53 tornado twin tube

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one poped up on my local cl Sunday as a 53 men's schwinn with no picks and no number so we started emailing back and fourth and finally got a pick yesterday
42969853.jpg

and than set up a time to come take a look at it and it was worth the wate if you ask me
1b5d239b.jpg

72c8b39b.jpg

ecec7b80.jpg

I have never had a schwinn approved hub either which is cool. And my plans with this one is a good wax and a banana seat and som apes

Gebolys77 said:
And my plans with this one is a good wax and a banana seat and som apes

That's all that it needs. 8) Nice score!

Well this is it reskined a old seat with a old burlap bag that I thought was cool and swaped out the stem too rides really nice
14175128.jpg

7c74e19a.jpg

0b91a6fe.jpg

6f5e731e.jpg

The paint looks great on that bike. However, the Tornado didn't come out until 57. Still a 50's Schwinn though.

When I ran the serialnumber I got that its march 13-16 of 1953 but I guess I could be wrong
3d554301.jpg

and Can any one help me out on this one my question why on the twin tube typhoon the tubes run to the rear dropout and on mine thay stop at the seat post tube?
7c3ed382.jpg

8224c4d0.jpg

And the skipper twin tube is the same too
dd3a64a9.jpg

148c26e9.jpg

Sep 06 1960, it has 6 numerals in the number. Still a great bike, 52 years old. There was a discussion here a couple years ago about those frames and why they made 2 versions, I don't remember if anyone knew why. But either one is good and not that common.

Nice finds! The red one is a '60, and that variation was only '58-61 I believe. But the black frame, how the two tubes actually loop down into the seat stays, was a '62 frame only and it was only with the Typhoon model. Great stuff! Unique frames indeed. Enjoy!

I'm amazed how shiny and bright that old Schwinn paint shines after more than 50 years. I read some more on those frames, they went to the continuous bars in 1961, so the last year for the separate twin bars was 1960. My friend's Skipper with the continuous bars was 61, so that makes sense. That's probably a great riding bike too, the only problem I have is with the old Schwinn S seats, they lose all cushioning. I added a gel pad to mine, it works well and doesn't change the look of the seat. I made a thread on how I did it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27245&hilit=+gel

Latest posts

Back