58s Schwinn Wasp Build (My Dad's old bike)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Well I thought I would post this here also. I got my dads (after he passed away just before Thanksgiving last year) old paper bike that I also used when I delivered papers. I was building up a 70's era bike with a Tecumseh AH600 3hp 2 stroke engine, but thought I would use the Schwinn instead.

Here it is straight out of the shed, looks real rough...
attachment.php

At it's new home in my garage...
attachment.php

With the parts from the Huffy
attachment.php

Looks better already.

The carb mock up...
attachment.php

attachment.php

I scrapped the idea of using a copper elbow after I found out the it wouldn't be a good idea to use copper. I found out after use it would get work harden from engine vibration and would crack and fail due to it would at some point get brittle from being work hardened.

So I made an intake out of steel tubing instead.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Working on the Jack Shaft assembly...
attachment.php

attachment.php

I was also test fitting the location of my generator...
p10-1674C.jpg

Used, LEESON model 46282512P1. Permanent magnet motor. Use for small blowers, pumps, etc.
SPECIFICATIONS

HP 1/25
Voltage 28 DC
Amps 1.8
RPM 4200
Reversible
Duty continuous
Mount face 1-1/4" sq.
Shaft 5/16" diam. x 1-1/2"
Size 2-3/8" diam. x 4-5/8"
Shpg. 3 lbs.

From here http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Thanks, this weekend I installed the carb gasket and got the engine to start up. Still need to tune it and finish the rest of the build. But it ran with the newly rebuilt carb I pulled off of a 3.5hp 4 stroke Tecumseh engine that I have. It needs a muffler for sure because it roars with only a straight pipe on it.

Latest posts

Back