66' TYPHOON - DETAIL COMPLETE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be completely honest with you here.

I figured that once I opened up my kickback hubs, springs would fly out hit me in the face and I'd be dead in the water.

Nope. It actually isn't that bad. There are plenty of diagrams of them on the internet, and if you use those, you will be fine. Just get the right Bendix cone wrenches... most bike shops that have been around more than 10 years will have them.

You can do it. :D

That violet typhoon is awsome. and The clean up on Steve's is awsome as well.
The violet typhoon was never actually in a catalog but if you ordered through a big enough dealer you could get a bike in any color you want. At least that is what i have learned in my 10 years of collecting. I think I already know the anwser to this question but if your dad ever decides to sell it please let me know. :D Thanks for the pics. Matt

Rat Rod said:
The kickback hub works and functions pretty well, but you can tell it needs to be taken apart and cleaned out to really run smooth.

I know someone will tell me how easy it is to clean out and repack a kickback. :roll: :lol:

Just put the key in the lock and give it a turn. :p You can do it! If you get stuck we'll talk you through it. 8) Gary
DSC04158.jpg

Looks great.

lildietz said:

I figured that once I opened up my kickback hubs, springs would fly out hit me in the face and I'd be dead in the water.

Nope. It actually isn't that bad. There are plenty of diagrams of them on the internet, and if you use those, you will be fine. Just get the right Bendix cone wrenches... most bike shops that have been around more than 10 years will have them.

I agree.

You know the old saying... If I can do it...
Mine was a red band though.

I made my own wrench. Ground down a socket.

lildietz said:

I re-packed a Bendix 2 speed automatic hub not that long ago. It was in a bad way, so I thought I had nothing to lose by re-building it. Anyways, once I took it apart, I realized it wasn't as complicated as it seems.

That said... I would make sure to take it apart and put it together in one sitting. There are a lot of parts that fit together in a very specific order, so you want to make sure you remember where everything went. Also, make sure you have all your cleaning supplies on-hand because there is tons of nasty grease in there.

hey ratrod what MAGIC WATER did you use for this cause man this came out great !!!! i want to clean mines up to ..LMK :D

Latest posts

Back