50's / 60's Murry's / J.C. Higgins project bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so after having my on-going modern cruiser project stolen last month (based off a 26" ecosmo bike) I managed to score a new project off of ebay. a lovely barn find (including dead cicadas in the tank) not sure how original all the parts are to the bike and it's had a repaint in the past that I've slowly managed to clear away to reveal some of the remaining decals on the rack and the tank (looks like a Chevy V on the side of the tank ).

I'm not going to paint etc. as I cant decide what to do so it's just getting a was and clean. I'm thinking of upgrading the rear hub from the Komet super to a 3 speed coaster and maybe updating the bottom bracket as it'll be a daily ride in London an there's a few hills around. only other add on will be a torpedo light and probably be some pinstriping in true Dutch / Roth style.

I do need to locate a new fork crown as it's almost entirely worn through

images are a mix of the ebay pics and my work in progress images. I've already re-greased the hubs and re built them ready for truing.

if anyone has a clue as to what the bike is as it's missing the head badge I'd love to know.

Bike 1.jpg
Bike 2.jpg
Bike 3.jpg
Bike 4.jpg
Bike 5.jpg
Bike 6.jpg
Bike 7.jpg
Bike 8.jpg
Bike 9.jpg
Bike 10.jpg
DSC_0170.JPG
DSC_0171.JPG
DSC_0185.JPG
DSC_0188.JPG
DSC_0192.JPG
DSC_0200.JPG
DSC_0212.JPG
DSC_0213.JPG
IMG_20170819_183149_623.jpg
IMG_20170819_183149_624.jpg
DSC_0191.JPG

well some other bits to add about the bike.

As per the photo it's stamped on the bottom bracket: MOS 12 X 93 , 103179.
Saddle is marked: ELYRIA OHIO MADE IN USA.
Coaster brake marked: KOMET SUPER 2.8 F&S .C.
The rear reflector on the fender (mudguard) is marked : STRATO LITE SAEB68 52

Don't know what is useful from the above information for dating etc. but it's all the marks I have found so far.

Looks like an awesome project :thumbsup:

JC Higgins. Sears sold JC Higgins and Murray made spaceliners, look the same. Based on sears timing, seat is around 1962. Murrays had double top tubes.

I just acquired one and took it apart. 64/65 murray frame, missing rear rack, 62 seat, missing tank, odd collectuon of parts
20170908_185804.jpg

very nice looking bikes .

how do you date the frame ?

annoyingly I discovered while trying to put the bike back together that the forks are a 24" not the 26" that there meant to be so I'm now busy trying to find a suitably ratty looking set of 26" forks. I also now have to have a front brake added (discussed in another part of the forum) due to UK law. still all part of the fun :)

Im no expert on these, im goinh with sinhle top tube as JC Higgins and double top tube as murray for sears sold spaceliners. Your bike looks the same as the sears spaceliners by JC Higgins. Hopefully a more knowledgeable member will chime in

My jc higgins is twin top tube, my hiawatha has the same red and white seat and single top tube. Both are murray built, this one looks alot like the hiawatha. Im a rookie when it comes too this but ive gotten alot of help from guys in the bike ID forum section.

Yes, this one is also a Murray built, (just like the one that needed the front brake). http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/adding-front-brakes-to-a-50s-60s-murry-bike.104484/
There was a website (now closed) that explained some Murray serial numbers; they explained that S = 1960, MO5 = Murray Ohio 1965, but yours is MOS.
A serno prefix MOD-502 meant a bike was Sears catalog item.
Early Murray Missile bikes had a tank just for the looks, no batteries, switch, wires, bulbs, and - - - no hole(s) in front, perhaps with a fender-mounted headlight (see fender holes), then later, they integrated a light back onto the front of the tank (eliminating the head badge & holes); the apex were the Horn-Tank-Light models. So, I believe yours is an earlier 1960, (with production being about 1959 to 1968 or so). Not sure when they started moving the cantilevers from the back of the down tube to the sides (Jet Fire model), or if both those models were concurrent, or not.
Who sold your Murray built bike - hard to tell, maybe clean-up the chain guard or look through the paint for some lettering or paint pattern that can be recognized? It might even be a Murray-built Murray Missile!
Other candidates are Western Auto, Gambles, Gimbels, Goodrich, Firestone, Pennies, Jordan Marsh, K-Mart, Sears, and so on.

Last edited:
My wife and I have a pair of these Murray built bikes. Mines a 1970's Gambles Hiawatha and she rides a 1956 Western Flyer...
index.php

Not been around for a bit due to other commitments but I managed to get what I think is the correct set of forks for the bike now and i'm going to upgrade the rear hub to a 3 speed Sturmey Archer AWC with coaster break. and the fronts going to get a 70 mm Aluminium X-FDD Drum break with dyno hub.

so fingers crossed to getting it sorted for this year.

thanks for all the information and replies everyone, sorry it's taken a while to reply.

Latest posts

Back