'54 Jag -- Out of the build off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "StockRod6" headlight and truss rods

I finally got some time to make the truss rods and mount them. I'm sure its easy if you know what you are doing but I don't. There are some kinks in the bottom from the axle but it turned out pretty good.
here's me bending them to shape.
rod2.jpg

I used the original ones as a reference then stuck them on the bike and modified them to fit.
rod1.jpg

After I attached them I bent the headlight mount to fit over the fender and taped it where I wanted it. It's leaning to far up I'll have to put a wedge of some sort underneath it.
But this is how it looks so far.
front1.jpg

back.jpg

front2.jpg

It's looking like a Jaguar to me. :p
example.jpg

Re: '54 Jag, truss on and headlight

I mounted the headlight today and thought I should take one more photo before I take it apart to paint.
bikecomplete4.jpg

It turns out I don't need a wedge it points exactly where I need it but there are some gaps I'm not to concerned about.
bikecomplete2.jpg

bikecomplete1.jpg

Taking a bike apart is way easier than putting it together. It took me less than 5 min. ( exaggerated guess) next time I should time myself.
parts.jpg

I'm going to try to have it painted by next week then assembled after that. :)
If the decals don't give me any trouble.

Re: '54 Jag......rack?

After seeing this pic I thought that the bike would look good with a rack, and its just an aftermarket chrome rack which I have too many of anyway. So, I stuck it on to see how it would look.
1_7cd7136704433a4bd2c4acd7bcca9103.jpg

I would mount it differently then it is on my frame.
rack.jpg

Then I thought might as well use my taillight.
And when I held up the taillight to see how it would look, the frame fell over and I caught it but dropped the light.
And it CRACKED! :x
racklight.jpg

It was like NOS, I'm trying to find the chip to glue it back but it slipped under the deck. :x :x
So I might not use it. :cry:

Re: '54 Jag off to paint

Since I decided on the emerald Schwinn green I tried to find a way of making it. So I went to the Autoparts store, where I usually get my paint, and go from paintbook to paintbook trying to decide on a color. I ended up picking some candy green. So he types it up and hands me a quote of how much it'll cost. And it was over $125! :?
The paint I usually get there turns out to be $30 a bike. But these were "special" colors. So I spent all night looking for a solution and found this... http://www.schwinnbikes.com/schwinn-lif ... ette+speed
The color looked pretty close to what I was going for, so I tried a similar technique.
I didn't take a pic of it in primer, I just use some green self etching primer from a can, but I did of the silver undercoat. http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/prod ... ont500.jpg (this is what I use).
SANY0012-1.jpg

SANY0011-1.jpg

And here it is with one layer of green, I think I'll do at least two more coats.
SANY0013.jpg

SANY0014-1.jpg

I really need to get this project done, because I can't work on it part of next week. And I still have to paint the chainguard and light,pinstripe, add decals, and stick it all together! :shock:

I got the second and third coats done. But I'm going to wait a few days for it to dry so I can apply the decals and clearcoat.
Second coat:
secondcoat.jpg

secondcoat2.jpg

Third coat:
thirdcoat.jpg

thirdcoat2.jpg

My bad digital camera can't distinguish the difference between the two, but in person the third has a much darker and richer color. Which is going to look great with the white decals. 8)

Cue the Beavis and Butthead head voices....... huh huh huh,,, he said Jag off..... huh huh huh
Sorry for the low brow, couldn't resist. Nice color!

That color look real good on there..you staying with brown saddle? what kind of grips are you using ? i like the home made truss rods they cam out clean did you a an older truss mount or you made of those too???

jaysmo said:
That color look real good on there..you staying with brown saddle? what kind of grips are you using ? i like the home made truss rods they cam out clean did you a an older truss mount or you made of those too???
I'm staying with the brown Felt saddle, but I am contemplating on making a crash rail for it. :| :?:
For the mount I used the original that came with the bike, it was pretty beat up and I had to bend it back into shape. So there is a small crack in it. I probably wouldn't use it if I wasn't adding a modern fork to the bike.
The truss rods themselves were a little bigger than the rack the bracket was made for so its a tight squeeze and it took some grinding to make it fit.
And for the grips... I'm just using what I have laying around. Which happen to be some White Corvette grips. I was thinking about buying green ones but I can't find a cheap enough pair on Ebay so these will have to do.

Re: '54 Jag--off to paint

kingfish254 said:
Cue the Beavis and Butthead head voices....... huh huh huh,,, he said Jag off..... huh huh huh
Sorry for the low brow, couldn't resist. Nice color!
I should have seen that coming :)

This paint job has been giving me a hard time and there were a lot of set backs.
Now, after the frame and fork are painted, I applied the cheap water slide decals. The ones on the frame fit great but the fork darts wouldn't work and would kink up because the fork wasn't flat like a Schwinn's. So I got angry :x and threw it away.
I've decided to pinstripe it, but the shipping for the tape will be another week. So I have to take it out of the buildoff :cry: and just post the rest in bike builds.
On a happier note the decals turned out better than I expected (except the fork).
jaguardecal.jpg

jaguardecal2.jpg

jaguardecal3.jpg

Hey KickBackCycles,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration.
I remember building car models (in the 60's) and being ticked at the end because of the decals.

I might suggest that you put it together without the pinstiping or other decals and say "Done".
Why not? You've done a lot of good work. Details are great but a ridable bike is better.

If not, I'll look for it in the build section and thanks for sharing it.

YO STOP PLAYING AND SLAP THAT BABY TOGETHER!! WE DON'T CARE BOUT NO STINKY DECALS !! COME ON BUDDY...GET TA BUILDIN'!!

Who cares about decals???!!!
Stay in and go for it!
You kan doooo eeeeettt!!!!

kingfish254 said:
Who cares about decals???!!!
Stay in and go for it!
You kan doooo eeeeettt!!!!

Looks killer to me the way it is! Besides you have 10+ days left! Don't quit now! :!:

KickBackCycles said:
There are actually more problems than the fork decals not fitting. It just made me the most angry.

if there were no issues in this build they would slap em together and sell em at walmart right? for me, dealing with the snags is what makes it interesting! you really need to step back and have a beer and remember what this is all about .. and then get it done!!!! :x

Latest posts

Back