8-Ply

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Winter Build Off bike that I entered but never completed had an old 8-ply truck wheel in the rear. I just wasn't feeling that bike, but I still liked the idea of the rear wheel, so I chopped off the rear triangle, and I'll use that to build a new scratch built bike. Here's a quick recap of how I adapted the rear wheel for a bike:
IMG_3015_zpsc6cdd101.jpg

IMG_3013_zps6cb5dc65.jpg

IMG_3016_zps799c11aa.jpg

IMG_3018_zps8aa0babd.jpg

Starting again using only the rear stays, here is a shot of some of the parts:
IMG_3272_zpsipljiyez.jpg

MO FATTA
MO BETTA
MO SCIENCE!!!!​

Crazy, that will need one BIG brake to stop the rear wheel :'D

Cool! Why not keep it shorter to give it more of a muscle bike-ish look? There is something strange with the big rear wheel and ste steep HT angle...

Following that for sure!

I guess there was a reason for your job ending in Alaska, you were needed here!!!!

Cool! Why not keep it shorter to give it more of a muscle bike-ish look? There is something strange with the big rear wheel and ste steep HT angle...

A fair question. The length is purely driven by the measurement I want between the BB and the seat. Since I want the seat in front of the rear wheel (it looked too high when placed above it), I had to move the front forward to get the right amount of stretch. And the steep HT angle is 100% a comfort thing. I know head tubes with a lot of rake look cool, but they do not perform well. The longer I do this, the more it is about comfort over style. I say that even as I may be pushing the comfort level back with the bars I have in mind for this, but still, my point is valid. :)

Yeah I like that frame.
Triple trees right?
Will be cool.

Carl.

Triple trees right?
Carl.

Yes, I'm using the triple trees from an OCC Schwinn. Normally, I don't like seeing those OCC parts. It's a reminder of cheapness to me. But hey, they're the perfect size for something I've got up my sleeve, so I'm using them.

The rear of the bike is so heavy, I knew I needed to gusset for the side to side movement. On the first version of this, I just put some short rods in there. That was ugly, so I tried to think of a better looking way to achieve what I needed. Enter: cantilevers. Welded to the seat stays, they will strengthen the frame for the weight, and look good doing it!
IMG_3281_zpsihexbvgf.jpg

I also realized that this was the perfect opportunity to finally use this odd 65mm front wheel that I had (I stupidly sold the rear to a friend who promised to later buy the front, but never did).

Latest posts

Back