5/18 UPDATE!! "MOAB" 26 Inch Schwinn BMX Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called it "MOAB" because it's one big bomb and for me, it also stands for Mother Of All Bikes. I thought I should post my progress here rather than hijacking Steve's post on his Elgin Moto-X. :wink:

DSCN3191.jpg

My mission was to build this bike on a budget of $100 or less, using parts I already had or could scrounge up on the cheap. I have $55 in the frame and fork, $30 in the rims and one tire, and $20 in the 13/16 NOS fluted seatpost. The rest of the parts; headset, bars, seatpost clamp, bars, stem (which I might swap out), seat, front tire, tubes, and bottom bracket I stole from beaters, incompletes, and junk bikes. I still need to jack some Hunt Wilde waffle grips from a Schwinn I have and gold brakes from another bike I don't ride.

As you can see, I've busted my budget....so, I got some more stuff too. :lol: More pics to come. :)
I'm still lacking a few parts, but overall I'm very happy with how it's going.

I'm still tracking these parts...

MKS or KKT black, gold, or chrome rat trap pedals and an IZUMI nickel or gold chain.

Can't wait until it's finished and I can cruise it. 8) Let me know whatcha think.

Re: "MOAB" 26 Inch Schwinn BMX Cruiser

Oh yeah, this is how it all started a few weeks back.

DSCN3119.jpg

Looks great. I like you are paying attention to all the parts.

I like your avatar" Fossil Fuels are Yummy" I looked for it online but looks like they don' t see the sticker anymore. :(

Whoa....that puppy is awesome...very nice work.

Where did you find the wheels for $30?....that was a heckuhvah deal! :D

Gotta love them anodized parts.

cman, thanks for the compliments. Yeah, it's a bummer they don't sell that sticker anymore. I wonder if they fell prey to all the "green" merchents and decided to stop selling em.

Steve, I found the wheels earlier this year and had planned to use them on another build. Since I couldn't find anymore in my price range, I decided to use them on the MOAB instead.

Like most of my projects, I start saying to myself, "OK, Jeff, we're not going to spend a bajillion dollars like we did on the last one, right?.....right?.......HELLO......anyone there?"

I just bought a OGK oval number plate, gold IZUMI chain, gold prism numbers, and some other prism decals too. As you can see, my right and left brain are no longer on speaking terms. :lol:

I got super lucky. I found someone on another site who was kind enough to send me some NOS Tange TX-1200 fork decals free of charge. Thanks Rick! Sorry, had to send a shout out.

Still lacking just the right pedals and vinyl snap pads....

I'm guessing you have some brakes lined up too. :wink:

Love the black and gold color combo...it looks great!

Thanks! The gold and black looks sorta King Stingish.

Yes, I have some gold MX 1000s with a dark yellow cable. I'm also toying w/ the idea of swapping out the SR stem for a gold 4 bolts MCS stem I have. We'll see.

That's SICK!!!!

Very cool!

sent " Snorton " a message on E bay..
he usually has Izumi chains....not always listed.

some Black Rad caps would look killa!!!
kev.

Thanks for the compliments. I actually got my hands on a NOS gold IZUMI chain and a few other things. I wound up going w/ a set of Willinois gold valve caps. Gotta support the a small business man. :D

I also swapped the stem for a gold MCS 4 bolt I had on a dusty KZ-1. It looks waaaaaaaaay better.

I'll have pics of the completed bike up soon. Maybe a week or two.

First, let me start by saying I HATE gold. Second, let me say that it looks amazing on your bike. :eek:

Wow! You have made me actually like gold. Kudos.

I had a similar BMX seat on my current cruiser. My taint still hasn't forgiven me.

looks great! you,ratrod,and cman need to take them out to the trails and take some pics!!!(cman is excused from this since he posted a vid in the build off.......unless he want to post more :wink: )

slacker said:
I had a similar BMX seat on my current cruiser. My taint still hasn't forgiven me.

:lol: That's funny!

I do plan on switching the seat for longer rides. This will be more of a street cruiser than a trail or track blaster, so the light weight seat isn't of much concern. I just think it looks better in pics than a sofa on a seat post.

Sensor, I would like to get a pic of me doing a wheelie on it. There's just something very cool about seeing a 26 incher up on one wheel. I hope me doing the wheelie doesn't take anything away from the pic. :p

Also, thanks for the compliment on the gold parts. It's a good sign that a build is on the right track if it can change a person's opinion.

Small update: I put the gold IZUMI chain on it this morning...It looks like horse crap....

Anyone have a nickle IZUMI they want to trade for a gold one? :lol:

sensor said:
looks great! you,ratrod,and cman need to take them out to the trails and take some pics!!!(cman is excused from this since he posted a vid in the build off.......unless he want to post more :wink: )

Thanks I might beat them in the up hills (5spd)-but I am sure there brakes are better than my drums.

Hutch- I can' t wait to see the finished pics. The black and gold is Bling, bling.

cman said:
Gold Pedals. Not name brand but got the look
http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-School-Gold-Ano ... dZViewItem
7f7c_2.JPG

Thanks for the link. I did see those one ebay, but I'm still holding out hope for what I'm really looking for, those KKT, MKS, or SR rat traps in gold.

For the summer, I'll probably just run some flat pedals so I can ride barefoot (hillbilly style!).

Latest posts

Back