77 Schwinn Heavy Duty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my rear hub was giving me problems. :x I had lost a nut to the axle. It is a Whitworth style thread ,so it's not easy to find. Luckily I posted about it in the "How To" part of this site and a good friend is mailing me one from North Dakota. For a second there I thought I would have to relace a new hub on my bicycle. I felt that this 5 speed hub was really making this bike what it is. I'm glad It will make the build now. I want to thank RRB for having such a great site. :D It has to be one of my favorite sites for everything bicycles. :D
Blue 8)

So I finished it up and took her out for a ride. The 5 speed works great and people trip out on the locking steering column. My favorite part on this Bicycle are the bars that I made from scratch.
today004.jpg

today006.jpg

Blue 8)

shift location is realy cool. i am working on a shwinn corvett frame with the same springer. can i bend the fork tubes tward the front. i have seen it done but i dont know how it is done.

streetpro1 said:
shift location is realy cool. i am working on a shwinn corvett frame with the same springer. can i bend the fork tubes tward the front. i have seen it done but i dont know how it is done.

I bend metal two ways. I have a tube roller or I use my torch to heat the metal up and bend it that way. If you don't have any of these tools then I would go to your hardware store and pick up a Map Gas system. About 60$. Then there is the cave man way and with the tubing you want to bend it mite not be to hard. You get a chunk of wood, cut the radius you want in the wood and then bend the metal around the radius by hand. Not so fun and hard on your back, but can be done.
I hope this helps you out
Blue 8)
https://www.facebook.com/BluesBicycles?ref=hl

That one turned out killer. Good job. Changing the lines sometimes is hard to make them look right.
You got it. :mrgreen:

OUTLAW said:
hey Blue, I don't need to prove myself to you or anyone else. I build bike's that I like and I don't think I am special and have great talants. when I enter a buildoff it will be the sites RRBO, not yours. you have a great day.

Outlaw

Hmmmm, did someone not have their morning coffee?

Just a tad bit on the harsh side there with this comment, I don't think ANYONE was questioning your talents, sounded like a good old-fashioned "Put up or shut up" challenge.
Just remember, no matter how big and bad you think you are, there is ALWAYS someone bigger and badder.

And NO not everyone has the talents required to do some of the work that is shown on this site (regardless of whether you have the tools or not). It is just like painting a picture, anyone can pick up a brush and put paint on a canvas (look at what warhol did) but it takes talent to make it come alive and become something that people want to look at.

Its an old post. Actually that was 8 months ago. Or so.
Yeah I thought I was good till I saw a bike Kenny G built. Made me want to cut all of mine up. :oops:

redrkt said:
OUTLAW said:
hey Blue, I don't need to prove myself to you or anyone else. I build bike's that I like and I don't think I am special and have great talants. when I enter a buildoff it will be the sites RRBO, not yours. you have a great day.

Outlaw

Hmmmm, did someone not have their morning coffee?

Just a tad bit on the harsh side there with this comment, I don't think ANYONE was questioning your talents, sounded like a good old-fashioned "Put up or shut up" challenge.
Just remember, no matter how big and bad you think you are, there is ALWAYS someone bigger and badder.

And NO not everyone has the talents required to do some of the work that is shown on this site (regardless of whether you have the tools or not). It is just like painting a picture, anyone can pick up a brush and put paint on a canvas (look at what warhol did) but it takes talent to make it come alive and become something that people want to look at.

Uncle Stretch said:
Its an old post. Actually that was 8 months ago. Or so.
Yeah I thought I was good till I saw a bike Kenny G built. Made me want to cut all of mine up. :oops:

I know I build a good bicycle. Am I the best, HECK NO!! I know that I will always have room to grow, and Bicycles allow me to grow all the time.
I encourage new builders, all builders. The more builders there are, the more ideas there are, the more Bicycle there are.
I'm not saying that Outlaw is a new builder, at all.
A good builder motivates me to do better, so does a good competition :lol: . When I see a bicycle that is the coolest thing ever, that pushes me to do even better on my next build.
This years RRBO winner,WOW! Just amazing.
I will be staring at that Bicycle for months. That Bicycle will get me threw this winter coming up.
Karfe67's builds make me want to quit sometimes. Kuttnhack's imagination makes me tilt my head to the left and say hmmmmmm.

I have to agree with you Redrkt. Not everyone has it. I do feel everyone on this site and everywhere else can make a bicycle and I encourage that 100%
Who am I to say that this bicycle is ugly or pretty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
But I can say, that weld isn't that great or that birds mouth is way off, your frame isn't strait.
"A bicycle is a bicycle is a bicycle". That's what I say. :lol:
Just get out there are ride
Pedal on

Thanks for the compliments Stretch. :lol:
Blue 8)

Latest posts

Back