Vans,a Division of VF Outdoor, Inc.

"999 Racer"

Discussion in 'RAT ROD BIKE BUILD OFF 3' started by bigredddaddy, Jun 19, 2008.

1. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

0   0   0

Anyone ever see this race car? Henry Ford built 2 back in 1902, they had a frame, motor, wheels, and a seat. The motor is the awsome part,inline 4, 1155.3 ci :!: (18.8 lt), 7.25 bore and a 7 in stroke :!: The pistons must have been the size of coffee cans :shock: Making 70 to 100 hp and a top speed of 91 mph, they must have been scaaaarrrrrry back then. I seen a pic of it in a Ford book I have, Henry himself driving, no helmet or goggles but he did have a suit and tie, big brass. Okay, enuff history lesson, I've just been looking stuff up on it and wanted to give a run down of what my build-off bike is going to pay props to. [​IMG] Cool huh? So I have 3 goals for this build, #1, Keep it clean, #2, Resemble the car as much as posible, #3 Finish on time :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: But heres the jolopy I'm starting with, even took a hit in the front :shock: [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Boardtrack fan

Boardtrack fan

0   0   0

Cool idea! I have seen a car like that at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn. I'm not sure if its an original or a replica. Wood frame rails and water pipe exhaust! Can't wait to see what you with this one.
  3. sensor

sensor

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

thanks for the history lesson and get on it!! i want to see this done :mrgreen:
  4. bombshelterbikes

bombshelterbikes

0   0   0

Shiatszu!!!! BOLD goals! How many spokes are on those wheels???? Replicate THAT and you've got a sweet ride. :mrgreen:
  5. brucebruce

brucebruce

0   0   0

I like where this is going :)

I actually have a his and hers set of those bikes?!?
    (inspire me)
  6. xddorox

xddorox

0   0   0

I've seen the picture of Henry Ford driving that thing, pretty scary stuff. Can't wait to see how you'll pull this off. I have no clue how you're going to do it, so I expect to be amazed and I'm sure I will be. :D
  7. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

0   0   0

Little progress today, swapped out the forks and chainring. Also got the tank cut, going on vacation so next Monday I'll get back at 'er :mrgreen: [​IMG]
  8. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

0   0   0

Back from vacation and got some work done today! Switched forks for one that fits, got handlebars on, a seat, and rims are tireless 'cuz I sold a Schwinn to a neighbor and my tires for this build had to go on. So much for my $20 budget :? I did slap on the biggest chainring in the parts box. 52 tooth, sort-of, every other tooth is gone. Does it count as a skip tooth? :D [​IMG][​IMG]The eye bolt is on the back of the race car, probably didn't have reverse :!: The rear rim is a Komet Super, looks weird and no nuts fit the axle, fun fun fun........
  9. sensor

sensor

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

id say that counts as a skip :lol: (but then again ive made a skipper out of non skip chain rings before...)
  10. ej599

ej599

0   0   0

52 tooth, sort-of, every other tooth is gone. Does it count as a skip tooth? :D [​IMG][​IMG]

For me, personally, I'd say inlaw! 8) HeheheOW! :x
  11. karfer67

karfer67

0   0   0

yep how do you think i did the rear cog on the lucky 7? just grind every other tooth off and there ya go.
  12. 37fleetwood

37fleetwood

0   0   0

very fun!! triple triangle frame, nice touch.[​IMG]
    since you picked the theme I have to insist that you add the knobs to the handle bar just like the car! like maybe some old file handles [​IMG]
    of course I can't guarantee Godzilla won't smash it like it was parked in downtown Tokyo circa 1965[​IMG]
    Scott 8)
    P.S. all kidding in good fun! but seriously... smash! :mrgreen:
  13. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

0   0   0

Nope, no file handles, got some thing else though funny guy :D The tank is done as are the straps, and different rims 'cus the rear is a bust. :? Final mock-up photos soon. BE afraid....
  14. OUTLAW

OUTLAW

0   0   0

i think Godzilla is now afraid of this one, so i'll just put a bad spell on ya and then Godzilla can take care of the small stuff.lol yep, this is a kool bike. just remember, Godzilla and Black Wicked is watching.

Outlaw 8)
  15. 37fleetwood

37fleetwood

0   0   0

I can't wait to see some new photos. the triple tringle geometry frame has great possibilities. I have some old MTB stuff if you need anything. you pay shipping and I'll go out and see if I have what you need. do you need a wheel?
    Scott 8)
  16. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

0   0   0

Check out the tank! Pretty clean bike, after paint of course. I'm not sure where the "muffler" is gonna go yet but it'll be cool :D On to paint!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  17. sensor

sensor

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

cool!
    and im stealing you tank idea if i ever need to make a battery canister :wink:
  18. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

0   0   0

Steal away! It's a 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe from Autozone, the straps are banding from work and are not fun to drill. I also notice that fence post caps fit on the ends. If ya build one post a pic :!:
  19. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

0   0   0

I forgot to say thanks for the offer dude! The issue is the rear rim doesn't have nuts, I just need to run to the hardware store for them. Fun with oddball parts :D
  20. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

0   0   0

Paint is my favorite part! To dark now for pics of the red, which is a different brand and it's STINKS :? Rims are ready to spray.
    Tank
    [​IMG]
    Frame
    [​IMG]