1. I wanted to give everybody a heads up on a change that I'm going to make for folks who want to use the For Sale section of the forum.

The forum has been running strong for almost 11 years now and I (along with our awesome moderators) have tried to keep things running smooth and trouble free during that time. I'm thankful for everyone who has helped make this a great community to participate in.

As you can imagine, there are some expenses that are involved in maintaining a site like this and I've tried my best to keep from passing that expense onto the user over the years. The forum will always be a free resource for people to communicate, learn and share.

In order to offset some of the expenses that the site creates, I'm going to be changing the Gold Membership upgrade on the forum. Starting on April 1, 2017 the current "Gold Member" upgrade will be renamed "Pro Member" and this $20 annual upgrade will be required for posting items in the For Sale section. All members and visitors will still be able to view the For Sale section for free, but a Pro Membership upgrade of $20/year will be required for listing items in that section for sale. Current Gold Members will be converted to Pro Members and will have access to listing items for sale until their current upgrade expires.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?account/upgrades

Thank you for your understanding and I will give further updates as the upgrade date approaches.

Steve

(click on the "X" in the top right corner of this notice to close it)
    Dismiss Notice

"999 Racer"

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 3 BIKES' started by bigredddaddy, Jun 19, 2008.

1. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

Anyone ever see this race car? Henry Ford built 2 back in 1902, they had a frame, motor, wheels, and a seat. The motor is the awsome part,inline 4, 1155.3 ci :!: (18.8 lt), 7.25 bore and a 7 in stroke :!: The pistons must have been the size of coffee cans :shock: Making 70 to 100 hp and a top speed of 91 mph, they must have been scaaaarrrrrry back then. I seen a pic of it in a Ford book I have, Henry himself driving, no helmet or goggles but he did have a suit and tie, big brass. Okay, enuff history lesson, I've just been looking stuff up on it and wanted to give a run down of what my build-off bike is going to pay props to. [​IMG] Cool huh? So I have 3 goals for this build, #1, Keep it clean, #2, Resemble the car as much as posible, #3 Finish on time :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: But heres the jolopy I'm starting with, even took a hit in the front :shock: [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Boardtrack fan

Boardtrack fan

Cool idea! I have seen a car like that at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn. I'm not sure if its an original or a replica. Wood frame rails and water pipe exhaust! Can't wait to see what you with this one.

3. sensor

sensor

thanks for the history lesson and get on it!! i want to see this done :mrgreen:

4. bombshelterbikes

bombshelterbikes

Shiatszu!!!! BOLD goals! How many spokes are on those wheels???? Replicate THAT and you've got a sweet ride. :mrgreen:

5. brucebruce

brucebruce

I like where this is going :)

I actually have a his and hers set of those bikes?!?
    (inspire me)

6. xddorox

xddorox

I've seen the picture of Henry Ford driving that thing, pretty scary stuff. Can't wait to see how you'll pull this off. I have no clue how you're going to do it, so I expect to be amazed and I'm sure I will be. :D

7. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

Little progress today, swapped out the forks and chainring. Also got the tank cut, going on vacation so next Monday I'll get back at 'er :mrgreen: [​IMG]

8. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

Back from vacation and got some work done today! Switched forks for one that fits, got handlebars on, a seat, and rims are tireless 'cuz I sold a Schwinn to a neighbor and my tires for this build had to go on. So much for my $20 budget :? I did slap on the biggest chainring in the parts box. 52 tooth, sort-of, every other tooth is gone. Does it count as a skip tooth? :D [​IMG][​IMG]The eye bolt is on the back of the race car, probably didn't have reverse :!: The rear rim is a Komet Super, looks weird and no nuts fit the axle, fun fun fun........

9. sensor

sensor

id say that counts as a skip :lol: (but then again ive made a skipper out of non skip chain rings before...)

10. ej599

ej599

52 tooth, sort-of, every other tooth is gone. Does it count as a skip tooth? :D [​IMG][​IMG]

For me, personally, I'd say inlaw! 8) HeheheOW! :x

11. karfer67

karfer67

yep how do you think i did the rear cog on the lucky 7? just grind every other tooth off and there ya go.

12. 37fleetwood

37fleetwood

very fun!! triple triangle frame, nice touch.[​IMG]
    since you picked the theme I have to insist that you add the knobs to the handle bar just like the car! like maybe some old file handles [​IMG]
    of course I can't guarantee Godzilla won't smash it like it was parked in downtown Tokyo circa 1965[​IMG]
    Scott 8)
    P.S. all kidding in good fun! but seriously... smash! :mrgreen:

13. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

Nope, no file handles, got some thing else though funny guy :D The tank is done as are the straps, and different rims 'cus the rear is a bust. :? Final mock-up photos soon. BE afraid....

14. OUTLAW

OUTLAW

i think Godzilla is now afraid of this one, so i'll just put a bad spell on ya and then Godzilla can take care of the small stuff.lol yep, this is a kool bike. just remember, Godzilla and Black Wicked is watching.

Outlaw 8)

15. 37fleetwood

37fleetwood

I can't wait to see some new photos. the triple tringle geometry frame has great possibilities. I have some old MTB stuff if you need anything. you pay shipping and I'll go out and see if I have what you need. do you need a wheel?
    Scott 8)

16. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

Check out the tank! Pretty clean bike, after paint of course. I'm not sure where the "muffler" is gonna go yet but it'll be cool :D On to paint!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. sensor

sensor

cool!
    and im stealing you tank idea if i ever need to make a battery canister :wink:

18. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

Steal away! It's a 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe from Autozone, the straps are banding from work and are not fun to drill. I also notice that fence post caps fit on the ends. If ya build one post a pic :!:

19. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

I forgot to say thanks for the offer dude! The issue is the rear rim doesn't have nuts, I just need to run to the hardware store for them. Fun with oddball parts :D

20. bigredddaddy

bigredddaddy

Paint is my favorite part! To dark now for pics of the red, which is a different brand and it's STINKS :? Rims are ready to spray.
    Tank
    [​IMG]
    Frame
    [​IMG]