'54 Jag -- Out of the build off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "JAGomatic"

I've figured out which seat to use. But I have to recover it.
Its a 50's Messenger and I think that's what the Jags used.
schwinn4.jpg

Also found some more inspiration.
Not sure whether to go with..
RED
1786194736_22e4666e26_b.jpg

BLACK
schwinn-american.jpg

or GREEN
1953schwinnjaguar1.jpg

Instead of changing out the 6 external speed hub and putting in a 2 speed I think I'll just keep it. I think it will give it a more modern look like if Schwinn put out a new Jaguar cruiser. Oh wait they do.
Jaguar.jpg

Ok, If Schwinn put out a new good quality, good looking Jaguar cruiser. That's the look I'm going for.
Which means I need a new name because the "omatic" doesn't apply anymore.

Finally got to my seat today. I've been looking around on RRB and found some good posts explaining how to recover in leather. But for now I'm just taking it apart. Thought this was something I should document even though its not that important. Here are some pics.
seatrestoration.jpg

Whats the sticky stuff? Is it old glue, it looks like tar.
Sticky.jpg

Since I'm going to be making my own truss rods, I'll be using the red fork without a hole for a brake. I have to add on the wheel to see where to drill. And I'm really liking the look. I should almost keep it bare metal.
mockup1.jpg

The only problem was the 6 speed cluster on the back wheel. It was too big for the Schwinn, but I was determined. So I got someone to help me and we pulled it until it made a snug fit over the hub. That was a relief. If it didn't fit I wouldn't know what to do.
I just hope the tight fit won't hurt the frame.
SANY0003.jpg

Also the bearings in the fork don't seem to screw down that far is this normal?
gap.jpg

Re:"StockRod6" name change from "JAGomatic"

Here's the new guard I ordered from Ebay. It was a little pricey but it came with a free decal!
guard62a2.jpg

So far I spent $55 on the whole project most of that ($45) was the chain guard.

KickBackCycles said:
Also the bearings in the fork don't seem to screw down that far is this normal?
gap.jpg

on a schwinn from that era, yes.
i'm aslo pretty sure the balls in the caged bearings face the race not the crown(cup)

Re: "StockRod6" name change from "JAGomatic"

Its strange, I was trying to look at some Schwinn racers (the only Schwinns I have assembled fully (now)) and they had a completely different fork setup. So I wasn't sure. Thanks for the reply.

Here's a sketch of what the JAG should look like (no color).
jaguarsketch.jpg

I'm thinking I'll make it green, but I'm not sure. :?:
And the light on the front is a modified bullet headlight. I'm too cheap for a Delta.

Re: Re:"StockRod6" name change from "JAGomatic"

Hey KBC,
Do you have the sellers name on that chainguard? I could use one for my 'secret' project (non-buildoff dream bike)

Any help, would be .....well...help. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob

KickBackCycles said:
Here's the new guard I ordered from Ebay. It was a little pricey but it came with a free decal!
guard62a2.jpg

So far I spent $55 on the whole project most of that ($45) was the chain guard.

I'm a big fan of all things green (except the algae in my fish tank) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you're looking to get a 'modern' shade and not duplicate to classic Schwinn greens, take a look at Krylon's Hosta Green. Nice deep color, but has a 'creamy' look (that's the only word I could think of).

Cheers.
Dr. T

I'll have to look into that paint. I'm not sure what shade of green I should use.
More importantly the dealer I bought it from on ebay is bicyclebones. The item is called Schwinn Phantom Autocycle Hornet Bicycle Chainguard.

This is a cool bike, kind of what I'm going for. The price too but I was thinking more like $3500 for my bike. :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0529942750
But I'm not sure why they're calling it a ten speed. It looks more like an internal 7 or 8.
F.Y.I. just because you have a bunch of useless info. and a magazine article doesn't mean you can have a higher price.

i went to that link to see what you were talking about, once i saw the name i read no further. it is a really nice ride, i will admit that.

So you think I might have to "ccchhhhopp" the guard to fit?
Wow, I never thought I would use the word chop to describe a bike, that was hard to type. :)

Re: "StockRod6" future pic on Ebay link

Here's a better Ebay add. http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-1954-Schwinn-B ... 43a7996ecf
If you notice in my earlier posts, for listing colors I had to use a Schwinn American as an example because I've never found an image of a Black Jaguar. Then, one pops up on Ebay and it won't let me save a pic! :x
I guess I'll have to enjoy the add while it lasts...now I'm reconsidering the color of my Jag again. :|

KGrHqJjYE3MEwIyDBN7nqJovUg_3.jpg

very cool chain gaurds. I had the same one on my 1972/1973 5 speed SCHWINN. you will have to shave th back side of the top lip wear it meets the rear frame drop out. to make it clear the cear cluster. but if done right from the front side. you would never know looking at it that it was cut!

I also like a non-traditional green. Maybe metal flake? The pinstriping you drew looks good.

The chain guard jutting farther forward that the chain ring is what "works" for me.
Don't be afraid of the "chop" :lol:

Keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Back