'69 Sears Spyder restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
My oldest son who is 14... we'll call him "Thug"... watched his 10 year old brother build Derelict Dill for the MBBO and told me he'd like to build a bike. I suggested that instead of an easy custom build like the Dill that he do a much more complicated, labor-intensive restoration like I did for "The Judge". He agreed, so I'm letting him tackle the 24" Sears Sypder I've had in a box for years.

eruhJ8.jpg

I rescued this from an RRB member back in 2012. He was parting it out and had sold most the stuff off it and was going to scrap what was left. I just couldn't bear to let that happen. So I bought it, and have slowly been acquiring parts for it. This will be a straight restoration. No funny business or additions. Just restored chrome and new paint.

A custom spoke guy who lives about 3 hours from me I met via RRB here (someone referred me) has a little side business called "Wheels by Flemming". Taught me how to measure, sent me measuring spokes, and has been very patient and helpful. I've build about 10 sets of wheels with his spokes. His name is Robert, and his e-mail...

[email protected]

The 3 amigos,looks like you need to set them up with their own memberships... Is mini crash entering again?
Good to see the kids getting hands on...

Here's where the rims started...

6AVudX.jpg

XeYKhC.jpg

Rather than soaking them in wood bleach like I did with my last set on The Judge, Thug powered at them with some tools we have.

Na74sH.jpg

I didn't get a chance to take a pic of the back rim before he hit them with primer, but he made some progress while I was working on my build.

We got the frame back from the sand blaster today. It has so many tight spaces we couldn't strip it in our normal ways. One thing I noticed when we got it back was a lot of brass weld drips. So I gave him a file and had him smooth them out.

Kcwv0Z.jpg

He shot it with a coat of etch primer so we could see the frame better.

hW4mNX.jpg

And we did find some dents and divots that needed attention. So, I showed him how to lay some filler down.

ds5yew.jpg

We'll that dry for a day then I'll have him sand them smooth and start with the build primer.

Thanks! On the hunt for a front fender and a stem. PM me if you can help.

On the way :)

Watching this one, seldom see the yellow colored Spyders, ae you going with the ramshorn bars, too ?

On the way :)

Watching this one, seldom see the yellow colored Spyders, ae you going with the ramshorn bars, too ?
I got them. Thanks a bunch!

I had Ramshorns for it, but honestly I didn't like the look at all. And the riding position with them is wrong for a cruising muscle bike.

Latest posts

Back