'54 Jag -- Out of the build off...

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF #6' started by KickBackCycles, Jun 5, 2011.

1. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Re: "StockRod6" headlight and truss rods

I finally got some time to make the truss rods and mount them. I'm sure its easy if you know what you are doing but I don't. There are some kinks in the bottom from the axle but it turned out pretty good.
    here's me bending them to shape.
    [​IMG]
    I used the original ones as a reference then stuck them on the bike and modified them to fit.
    [​IMG]
    After I attached them I bent the headlight mount to fit over the fender and taped it where I wanted it. It's leaning to far up I'll have to put a wedge of some sort underneath it.
    But this is how it looks so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's looking like a Jaguar to me. :p
    [​IMG]
  2. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Re: '54 Jag, truss on and headlight

I mounted the headlight today and thought I should take one more photo before I take it apart to paint.
    [​IMG]
    It turns out I don't need a wedge it points exactly where I need it but there are some gaps I'm not to concerned about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Taking a bike apart is way easier than putting it together. It took me less than 5 min. ( exaggerated guess) next time I should time myself.
    [​IMG]
    I'm going to try to have it painted by next week then assembled after that. :)
    If the decals don't give me any trouble.
  3. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Re: '54 Jag (new name)

Looking good! It's 'aging' quite nicely.... :mrgreen:

Can't wait to be it go to color and assembly.

Cheers,
    Dr. T
  4. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Re: '54 Jag......rack?

After seeing this pic I thought that the bike would look good with a rack, and its just an aftermarket chrome rack which I have too many of anyway. So, I stuck it on to see how it would look.
    [​IMG]
    I would mount it differently then it is on my frame.
    [​IMG]
    Then I thought might as well use my taillight.
    And when I held up the taillight to see how it would look, the frame fell over and I caught it but dropped the light.
    And it CRACKED! :x
    [​IMG]
    It was like NOS, I'm trying to find the chip to glue it back but it slipped under the deck. :x :x
    So I might not use it. :cry:
  5. whoinphx

whoinphx

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Re: '54 Jag...rack?

Heartbreak Hotel..... Looking great regardless...
  6. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Re: '54 Jag off to paint

Since I decided on the emerald Schwinn green I tried to find a way of making it. So I went to the Autoparts store, where I usually get my paint, and go from paintbook to paintbook trying to decide on a color. I ended up picking some candy green. So he types it up and hands me a quote of how much it'll cost. And it was over $125! :?
    The paint I usually get there turns out to be $30 a bike. But these were "special" colors. So I spent all night looking for a solution and found this... http://www.schwinnbikes.com/schwinn-lif ... ette+speed
    The color looked pretty close to what I was going for, so I tried a similar technique.
    I didn't take a pic of it in primer, I just use some green self etching primer from a can, but I did of the silver undercoat. http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/prod ... ont500.jpg (this is what I use).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here it is with one layer of green, I think I'll do at least two more coats.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I really need to get this project done, because I can't work on it part of next week. And I still have to paint the chainguard and light,pinstripe, add decals, and stick it all together! :shock:
  7. MplsCoaster

MplsCoaster

0   0   0

Nice job on the paint and the bike!
    It's gonna look much cooler than your Schwinn mag pic. :D

Keep up the good work!
  8. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I got the second and third coats done. But I'm going to wait a few days for it to dry so I can apply the decals and clearcoat.
    Second coat:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Third coat:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My bad digital camera can't distinguish the difference between the two, but in person the third has a much darker and richer color. Which is going to look great with the white decals. 8)
  9. kingfish254

kingfish254 Check out the 30+ Items in my FOR SALE thread! Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0

Cue the Beavis and Butthead head voices....... huh huh huh,,, he said Jag off..... huh huh huh
    Sorry for the low brow, couldn't resist. Nice color!
  10. jaysmo

jaysmo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

That color look real good on there..you staying with brown saddle? what kind of grips are you using ? i like the home made truss rods they cam out clean did you a an older truss mount or you made of those too???
  11. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm staying with the brown Felt saddle, but I am contemplating on making a crash rail for it. :| :?:
    For the mount I used the original that came with the bike, it was pretty beat up and I had to bend it back into shape. So there is a small crack in it. I probably wouldn't use it if I wasn't adding a modern fork to the bike.
    The truss rods themselves were a little bigger than the rack the bracket was made for so its a tight squeeze and it took some grinding to make it fit.
    And for the grips... I'm just using what I have laying around. Which happen to be some White Corvette grips. I was thinking about buying green ones but I can't find a cheap enough pair on Ebay so these will have to do.
  12. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Re: '54 Jag--off to paint

I should have seen that coming :)
  13. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

This paint job has been giving me a hard time and there were a lot of set backs.
    Now, after the frame and fork are painted, I applied the cheap water slide decals. The ones on the frame fit great but the fork darts wouldn't work and would kink up because the fork wasn't flat like a Schwinn's. So I got angry :x and threw it away.
    I've decided to pinstripe it, but the shipping for the tape will be another week. So I have to take it out of the buildoff :cry: and just post the rest in bike builds.
    On a happier note the decals turned out better than I expected (except the fork).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. MplsCoaster

MplsCoaster

0   0   0

Hey KickBackCycles,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration.
    I remember building car models (in the 60's) and being ticked at the end because of the decals.

I might suggest that you put it together without the pinstiping or other decals and say "Done".
    Why not? You've done a lot of good work. Details are great but a ridable bike is better.

If not, I'll look for it in the build section and thanks for sharing it.
  15. Jake Sensi

Jake Sensi

0   0   0

YO STOP PLAYING AND SLAP THAT BABY TOGETHER!! WE DON'T CARE BOUT NO STINKY DECALS !! COME ON BUDDY...GET TA BUILDIN'!!
  16. kingfish254

kingfish254 Check out the 30+ Items in my FOR SALE thread! Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0

Who cares about decals???!!!
    Stay in and go for it!
    You kan doooo eeeeettt!!!!
  17. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

There are actually more problems than the fork decals not fitting. It just made me the most angry.
  18. imagearchy

imagearchy

0   0   0

2 weeks to put a bicycle together is a long time! I say stay in too. anybody Second the vote?
  19. pick

pick Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Looks killer to me the way it is! Besides you have 10+ days left! Don't quit now! :!:
  20. scrumblero

scrumblero

0   0   0

if there were no issues in this build they would slap em together and sell em at walmart right? for me, dealing with the snags is what makes it interesting! you really need to step back and have a beer and remember what this is all about .. and then get it done!!!! :x