ORBO Bomber 40 'Special - Done - Forks upgraded

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score

I bought a set of tires today for mountain warrior, but they were way too wide for that diamond frame. So I mocked them up on my '40 HP Snyder frame. With a shocked fork, and some Honda Motorsport Bars, it talked to me.

There tires seem like they were meant for this frame.

There was some deep pitting, and a hole I repaired in Nuthin' Special last summer.

Seemed strong snuff, but there's always that worry.

I know some natural bowls in one of the wash areas outside of town that will be a fun test. This bike is lighter on the nose than that firestone.

Building... riding...

A bit of inspiration from a couple of sites.
Charlie Kelly's has an number of old prewar and 50s and even a few diamond frames on it.
http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

ckrepack76.jpg

Building... riding...

Last edited:
That Snyder frame is cool! Go with it! The tires are sweet, CST brand?

Thanks Falstaff, I am glad you like it.
The mock up looks great!

Luke.
[emoji106] I like the way it looks like this as well Luke! Thanks

Now I have raised and moved the seat, tightened and alighed everything and ridden it, brings back new excitement for this frame.

Thanks KJV [emoji605]
That Snyder frame is cool! Go with it! The tires are sweet, CST brand?
Thanks OJ, after riding it, I have to build it. Yes, CST Rock Hawks. 26x2.4"

I still have the strength worry, but now I can ride it it feels solid as a rock. Fork tube is a little short. Had to use a deeper recessed and capped race, with smaller diameter top and bittom caps. Gave me 3/8" of thread to put the top nut on.

The way this bike rides, reminds me of when I Got My predator and I was way shorter than I am now. Seemed like such a cool solid bike to stand and ride. Bars comfortably within reach, and a coaster to stop when needed. Loving the ride. Will put a few miles on it when the Hardware store opens., see if I still like it... hehe

Building... riding...

Thanks Falstaff, I am glad you like it.

[emoji106] I like the way it looks like this as well Luke! Thanks

Now I have raised and moved the seat, tightened and alighed everything and ridden it, brings back new excitement for this frame.

Thanks KJV [emoji605]

Thanks OJ, after riding it, I have to build it. Yes, CST Rock Hawks. 26x2.4"

I still have the strength worry, but now I can ride it it feels solid as a rock. Fork tube is a little short. Had to use a deeper recessed and capped race, with smaller diameter top and bittom caps. Gave me 3/8" of thread to put the top nut on.

The way this bike rides, reminds me of when I Got My predator and I was way shorter than I am now. Seemed like such a cool solid bike to stand and ride. Bars comfortably within reach, and a coaster to stop when needed. Loving the ride. Will put a few miles on it when the Hardware store opens., see if I still like it... hehe

Building... riding...
How is the fork responding in your first tests MC? Is it spring or elastomer? Cuz you could always replace either with a stiffer spring or harder durometer insert, or add one to a spring. Brand of fork again , is ? And I don't remember how big you are....This bike has me wishing I was in this build off real bad....

How is the fork responding in your first tests MC? Is it spring or elastomer? Cuz you could always replace either with a stiffer spring or harder durometer insert, or add one to a spring. Brand of fork again , is ? And I don't remember how big you are....This bike has me wishing I was in this build off real bad....
You should find a frame and enter :)

It rides like a BMX. the spring (seems sprung) is very stiff. They feel close to a solid fork. Not much Give. I have to bounce them hard to get any give. Ground Assault D.X. Front Suspension Systems. I think these ones came off a Jeep or Next bike.

As I mentioned, it rides like a big BMX. I love it!! Those nobby's displace a lot of dirt. Those tire s stand about 1/2" taller than the 2.125 ballooners. Changed the gearing to be even more high geared.

Fun to Ride. Little hills, a couple of jumps. This bike is heavy, and feels solid. Not as heavy as the lightweight.

Now gotta figure out the details...
Comparison with classic and modern BMX

Front fork has slightly more rake than the predator, else, close on ratios/dimensions.

Building... riding...

Last edited:
While I was out riding, I looked straight down and noticed a problem.

These bars were bent about 15 feet up a telephone pole when I was 16. I think I need to straighten them like I always said I was going to..

Building... riding...

Cool bike. I like it a lot.

Carl.
Thanks Carl, i thought u might its similar to your first dead metal frame, except not as holy.
Great bike,simple and easy...
Funkme! Thanks, glad u like it.

Keeping on the simple theme

Disassembled and sanded. Cold day for paint... Will pick a time mid day tomorrow if work schedule allows..
6018800c27925eab675cffdc5f1c01ba.jpg

Building... riding...

I thought it looked really cool with the original patina...but that ^....that is REALLY cool! Looks like a reissue of an old '40s frame....so slick...

I thought it looked really cool with the original patina...but that ^....that is REALLY cool! Looks like a reissue of an old '40s frame....so slick...
Thanks OJ, it came out lighter than I wanted, but has since grown on me. Liking it a lot better now I've been able to handle it. Its dry, but still needs to cure.

That Red was a spray job I did on Nuthin Special last summer. I chipped from a couple incidents and when I pulled off the reflective tape on the top bar, it took it down to primer. The new paint is a lot harder.

Building... riding...

Latest posts

Back