'51 Western Flyer "Lead Sled"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been picturing a early 50's Mercury during this build. I'm not too sure why, just something that has been stuck in my head I will try to post as many pictures and updates as I can. I started with this frame/ fork combo:

photo1-4.jpg

I picked up a seat, tank, and crank:

photo4.jpg

I finally got time to get the wheels, tires, apes, and fenders on it this weekend.

photo1-4-2.jpg

Great start to a classic frame/fork :!: I have the same bike that is branded a Hiawatha sitting in the garage waiting for me to figure out what to do with it.I will be keeping an eye on this one.I really like that seat and post combo 8) The apes are kinda cool.Are those the fenders that were made to fit that frame with the ridges on the tail end?Looks good so far and I can't wait to see where you take this build.It is taking on that Merc look.Have fun :!:

I'm not sure what the fenders came off, I am pretty sure they are close to what was originally on the bike. I believe they are called "peaked" Thanks for the comments. Might be pretty slow going from here on out.

Wow! I think its cool! I've got his two brothers (on your post when you got yours) and that makes want to get going on mine.Sorry but I just can't stand that fork you have on yours! Cause I"D LOVE TO HAVE IT ON MINE !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes I am going to leave it skip tooth. I bought a rear cog that works with a modern shimano hub. Thanks for the kind words. I added some skirt guards last night, still need to get them secured and should be getting my chain guard any time.

photo4-1.jpg

awsum build my kinda project i be watchn your progress were did u get the cog from i got sum walmart wheels and i want to make it a skiptooth also

Those skirt guards are sweet!What did they come from?Very cool.

Not too much, I secured the skirts, mounted a chain guard, and put some grips on it. I'll post some pictures soon. I think I want to use old school heat wrap for the grips instead, just have not had time to get some and do it!

Latest posts

Back