55 Columbia Rebuild ...assembled 99% finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this 55 Columbia for my sister about a month ago. I belive it is all original except the base of the front fender light.Took it apart, cleaned it now in the process of priming and sanding it.I have decals ordered from Maple Island Sales,although I might have to get the colors changed on them at the graphics shop.While this is no way a 100% resto, I do want it all to be period correct and nice and shiny.The wheels were chromed but after cleaning them up the rear had too much pitting,and I decided to paint them white. I had seen some Columbias from the 50s w/ white wheels.I used the straw method for masking. It takes just as long to mask this way but much eaiser to unmask.My sister liked the colors that were on the bike,Robins egg blue and dark blue(ORIGINAL?). Here is a before pic and some progress pics.Oh ,I am laying down the pinstriping first, I will mask that off and then lay down the body color.

BIKEFAMILY049-1.jpg

columbia001.jpg

columbia002.jpg

columbia003.jpg

columbia004.jpg

Re: 55 Columbia Rebuild

Loved how it looked when you got it,but I know you'll do it up right! 8)
L8 EM

Re: 55 Columbia Rebuild ... UPDATE

Ok so I have the bike 95% painted. I know alot of people would say the original paint looks fine ,don't paint it. In reality ,in person it was alot rustier than it looked in pics,If it was my bike I probably would have clearcoated it and called it good. This bike is for my sister and she doesnt appreciate rust as a color. :) I think I underestimated the detail on this bike,very tedious.For taping around the curved lines I used pinstriping as the masking, it worked real well and left pretty clean lines. I will be touching the whole bike up once it goes back together.The lines on the tank need a bit of work. A mudflap that was ordered came in yesterday as well as the decals.The color was changed from blue to the red because of decal issues,after sisters approval :wink:
columbia007.jpg

columbia006.jpg

columbia005.jpg

columbia008.jpg

columbia010.jpg

columbia009.jpg

Re: 55 Columbia Rebuild ... UPDATE

i'd never have the self control to paint a wheel like that
give me a rattle can and youll end up with the whole garden painted
i just get carried away

At first I was concerned about you messing around with the original paint and then I saw the end results and SHAZAM!!!

Beautiful work Harley. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
At first I was concerned about you messing around with the original paint and then I saw the end results and SHAZAM!!!

Beautiful work Harley. :wink:
+1 ! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: although I don't think I would say "SHAZAM".... :wink:

Latest posts

Back