1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There is a solution for the broken Photobucket image issue on forums. If you use Firefox or Chrome, go into the Extensions (Chrome) or Add-Ons (Firefox) and search for "Photobucket Embed Fix" - it will have an icon that looks like a green piece from a jigsaw puzzle. Install the extension/add-on, restart your browser (Chrome) and you should be able to see all of the Photbucket images again.
    Dismiss Notice

'42 Hawthorne. "The Answer" (Finished)

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by ruddigger, May 12, 2012.

1. ruddigger

ruddigger

I picked up this ratty Hawthorne off Craigslist a few months back, I think the seller is a member, (speak up if it was you!) I wanted to keep it ratty, I think I've succeeded. This is the second build I've put on here, hopefully it's better recieved than the last one was. Bonus points if you know why I named it "The Answer."

This is the way it was when I bought it, minus the wheels and tires, which I moved over from my Schwinn DX.
    [​IMG]

I switched out the bars, and threw on some clay brick tires that I got from Chimichanga. I also threw the skiptooth chain from my DX on it, but it was a bit too short. I added a few links from a different chain, check out my "master link."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought a chrome Nirve headlight, but it was way too modern looking, not to mention shiny.
    [​IMG]

This will make a much more suitable light, don't you think?
    [​IMG]

Trainmen's lantern added, bars switched out yet again.
    [​IMG]

Rollfast tank purchased from eBay, it had a horn that didn't work, I replaced it with one that did. I also threw the Nirve headlight on the back as a taillight. It's still way too shiny though. Also got my Brooks saddle installed. Sexy seat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Antiqued the taillight, and threw on some red auto light repair tape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chainguard acquired from a guy at that "other" forum. I think it's supposed to be for a Shelby?
    [​IMG]

Took it to the first ever SoCal Rat Rod ride. You can see my last build behind it. (purple)
    [​IMG]

Redid the taillight lens, that tape was way too crappy looking. I removed it and painted it instead.
    [​IMG]

Picked up a set of ducktail fenders from Chimichanga. a little time with a cut off wheel and a rivet gun, and now it's a bobbed fender. With the chain indent and ducktail still intact. Again, way too shiny though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Antiqued the fender.
    [​IMG]

2. ruddigger

ruddigger

Aaaaand done.

Finished pictures, taken this morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. What process did you use to "Antique the fender"? That is awesome!

4. ruddigger

ruddigger

I painted it red, then sanded it to dull it. Then I dabbed on alternating copper and silver paint for texture. After that I dabbed it with liquid shoe polish for darker spots and an old dirty look. Hitting it with a hammer doesn't hurt either. ;) Thanks for the kind words.

5. Houndog

Houndog

Yes Do tell..... Way cool bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. dogdart

dogdart

Very nice 8)

7. Bigdaddy772

Bigdaddy772

Nice looking bike. Great job!!!

8. KC so-cal

KC so-cal

That would have made a great build off bike. great job!!

9. Vintagebikelover24

Vintagebikelover24

Amazing bike!!!! But I do have one question...exactly how much did this all cost? because I wanna do a build like this so badly!

10. ruddigger

ruddigger

The frameset was the most expensive part, the rest of it was junk I had lying around or scrounged together. It's certainly doable on any budget.

11. Vintagebikelover24

Vintagebikelover24

Okay thanks I guess I just need to save up some money for the frame

12. mrfritz

mrfritz

This bike is AWSOME... I really love how the tires picking up patina is adding to it. It seems like a bike that will only improve with use!

13. wcc

wcc

Every once in a while on this forum you across a builder who is not afraid to go there and not afraid to take you there. Patina is in the rat baby. 8)
    That bike is nice man. :D
    wcc

14. SCHWINNRAY69

SCHWINNRAY69

Cool bike :D Love the patina 8)

15. MadMax '58

MadMax '58

16. ruddigger

ruddigger

Thanks everybody.

17. Kevintothej

Kevintothej