hate the bent springer i have right now....way too much "play" in them for my liking... i only put up with it because i like it low...

i think karfer came up with a cool "suspension" fork recently (bbo3) that was an original design. but i agree not enough affordable options out there .... hmmmm

Come on.... A crescent shaped hand forged leaf spring springer is not original? Id like you to show me another one!!!

2816241224_a83d04f98d.jpg

2815387745_84fff79e51.jpg

You have my permission to have them made off shore and make a killing on ebay.... But it would be nice if i got design credit :D

MonsterMetal said:
Come on.... A crescent shaped hand forged leaf spring springer is not original? Id like you to show me another one!!!

2816241224_a83d04f98d.jpg

2815387745_84fff79e51.jpg

You have my permission to have them made off shore and make a killing on ebay.... But it would be nice if i got design credit :D

haha thats just it dude.... we, well at least i, can't show you another one! there aren't enuf of these out there for the rest of us to pick and copy....erm ....choose :p

MonsterMetal said:
Come on.... A crescent shaped hand forged leaf spring springer is not original? ... :D

i cant believe i forgot MADHAMMERs fork for a second, honestly, the whole bike still blows my mind so i cant really focus on 1 thing :lol:

I totally like the idea of a suspension fork build off, Uncle! Easy to see I'm not the only one that immediately thought of the Madd Hammer for the most unique fork I've ever seen. Big reason why that bike was my winner for the RRBO3. tOO SWEET!

MonsterMetal said:

:D
Oh, don't get me wrong!.......Yours is a "masterpiece", absolutely beautiful!..............But, I can picture a Chinese manufacturer saying........"What the ----"?

Monster metal your frontend was fantastic. Thats what I mean ,if you can design that then I know you could come up with simple. I know that had alot added for a visual effect. Do another and think ...cheaply buildable ....simple. something anyone here could make and stick on their bike. The talent is here we just need to harness it. Imagine a web site that actually comes up with new design products. :lol:

here is an idea ...some of you that can design but dont have the stuff to build it with can come up with some ideas and maybe some of us with the fab stuff can try to build them.

Yeah... Design stuff is tough..... I just spent a week trying to come up with a one off original girder/springer for my rat rod motorcycle project... I built two diffrent front ends, neither of which I'm happy with. I ended up buying an off the shelf springer and cutting it up, modifying the legs and putting it back together.. Really a girder front end for a bicycle would be super cool and not that hard... Its been done but not rat rod style..... Here is a pic of my sex change worksman klunker with a Girder...

3105029162_f9203f948c.jpg

Yeah I tried one a while back also. It turned out less than acceptable. It was heavy and awkward so i put it in the corner for future referance. seemed like an easy build till you got into it . :cry:

Exactly.... The basic construction is simple... But trying to figure out pivot point bushings, load characteristics, spring rates... gets a lot more complicated in a hurry. As far as springer front ends for bikes go I know there are not many being manufactured today but there are tons of viable designs out there. Back in the day everyone had a springer idea and a lot of them are pretty freakin cool..

The bottom pivot ones like i showed in tiki hari's post are really simple and looks like a way to go . I have several and I think this will be the first route I try. simple valve springs and some decient tubing should be easy enough. Maybe can go a little differant to make them look better.

freshfinds006.jpg

MonsterMetal said:
Yeah... Design stuff is tough..... I just spent a week trying to come up with a one off original girder/springer for my rat rod motorcycle project... I built two diffrent front ends, neither of which I'm happy with. I ended up buying an off the shelf springer and cutting it up, modifying the legs and putting it back together.. Really a girder front end for a bicycle would be super cool and not that hard... Its been done but not rat rod style..... Here is a pic of my sex change worksman klunker with a Girder...

3105029162_f9203f948c.jpg
Sorry to hear all that work you put into your xs front end was for naught man...
So for the rest of you out there, I've seen some of MonsterMetal's work first hand. And it is mind-blowing(in my humble opinion...). MaddHammer looks sweet in pictures, but will freak you out in person. I promise. Just my 2 cents... As far as simple springers go, I personally think a monark-esque one is about the simplest clean-looking out there, and could be easily buildable by a ratter. Rattraps are a little more difficult to engineer, I think, but I've never really tried either... I'm just thinking of being able to find springs that would work easily...

Latest posts

Back