'54 Jag -- Out of the build off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "StockRod6" future pic on Ebay link

Update:
When I was disassembling the bike I had no intention of putting fenders on it. Then I decided to make this project but it was to late...
The bolt on the fender was stuck and I was fed up with it. So I cut it off. :oops: Which was STUPID now that I look back at it.
Here's a pic.
missingmount.jpg

So yesterday a made a new mount from an old chainguard.
mount1.jpg

Since I don't have a welder I had to bring it to someone that does. And they drilled the fork for me because it took me over 30 minutes with my drill and I barley scratched it. Here's the pics. They did a nice job. :)
fixed.jpg
and
forkdrilled.jpg

Right now I'm cutting the fender so the brakes can mount then I'll put it together hopefully by tomorrow but no promises.
I still have to wait for my tube benders to ship in so I can make some truss rods. Then it'll go off for paint. And by "go off" I mean I'll paint it. 8)

Re: "StockRod6" Together (sort of)

Some of these parts aren't going to be on the bike like the chainguard and trussrods, I will have some but not these exact ones. The back fender isn't fully mounted and the rear wheel isn't on yet because I didn't want to deal with it (its hard). So here you go. Ones in color and the other is in b&w so you can see how it looks together with out the distraction of color. I think its looking like a Jag. 8)
Throwntogether.jpg

Throwntogether2.jpg

web.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p :p :) :) :) :) :) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I just got my CHAINGUARD :!: I love getting things in the mail, especially parts! :D :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p :p :) :) :) :) :) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fork

I found a plain red Schwinn fork. It isn't drilled for a caliper brake and would be difficult to do. I can send a picture if you're interested and you can have it for the cost of shipping.

I got the rear fender cutout for the brakes. I thought they would clear the fenders but I guess they don't. Do they look okay? Its hard to see but its underneath the brake.
cutout.jpg

I put the chain on and tried to adjust the derailleur, but I have never worked with one before. Not a good choice for a build with a deadline. So its giving me trouble. If you can see in the pictures can you tell me if I'm doing anything wrong, or tell me any tips you might have?
BIKE
SANY0011.jpg

derailleur
SANY0014.jpg

SANY0012.jpg

Looks like you need another cable lug to pivot the whole mech these are a pain at best of times Good Luck

I'm not 100% sure of this, so someone else feel free to confirm or deny. The derailler you are using is for index shifting and you have a friction shifter. Try changing deraillers or your shifter. Do you have a grip shift you can try? Or any older derailler using friction shifting will work.

Thanks for the concern, but I got the shifter working. I'll have to make some adjustments on it because it "clunks" shifting from some gears. Then I put on the chain guard and it FIT!
I was certain I would have to cut or do something to it, and it looks great. :D
Before guard
without.jpg

After, you can even see the sun shine because the guard fit perfectly!
withguard.jpg

Chainguard over cluster
fits2.jpg

fits.jpg

All I have to do now is make some truss rods, I was thinking of using aluminum rods, and mounting the headlight on the fender.
Here's the headlight I ordered, I'm going to paint it and hope it looks like a delta rocket light.
21HSKO1-nfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

50PantherLight.JPG

I assume you're using a new or good used derailleur chain for a 5-or 6-speed setup. This would be a 3/32" chain.

The front sprocket, I wasn't really paying attention to what it came from. If it's from a 1-spd or 3-spd bike, it will be thicker, designed for 1/8" single speed chain, and it'll bind and wrap the chain in front. If it's the right sprocket you're all set there.

Getting the derailleur to work and line up with this frame could require a little artful bending of the bracket (derailleur hanger) and repositioning of it to make sure it's lined up right. Also, total chain length may be off, pulling the tensioner either too hard in low gears, or too slack in the high (small) gears.

If it's too slack, you'll need to take out a couple links so the tensioner runs correctly. You don't want the chain on its bottom run to touch the upper of the two tensioner wheels... in other words when the tensioner is fully relaxed, it must not rotate quite horizontal or the chain will hit it. Shortening the chain may do it for you. Looking through your pics, this *may* be the problem you're having.

The cable looks ok, though you might want to cut the silver crimped end off the cable to get it to seat better in the adjusting bolt. Many derailleur cables do not need a finished end for this application and won't fit the bolt correctly.

The shifter should work as long as you're happy fiddling to get the right gear. An indexed derailleur isn't really different from any other type, and my guess is that it's a department store cheapy brand anyway, so I'd think it can be made to work. A different one from another bike might work better, might not, and they'll all require correct adjustment.

Hope this helps- the bike looks great- carry on!

--Rob

KickBackCycles said:
I put the chain on and tried to adjust the derailleur, but I have never worked with one before. Not a good choice for a build with a deadline. So its giving me trouble. If you can see in the pictures can you tell me if I'm doing anything wrong, or tell me any tips you might have?

Right now I'm using the front sprocket that came with the derailleur. Its a cheap huffy but it was... cheap. To make it more of a Schwinn look I'll be switching it out for a new Schwinn Jaguar sprocket, the 7 speed bikes.
Jaguar.jpg

And here's my parts bike
partsbike.jpg

I don't know what I'm going to do about the shifter. Are there any grip shifts that come in a six speed?

Re: "StockRod6" seat change "felt"

I found this going through my garage today. I wasn't using it on anything so I stuck it on and took it for a spin.
I think the seat fits the bike perfectly. I can set the seat post low for looks and since the seat springs are so big I can still ride it. 8)
I think I'm going to use that Messenger seat on something else anyway.
Here it is...
seat1.jpg

Does anyone know how to take the "felt" emblem of the seat?
seat2.jpg

Bike is looking NICE! Don't know if you made your truss rods yet. But some guys, in the past, have used automotive brake lines. Might be cheaper then aluminum rod.

"Does anyone know how to take the "felt" emblem of the seat? "
RatRod Bikes.com sticker :wink: :wink:

Re: "StockRod6" Together (sort of), truss rods

I'll look into automotive brake lines as an alternative ( I hadn't seen the price of aluminum tubes yet).
I'm going to use this to bend them http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 8194442301, they should ship to my house tomorrow. I'm excited to see if this works. I have so many other bikes that need truss rods.
Is this kit, or similar, what you guys use to bend tubes?

Re: "StockRod6" Together (sort of), headlight

I got my headlight in the mail today and it looks pretty close to a Delta.
I haven't decided if I am going to paint the whole thing or leave the visor chrome.
I wonder what the two bulbs are for?
headlight2.jpg

headlight3.jpg

Latest posts

Back