59 Schwinn Tiger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I wasn't looking for a Tiger but here is what happened. I answered a CL ad and talked to the seller. Turns out he was unable to ride his bike anymore and had nobody to leave it to so he thought he out to sell it. He recieved the bike new at age 12 and it was the only bike he ever needed. Until last year he was using it to get the mail at the end of his long gravel driveway.

Its not quite as original as it looks. Aparently in the late 70's it was impossible to get Schwinn tires in really rural Montana. When he crossed paths with a bike mechanic he had him change the rims to standard 26 inchers. He claims that not only are the hubs and their shiners original, but they kept the original spokes. Not too sure how that works, but I will look further into the spoke thing in daylight. It is also missing the front rack and the chainguard is banged up pretty good.

Not sure what to do with it. Put it back to original or leave it alone? I'm not even sure I want to keep it, but I couldn't pass it up.
tiger001.jpg

tiger006-1.jpg

tiger004.jpg

tiger003-1.jpg

tiger002.jpg

The tire selection is much better for the standard rims. Most people wont' know they are not original.

Black Crown Tattoo said:
Rad...you should name it tony....
My wife was way ahead of you on that one. She came with me to look at it and was calling it Tony before I had it loaded up.

The grips are my favorite part and they are in pretty remarkable shape.

Does anybody know exactly which rack goes on the front of here. It there a difference from year to year or Jaguar to Tiger etc??? Should it be marked Schwinn or Wald? Anybody?

I threw some whitewalls on it today and took it for a spin.
59Schwinn003.jpg

59Schwinn014.jpg

59Schwinn0062.jpg

kngtmat said:
Very nice Tiger, it's nice to see a 59 complete because all I have are 4 parts of one of that year & color.
Do you have a front rack you want to get rid of?

Was the guy you got it from an older man, or did he just get hurt? anyway i'd keep it. Its a beauty for its age and use!

Bikeguy7497 said:
Was the guy you got it from an older man, or did he just get hurt? anyway i'd keep it. Its a beauty for its age and use!
He was 12 when he got the bike in 59 so I guess that puts him at 65. He was walking with a limp and his driveway was fairly long. He said that this was the only bike he ever needed and he just didn't need it anymore. When I gave him the cash he immediatly said that he was going to miss it.

Frankthetank said:
I love that bike, came out looking really good with the whitewalls. I would leave it be. Is it a 26"?
He is a 26 incher. Looks like I might have a line on the correct racks from a member on here.

Latest posts

Back