62 Typhoon Nearing Completion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've mentioned this Typhoon in a couple of other threads, particularly where I've asked advice on a couple of things, but I decided it's time to show what I've gotten done. I'll just post one nice photo for now.

To date:

I have cold set the rear end, spreading the dropouts to about 165 mm and then bending the tips ever so slightly back in to get them somewhat parallel and back to 162 mm width. I then added a new rear wheel with a Shimano Nexus 8 speed coaster brake hub, opting for the Alfine 8/11 speed trigger shifter rather than the twist shifter. I added a new front wheel, and put on Rubena City Hopper 26x2 cream tires with reflective sidewalls. (I love riding after dark.)

I replaced the original black fenders - which I am of course storing for reversion just in case - with some skinnier chrome fenders off of a '72 Varsity, along with the front fork off the same Varsity. That bike had 27 inch wheels, so the fenders and fork are just a tad larger than original, plus the benefit of the chrome crown cap.

I treated the rust inside the fenders and then painted the inside of the fenders a red that was close to the red of the chain. You'll notice you can see more of the chain than normal under the chain guard. I added a small piece to lift the chain guard up to show the chain.

The Crown generator light head has been converted to an LED and is powered by a rechargeable usb power bank battery in the little bag behind the seat. I fully intend to rewire this in a better looking way - I just had it mocked up to test the light and battery pack theory - it works very nicely indeed.

I had a black banana seat with flames and a springer sissy bar on this bike at first. I might put it back on for some photos, but I don't really like it that much. I put an 8 speed coaster brake on this because it is intended as a daily rider. I like my funky Cloud 9 seat.

I've got a period chrome rear rack that I may put on the bike if I don't do the 'nanner seat... but again, this is a rider, not a show bike. I'll probably stay with the modern rack shown. I'll ditch the bags - which were carrying basic tools for this test ride, and the battery pack - in favor of a small ammo box that slides into a groove in the rack.

The rear fender is fitted with tiny red leds that line the red-painted interior of the fender. It produces a very cool look at night. I still need to put the same kind of leds inside the front fender... but first I need to find them! I lose stuff so frequently, geez. I'll have it in my hand one moment and the next moment I am saying, "Aw, man, what the heck? What did I do?" Somewhere, floating around the house here is my other string of leds for the front fender. :)

Once I finish the led wiring and a more permanent wiring of the light, I'll post some night time pix that show the lit-up fenders effects. :)

Thanks - no, I have not tried it without the chain guard. I was going for a fairly original and complete look, with the intentional design twist of bits of red peeking out from under the fenders and chain guard. I purposely stuck with mostly black and white, and just peek-a-boo bits of red rather than using red rims or lots of color in other parts and places. Where the normal vintage bike might have a dirty black chain and you might never notice the underside of the fenders, I've tried to reverse that and make those often ignored surfaces interesting. I also remember seeing some old hot rods, when I was a kid, that were done that way - black and plain at first glance, but when you looked closer you'd notice there were details that gave away that they were built to be faster than they looked - kind of a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Oh, yeah - I forgot to mention... I put some converters on the Ashtabula cranks to let me use 9/16 pedals, and then installed pedals that have a platform on one side and SPD clips on the other side. I just happened to have these pedals around, and I thought it would be funny in a couple days when my neighbor looks this bike over. He's one of those guys who puts on his spandex shorts and helmet to ride his vintage 10 speed around the neighborhood - nothing wrong with that at all - but he kind of turned his nose up at another bike I built. He rides in his sneakers or flip flops, so I'm going to make sure that when I first show him this bike, I'll be wearing proper cleated bike shoes just to kind of make him do a double-take and scratch his head a little.

Latest posts

Back