80's Cruiser turning 50's Clone *FINISHED!!!* well sort of!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 80's Cruiser turning 50's Clone *Paint is DONE!!*

Ok guys Im updating this as I acomplish something new things... I had said on an earlier post I wasnt going to do the pin striping myself, well, I DID..lol.. and I think I did a pretty good job. I finished the paint this morning and I called to see if maybe my parts were ready, but it looks like they wont be till maybe Monday and I cant wait.. Ill be replacing the springer and installing the Phantom sprocket, till then this is the Trolley Dodger as it sits at the moment, thanks for the compliments :D this was my first time attempting a paint job with this much detail :)
50sClone1.jpg

50sClone2.jpg

50sClone3.jpg

50sClone4.jpg

Re: 80's Cruiser turning 50's Clone*More PICS Added*

Dr. Tankenstein said:
A great bike is becoming an EPIC bike!
This build reminds of the recent car trend of making new models that are reminiscent of past models only 'modernized'.

Keep up the artistry!

Cheers,
Dr. T
Thanks Dr. Tankenstein.. I really appreciate that compliment.. I just really want this bike to look like it belongs next to my DX and Straigh Bars :)

kensmurray said:
Great job, can't wait to see the finished product.
Kenny
Thanks, I cant either..once its done I could move on to my Straight bar..lol..

If I can do half the job you did...I'll be happy :D Nice build...

Man I have alot of catching up to do...lol..

ndaway, klunkerleaguenow27,ruddigger, NewOrleansFlyer, Frankthetank, Chimichanga and KickBackCycles thanks so much for the compliments fellas, I really appreciate them :)

Mr. Kool said:
I love it !!! Now teach a poor newbie please... What makes différence with a real one??
Well its a real Chicago Schwinn if thats what youre asking, but its an 1980 by then the era of big ballon tank bikes were long gone and this was meant to be a California Beach Cruiser.. as far as frame construction it is pretty much the same as they were from the late forties on.. I wanted this to be a special build.. My birth year is 1980 so thats why I hold it dear to me but I also decided I wanted a 50s style bike, so just by adding the period correct parts I figured I could acomplish that look :)

scott brownsey said:
looks great bro nice job u need a siren,lol,
lol..Im working on that, Thanks Scott :)

Mr. Kool said:
Thank you Boybluela,

so except the front sprocket (can't find the real name right now) that looks 60's everything looks fine to me.
Correct, The Sprocket is acutally of a 60s Typhoon Middle weight and so are the Handlebars, when I first built this bike I just went with parts I liked..and I love that sprocket and bars..

Now that Im going with a 50s Tanker look, I'm replacing that sprocket with a 50s Phantom version that is a the chrome palters at the moment getting refinished and I just picked up a set of Phantom bars from a member near San Francisco.. so I might be replacing the bars too :)

Re: 80's Cruiser turning 50's Clone *95% FINISHED* Chrome Done!!

A quick update. What Ive been waiting for... A phone call from the platers came today, My parts were ready :D I picked them up and got busy, and well here it is!

Love them AS Bolts..
Almost1.jpg

60's Typhoon Sprocket is goooone! :)
Almost2.jpg

Bye Bye Chinese Springer, Hello restored Chicago beauty :D
Almost3.jpg

Almost4.jpg

Almost5.jpg

I still have some work to do, Im most likely replacing the bars and stem for a set off a 50s Phantom ( and of course they need to be chromed plated also..lol..)
I also need to pait and add the Phantom headlight to the front fender, and Im replacing the Headbadge to an 50s Big Oval version :d Im on the home stretch now, thanks for looking :)

I really like the Typhoon bars I have on it now, but Im really debating and will most likely be restoring this set to go on there..what do you guys think? Ill appreciate the feedback..
WP_002649.jpg

Man that is one sweet ride. :D

Kingzebba1 and Elwood thanks for the compliments fellas, I'm really proud of this one and I do appreciate it :D

ruddigger said:
That's insane. Are you bringing it on Saturday?
Yes sir, this will be my transportation of choice for our ride this Saturday :D

Latest posts

Back