48 Roadmaster front wheel installation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a New Departure front hub on this Roadmastwr. When I took off the wheel there are no lock nuts for the cones. The cones themselves have hex nuts. But how do you keep them adjusted without a lock nut. I have read that some bikes didnt have lock nuts. But I dont know. Could someone tell me the correct way the front wheel is installed. As in what order does everything go on.
Thank you

At first I tried to clamp. Vice Grips on the axle in an effort to raise the threads enough to have the cone nuts grab and not move. Then I used the washers that have tabs that engage the slots in the fork + also enclose the flats on adjustment cone
I also machined some cones down to where they served as lock nuts but the assembly was too wide. I have one wheel that I removed the ND and replaced it with a Schwinn script hub. My last project had to be original and since the fork had closed dropouts I marked everything with a witness line and put it together with all lines where I wanted them. All the other methods I used would allow wheel to lose adjustment.

Nope. With that style of hub, you must first install the wheel on the bike and tighten one side to the fork. Then, insert the cone wrench between the hub and the fork blade on the opposite side to make your adjustment. Finish by securing the flare nut while preserving the adjustment with the cone wrench. What you'll end up with is a cone-fork-nut sandwich on each side.

Yup...it's awkward, but that's part of the reason a cone wrench is so slender--it can reach in between the shell and the fork, wiggle the cone around, and still be removed after everything is snug.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back