99 Schwinn Pro Stock

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20170204_125806.jpg

No sun in Chicagoland. So this is the best pic I can get.

Rebuilt the front hub today, got the spokes to 4X or 3X the front.

BUT, I'm really considering radial lacing the front rim, would have to order spokes to do it.

Any opinions?

Here we go, test ride today, this bike is so right, top tube length, geometry. It flies. With the 180 crank, I'm going to pick up a 45t sprocket.

The tires are definitely not Era correct, but I couldn't resist, the color is perfect, 100 psi. Love 'em of hate 'em they're stayin.

Need to order brake mounts bosses, have new polished tektro v's.

Set the chain long due to the 2.2 tires, my chain tensioners aren't fitting, I'm in between holes. Maybe pick up, other tensioners or grind what I have, I can probably take another chain link out and slam the wheel forward.

20170212_140836.jpg

20170212_140912.jpg

20170212_140919.jpg

20170212_140927.jpg

Wow this is a sweet one! I think the cross pattern is better with the beefy tire. I like the radial with a skinnier tire and lower spoke count. It can get a little lowridery with a lot of spokes.

Brake bosses came in, right side was fine, left side is not feeling right. Ordered a new tap, M10 1.0, on hold a few days.
20170226_134709.jpg

I put a used Freewheel, out of the stash, on this wheel set, may order a fresh one. It's smooth but sounds different as it goes thru a full revolution.

I usually run ACS, wanna try the crossfire instead of maindrive, I see crossfire in 1.37x24tpi 16t, but they're all 3/32 chain. They're about double the price and I'd have to add yet another Freewheel removal tool to collection.

I don't mind changing to 3/32 chain, I was gonna change the sprocket from 44t to 45 or 46 anyway. 180mm cranks on this I'm topped out in a few revolutions.

Anyone running both of these for a comparison? Is Crossfire worth double the money over Maindrive?

Last edited:
I like it.
It's definitely not a rat like I build but man it's cool. BMX wasn't even a thing yet when I was a kid but I'd have run this bike all up and down the creek behind the school and bounced over all the garbage cans down the alleys...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back